Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Looking to Move Up...Scout.com Article (Merge)

SkinsNoles21

Kelly Jennings...sweet

The man is drawing comparisons to Phillip Buchanon, Texans fans hate him... not to mention Kelly Jennings cant tackle well at all.

The only people that really make me wanna get them are Roger McIntosh/OLB/Miami Fl. , DeMeco Ryans/OLB/Alabama , Antonio Cromartie/CB/Florida State, and Ashton Youbouty/CB/Ohio State.

Im really hoping we get Cornerback Antonio Cromartie from Florida State though.

if he is being compared to buchanon, that is not so good. if buchanon was half decent, the raiders wouldnt have traded him to the texans for some picks. plus, oaklands secondary blew ass this year so if they traded him, they must have really not liked him

You are talking about 2 different things...

-We interviewed V. Davis at the combine, which everyone does.

-Bringing players in for a personal workout is something completely different.

Ah...good point. Don't I look like quite the fool? :doh:

Either way, I tend to agree with the point that we're unlikely to move up too far. Just my opinion though.

Doesn't it seem like the FO looks at the draft the same way they look at contracts, ie. use next year as collateral for this season. So we trade next year's first (it won't be a high one) to move up and grab a good player now, the same way we backload contracts now and convert them later to our advantage. I have to agree with Art on this one.

With free agency, trading future draft picks causes very little jeopardy. If we trade our 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder next year, we can use that money to sign a quality free agent. If there is going to be no cap limit here, I support trading all our first round picks into the next millenium for top draft choices the next few years.

Maybe the want to talk to some of these kids because somebody always slips.

The smartest thing the Skins could do now is stand pat, take the best LB available at #53, and don't touch our 1st or 2nd rounder for 07.

I THINK THAT IS A GREAT STRATEGY, I DON'T THINK THE REDSKIN ORGINIZATION IS WILLING TO LOOSE A 1ST AND 2ND ROUNDER AGAIN. LET'S KEEP WHAT WHE HAVE AND PLAY HARD NOSE FOOTBALL. DON'T FORGET IF YOUR IN THE NFL YOU CAN PLAY YOU HAVE TO HAVE HEART AND DETERMINATION.

T

Bleh.

The absolute smartest thing the Skins could do now is get as many TOP prospects as possible NOW. Trade next year's first and second for a first this year. Do whatever you can to maximize the youth and talent now. The team has few obvious areas of need. Get what you can as quickly as you can to let them grow. A year of growth and learning in the system for another first rounder this year or second rounder is more valuable than a first next year.

I agree. Also, I think this will be Brunell's last year as starting quarterback and they need to get some polished prospects who can play right now and help the team now.

yea i would actually be pretty pissed if the redskins gave away next years picks. We already dont have a 4th rounder next year, and i cant remember the last time the redskins actually had a full draft. Hopefully if they do move up, they get rid of players and this years late round picks.

I love the idea, we have a bit of cap space to move with so why not trade up into the later first or early second and snag Cromartie and still keep the #53 pick and take a LB, either Howard or McIntosh. We still have cuts coming in June so that will free up a little more cap space so we can possibly pick up Donnie Edwards as a solid veteran LB and can Washington, Marshall and Edwards can groom McCune and the new LB and Springs can groom Cromartie and imagine having a solid rotation of SIX LB's and FOUR CB's our defense would be amazing with a secondary and a LB corps like that!

The good part of trading next years first is the talent projected in next years draft is not at any position that we need. So having no first will not hurt because we can just draft specifically for depth.

We should definitely go after cromatie. After Springs and Rogers, there is a huge dropoff. We have an excess amount of picks in the last two rounds. Im sure we can use a couple of them to move up.

What excess picks? 6th and 7th round picks are not enough to move up in the 2nd round. If we decide to move up we will have to give up next years picks.

I love the idea, we have a bit of cap space to move with so why not trade up into the later first or early second and snag Cromartie and still keep the #53 pick and take a LB, either Howard or McIntosh. We still have cuts coming in June so that will free up a little more cap space so we can possibly pick up Donnie Edwards as a solid veteran LB and can Washington, Marshall and Edwards can groom McCune and the new LB and Springs can groom Cromartie and imagine having a solid rotation of SIX LB's and FOUR CB's our defense would be amazing with a secondary and a LB corps like that!

The good part of trading next years first is the talent projected in next years draft is not at any position that we need. So having no first will not hurt because we can just draft specifically for depth.

what is the position that next years talent is projected at?

Let's trade this year's 2nd, next year's 1st and 2nd, with the Arizona Cardinals to move into the #10 spot and take A.J. Hawk. Linebackers take less time to learn the NFL than other skill positions, and he could make a real impact right away. I agree with Art, we have almost every position set. I know that we could move up and instead take two 'pretty good' players. But I'd rather get one stud at LB and hope for a breakthrough player at CB and DT in the later rounds of this year's draft.

I think that the best option would be to move up and try and keep our 2nd round pick at 53 as well. Thay may be tougher to do but it would be better. I feel as though there will be top players taken all the way through the second round as this draft is loaded. The addition of a cromartie and dqwell Jackson would add even more young talent to an already loaded team

Bleh.

The absolute smartest thing the Skins could do now is get as many TOP prospects as possible NOW. Trade next year's first and second for a first this year. Do whatever you can to maximize the youth and talent now. The team has few obvious areas of need. Get what you can as quickly as you can to let them grow. A year of growth and learning in the system for another first rounder this year or second rounder is more valuable than a first next year.

GREAT post, Art. This is also the approach that led to 4 SB appearances in Gibbs' first go-round here. Futures' trading has been regularly dissed in the major media, but works extremely well when it is done right. Bethard did it right, and Gibbs knows how to do it right.

Archived