Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

South Park email

Giants13

The following is a response from Comedy Central regarding an email I sent them about the Mohamed censorship:

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the "South Park" episodes entitled "Cartoon Wars." We appreciate your concerns about censorship and the destructive influence of outside groups on the media, entertainment industry and particularly Comedy Central.

To reiterate, as satirists, we believe that it is our First Amendment right to poke fun at any and all people, groups, organizations and religions and we will continue to defend that right. Our goal is to make people laugh and perhaps, if we're lucky, even make them think in the process.

Comedy Central's belief in the First Amendment has not wavered, despite our decision not to air an image of Muhammad. Our decision was made not to mute the voices of Trey and Matt or because we value one religion over any other. This decision was based solely on concern for public safety in light of recent world events.

With the power of freedom of speech and expression also comes the obligation to use that power in a responsible way. Much as we wish it weren't the case, times have changed and, as witnessed by the intense and deadly reaction to the publication of the Danish cartoons, decisions cannot be made in a vacuum without considering what impact they may have on innocent individuals around the globe.

It was with this in mind we decided not to air the image of Muhammad, a decision similar to that made by virtually every single media outlet across the country earlier this year when they each determined that it was not prudent or in the interest of safety to reproduce the controversial Danish cartoons. Injuries occurred and lives were lost in the riots set off by the original publication of these cartoons. The American media made a decision then, as we did now, not to put the safety and well being of the public at risk, here or abroad.

As a viewer of "South Park," you know that over the course of ten seasons and almost 150 episodes the series has addressed all types of sensitive, hot-button issues, religious and political, and has done so with Comedy Central's full support in every instance, including this one. "Cartoon Wars" contained a very important message, one that Trey and Matt felt strongly about, as did we at the network, which is why we gave them carte blanche in every facet but one: we would not broadcast a portrayal of Muhammad.

In that regard, did we censor the show? Yes, we did. But if you hold Comedy Central's 15-year track record up against any other network out there, you'll find that we afford our talent the most creative freedom and provide a nurturing atmosphere that challenges them to be bold and daring and places them in a position to constantly break barriers and push the envelope. The result has been some of the most provocative television ever produced.

We would like nothing more than to be able to look back at this in a few years and think that perhaps we overreacted. Unfortunately, to have made a different decision and to look back and see that we completely underestimated the damage that resulted was a risk we were not willing to take.

Our pledge to you, our loyal viewers, is that Comedy Central will continue to produce and provide the best comedy available and we will continue to push it right to the edge, using and defending the First Amendment in the most responsible way we know how.

Sincerely,

Comedy Central Viewer Services

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 12:52 PM

To: Viewer Services @ Comedy Central

Subject: South Park - South park

Name: Dan Ceppaluni

E-mail Address: d.ceppaluni@verizon.net

Message: I'm disconcerned that you're executives would first cave to Tom Cruise and not replay the eppisode which refers to Scientology. Then, you refused to show the Muhamad cartoon on last nights show. What ever happened to integrity? What are you going to censor next? Free speach is what makes America great. Have your Hollywood execs forgotten that? I think so.

I give them props for at least respnding to the crtiicism. They didn't mention caving in to Tom Cruise though!

Unfortunately, the majority of this country has forgotten (in a little less than 250 years) how to fight for what we believe in. Free speech has been suffering a slow, agonizing death in the last few decades. Apparently we're now going to cave to a bunch of bullies and give up yet another of our cherished freedoms.

I'm sick and damn tired of certain MAJORITY groups being targets, and everything's cool. Attack anybody else, and it's a no-go. Matt and Trey are right. "It's all OK or none of it is."

Free speech defends speech you don't like; not speech you do.

BTW, nice form letter you got in response to your email. :rolleyes: But at least we know you weren't the only one that contacted them. Props to you for making your opinion known. :applause:

I sent them the email just cause I wanted to vent. I'm freakin so sick of this countries political correctness. I'm afraid of what the US is going to be like in 10 years. God forbid we even mention Illigal Aliens. People need to think for themselves for a change instead of believing everything the dumb media writes about.

Oh well, I'm off to start my own country now. Thanks Hog, appreciate the props.

I sent them the email just cause I wanted to vent. I'm freakin so sick of this countries political correctness. I'm afraid of what the US is going to be like in 10 years. God forbid we even mention Illigal Aliens. People need to think for themselves for a change instead of believing everything the dumb media writes about.

Oh well, I'm off to start my own country now. Thanks Hog, appreciate the props.

Like I said man, the only way to "right the ship" is to take a stand. Keep it up!

I don't understand how not showing something out of respect for the feelings of millions of people is somehow "losing our right" to free speech. They aren't all bullies and extremists, as we know, but it still offends all of them.

As I have said in another thread, the whole point of showing Muhammad seemed to be to spite them and say "see,, we can do it anyway."

I don't see the purpose in this, nor do I see how that is defending anything. if there was a purpose to show Muhammad other than to rub their noses into it, then yes, I'd agree, but it seems to me the only reason to show him is to say "nah nah nah". I just don't think it is a very responsible defense of our sacred right.

The right to free speech doesn't mean you always have to open your mouth, sometimes the right to shut up is just as important. And frankly, I don't see how it is caving to bullies. Look, we're trying to preach a little tolerance in the midst of this war,, we're trying our best to make sure the muslim world knows we're not at war with all of them, so why do our level best to piss on the belief they all share, good and bad, radical or not, for no other reason than we're allowed to do so?

That would be like me coming to your house and calling your wife or mother a fat pig. She might actually BE a fat pig, and I am well within my rights to say it, but what would be the point other than to hurt her feelings?

~Bang

I don't understand how not showing something out of respect for the feelings of millions of people is somehow "losing our right" to free speech. They aren't all bullies and extremists, as we know, but it still offends all of them.

As I have said in another thread, the whole point of showing Muhammad seemed to be to spite them and say "see,, we can do it anyway."

I don't see the purpose in this, nor do I see how that is defending anything. if there was a purpose to show Muhammad other than to rub their noses into it, then yes, I'd agree, but it seems to me the only reason to show him is to say "nah nah nah". I just don't think it is a very responsible defense of our sacred right.

The right to free speech doesn't mean you always have to open your mouth, sometimes the right to shut up is just as important. And frankly, I don't see how it is caving to bullies. Look, we're trying to preach a little tolerance in the midst of this war,, we're trying our best to make sure the muslim world knows we're not at war with all of them, so why do our level best to piss on the belief they all share, good and bad, radical or not, for no other reason than we're allowed to do so?

That would be like me coming to your house and calling your wife or mother a fat pig. She might actually BE a fat pig, and I am well within my rights to say it, but what would be the point other than to hurt her feelings?

~Bang

I understand your point, but the analogy is totally wrong. The proper analogy would be if I came to your house, you disrespected the Giants (assuming ur a skins fan), so I decide to beat up every skins fan that i see.

Cause the Muslims are trying to persuade us with what we can and can not do or say, in our house, with the threat of terror. Get it?

~Bang

Bang, I respect you and your work. Some of the funniest **** I've ever seen. Seeing as you work in the field, I may be out of line, but I have to respectfully disagree.

Poll Christians. See how many of them like seeing Jesus depicted the way SP often does. Frankly, I think it can be funny, but I have an all too unique talent -- the ability to laugh at myself.

But if I understand this correctly, it's OK to make fun of Christians. It's not OK to make fun of Muslims. And the reason? Because Christians won't burn your house down and cut your head off. Therefore, Muslims have won their "right" not to have Mohammed depicted through violence. Period.

There are plenty of Christians who are offended by the depiction of Jesus on South Park, or in the vial of urine at a NYC "art" gallery, or any number of other places. The message presented here, is that if you truly ARE a religion of peace, we can mock you all day long, because you're not a threat.

I guess the offended Christians should start butchering civilians and burning buildings over a cartoon. Then they'll have the "right" not to be offended as well.

Muslims have gotten their way through thuggery and intimidation. I'll stand up to that all day long.

Bang, I respect you and your work. Some of the funniest **** I've ever seen. Seeing as you work in the field, I may be out of line, but I have to respectfully disagree.

Poll Christians. See how many of them like seeing Jesus depicted the way SP often does. Frankly, I think it can be funny, but I have an all too unique talent -- the ability to laugh at myself.

But if I understand this correctly, it's OK to make fun of Christians. It's not OK to make fun of Muslims. And the reason? Because Christians won't burn your house down and cut your head off. Therefore, Muslims have won their "right" not to have Mohammed depicted through violence. Period.

There are plenty of Christians who are offended by the depiction of Jesus on South Park, or in the vial of urine at a NYC "art" gallery, or any number of other places. The message presented here, is that if you truly ARE a religion of peace, we can mock you all day long, because you're not a threat.

I guess the offended Christians should start butchering civilians and burning buildings over a cartoon. Then they'll have the "right" not to be offended as well.

Muslims have gotten their way through thuggery and intimidation. I'll stand up to that all day long.

Well, not exactly,, i don't see offending simply for the sake of it as a good thing. I don't see how saying "Wow,, this image wll offend millions worldwide,, let's show it and show them that we can do it regardless of how they feel about it."

I don't buy into that.

I also don't think that anyone is saying it's OK to make fun of christians because they won't riot, and respectfully, i do get tired of the tit-for-tat attitude sometimes. seems to be a good way to avoid a lot of trouble by simply rising above it.

as i said,, if it makes the point and is inherent to the plot then fine,, but to do it simply for the sake of doing it,, i don't see the point. Yay. they're allowed to show Jesus crapping on the flag. Now, doesn't everyone feel better that they did?

aren't we all that much more enriched by it?

I'm not. I don't see the point in it, except to say "haha,, look what we can do".

In truth, yes, they rioted and acted like uncivilized idiots, but not all of them did,, in fact, of all muslims, only a small percentage did, (and as was evident, they were whipped up by reactionaries).. but regardless it is against their religion to do it, and it offends all of them,, so why do it? Just to offend them?

As I said,, i think there are much more important battlegrounds for free speech than simply pissing people off because we can.

To sound more than a little corny... our rights and freedoms carry with them a heavy reponsibility to use them wisely. And frankly, i don't see how being a little sensitive to millions and millions of people who AREN"T going to riot and kill and bomb to be such a bad thing, especially when it's for no other reason than to say "see, F-U, i did it anyway. " is somehow going to endanger our right to free speech.

And like I said,, my living depends on free speech and the right to lampoon. I am all for it. A little responsibility comes along with the right, is all I'm saying.

And hey Hog,, its OK to disagree with me and still like my toons. :silly: I think you'll find on most issues revolving around this war we definitely agree. :cheers:

As a disclaimer, I didn't see last night's episode. However, by the accounts I've read, from people I respect, there was a point to the depiction of Mohammed.

Mohammed was not shown, but Jesus crapping on the flag was. I think it was done deliberately to show the ridiculousness of what's censored and what's not. I think it is a valid point. And I think Comedy Central demonstrated that point more in censoring it than letting it go.

Your point of "don't offend someone just because you can" is a good one. However, I don't understand why that holds true only for Muslims and Scientologists, not Christians and Jews. I just would like to see a level playing field. Like the point in the cartoon "it's all OK, or none of it is."

Comedy Central flat out said, "This decision was based solely on concern for public safety in light of recent world events." You're an intelligent guy, Bang. Seriously. I don't have to explain what that means.

We probably do agree on most aspects of the global war on terror. And I can agree to disagree on a few minor issues, while maintaining personal respect. I've been married long enough to know I'm not always right. ;)

Off topic for just a moment, you should know my 3-year old daughter and I watch your toons together. We generally laugh at precisely the same time, for entirely different reasons. Genius, my friend. Pure genius. :cheers:

Comedy Central flat out said, "This decision was based solely on concern for public safety in light of recent world events." You're an intelligent guy, Bang. Seriously. I don't have to explain what that means.

Well, lets say I try really hard to come off as smart. :laugh:

Now, i don't agree with Comedy Central censoring the image. I guess i never did actually say that.

I don't like censorship in any form.

what i should say is that even though I love South Park, and I think Matt and trey are true comedic geniuses,, I think sometimes they have gone too far for no point other than to go too far.

I believe in this thing I call responsibility to your audience. In that you can 'censor' yourself without being censored.. it's a matter of common sense to me.

Back when it was news, I got hundreds of letters to make fun of Kobe's rape trial, for example.

But, while it's good for a bunch of comedy (Jay Leno certainly used it), to me, a real rape case isn't funny. Real people actually got hurt. (Well, sort of,, depends on who you believe, but you get me.)

I dance on the edge of it sometimes,, a cartoon like "Fight Night" I don't feel the same way about, even though the underlying event that inspired the cartoon was the arrest of Dolphins TE Randy McMicheal for battery of his pregnant wife. A totally unfunny subject,, except that SHE got busted for assault too.

So, I can sleep with that one.

and the south park episode that has satan beating up jesus is suposed to be OK with me? why do muslims get prepherential treatment?

and doesnt everyone know that doing this is acomplishing the goal of every terrorist? limiting our freedoms? we're just making it easier for them every day. giving in in this way is a step closer to bowing our heads in defeat to the ideals we stand against as a nation, and trust me, as Benjamin Franklin once said, " the society that is unwilling to stand for their beliefs has no right to them..."

edit: and bang, i watch your cartoons, now i may not agree sometimes (keep making fun of Bush though, i hate that guy!), but i love the fact that you can say anything like that, especially on a public utopia such as the internet. it just shows how grea our country is, id hate to think we're you'd be if these were in a communist country... but anyway my point is i hate censorship of all forms, and as the letter says, "either all is ok, or none is."

and the south park episode that has satan beating up jesus is suposed to be OK with me? why do muslims get prepherential treatment?

and doesnt everyone know that doing this is acomplishing the goal of every terrorist? limiting our freedoms? we're just making it easier for them every day. giving in in this way is a step closer to bowing our heads in defeat to the ideals we stand against as a nation, and trust me, as Benjamin Franklin once said, " the society that is unwilling to stand for their beliefs has no right to them..."

Again, if you don't like them depicting Jesus being beaten up, complain about it. The rest of my reasoning is already detailed. By the way,, i find the notion that this will cause us to lose our freedom of speech or to bow our heads in front of anyone laughable.

It's a damn cartoon. Isn't that what we said about them when they overreacted about it? We have the freedom of speech. we have strong national values and a firm bond that holds us together. Nothing in any cartoon is ever going to harm that or remove it any way whatsoever.

In fact, I'd bet that Benjamin Franklin would say "Let's stop being stupid simply for stupidity's sake"

~Bang

Again, if you don't like them depicting Jesus being beaten up, complain about it. The rest of my reasoning is already detailed. By the way,, i find the notion that this will cause us to lose our freedom of speech or to bow our heads in front of anyone laughable.

It's a damn cartoon. Isn't that what we said about them when they overreacted about it? We have the freedom of speech. we have strong national values and a firm bond that holds us together. Nothing in any cartoon is ever going to harm that or remove it any way whatsoever.

In fact, I'd bet that Benjamin Fanklin would say "Let's stop being stupid for stupidity's sake"

~Bang

its alright bang, i read your clarifiying post.... and i said that stuff a little bit in a hyperbole conext of sorts. but the basic idea is all the same, i hate censorship, either its all ok or none is.... but i see your point.

plus idk if you saw my edit or not, but anyway just to reiterate i jumped the gun.

Not a problem,, it's a sensitive issue. I'm just glad folks have discussed it without things degenerating into the usual partisan pissin matches.

it's kind of weird for me, because i am one of the staunchest supporters of the war that I know, I believe in my heart we're doing the right thing, but i still try to see that our enemy isn't everyone, and that if we try to relax a little on those trigger fingers,, maybe things will chill a little.

Not a problem,, it's a sensitive issue. I'm just glad folks have discussed it without things degenerating into the usual partisan pissin matches.

it's kind of weird for me, because i am one of the staunchest supporters of the war that I know, I believe in my heart we're doing the right thing, but i still try to see that our enemy isn't everyone, and that if we try to relax a little on those trigger fingers,, maybe things will chill a little.

:laugh: Trying to tell a Marine to relax his trigger finger! Now THERE'S toon material! :laugh:

j/k SF13, you know you ma boy. :)

I think there's one aspect of this that some of us are forgetting. That is the airwaves are a public resource. If they were completely and totally free to be used to say or show anything at all, then porno, and all sorts of hardcore violence, "dirty" language and just about anything else should be allowed on T.V. right? No, because at some point someone has to draw a line somewhere.

In this case it just so happens that millions of people see the Muhammed thing as being pretty much the equivalent of the above mentioned things that are routinely censored from American T.V. Do their extreme reactions make sense to me as an American and a Muslim? No. But I understand why they feel the way they do and I respect it just as I respect the decision of one of my co-workers not to watch T.V. because she's an evangelical Christian.

I see Bang's analogy as a perfectly valid one and I'd be willing to add one to it. That is, why is it that the Holocaust revisionists tend to be censored in much the same way that the Muhammed depiction in South Park was, and yet there's no hue and cry about that? Mind you, I'm not defending them just making a point.

In the end this is in some ways the classic case of freedom of speech not allowing one to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you always should do it.

In the end this is in some ways the classic case of freedom of speech not allowing one to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you always should do it.
even so he argument i have is either it all should be allowed or none, you cant be selective. i find alot of the stuff on comedy central to be offensive, but funny, and i can live with the fact Jesus is made fun of on a constant basis, because:

a) even though i am a cristian it is funny

B) its their right to do it

Archived