Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins Melting Pot

Burgold

Do we want a fervent Christian at QB?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want a fervent Christian at QB?

• YES
    • NO

Actually, that was tone problem... I needed a smilie. I knew you were not referring to yourself in your first post, but thought it might be funny if viewed as a self-descriptive statement when clearly that hasn't been your style.

This is all true, and I agree, very very cool...but if you really love freedom and differing opinions, remember that in the tailgate, just like elsewhere, there are a few who may see themselves as the eiptome of the red-white-&-blue...but would be among the first to substitute iron-handed, close-minded control in place of many of the freedoms we enjoy now if they were in charge. I'm sure most of you can think of a couple of spectacular examples.

I want to personally thank you for noticing that some of us are out here. It gets annoying for some of us at times when we have to constantly remind people that we have no interest in debate because there's no chance we're ever going to change our minds and we know that others are not going to have their minds changed either.

Still, call me an optimist, I believe the vast majority of folks can handle and support even strong differences of thought without activating their "issues" :D

Of course. Probably because most people don't really BELIEVE the things they post. They think they do, but when pressed on the topic they bend, waiver or compromise instead of standing strong and defending their position to the death.

It gets annoying for some of us at times when we have to constantly remind people that we have no interest in debate because there's no chance we're ever going to change our minds and we know that others are not going to have their minds changed either.

QUOTE]

I find this statement very curious. Why would you join in a discussion if you have no interest in debating? No offense, but I also find it disingenuous. You like to debate. You make many, many rebuttles. If you truly had supreme confidence in your position and had no desire to debate you would not try to clarify your position as often as you do.

Or do you view your position as a solitary figure standing by the stew of our great melting pot. Making pronouncements and backseat cooking.

Of course. Probably because most people don't really BELIEVE the things they post. They think they do, but when pressed on the topic they bend, waiver or compromise instead of standing strong and defending their position to the death.

I've been meaning to ask you something, Mass. In your eyes, is it ever acceptable for a person's beliefs to change? I'm not talking about debate necessarily, but any experience you care to choose that produces a change in worldview you consider justified.

Still, the great thing about Extremeskins is that even though the tailgate can rowdy. It is the ultimate proof that America still works, that different ideals, even radically different ideas can coexist and occassionally even find occassional agreement.

Shut up, you gd communist. :silly:

I've been meaning to ask you something, Mass. In your eyes, is it ever acceptable for a person's beliefs to change? I'm not talking about debate necessarily, but any experience you care to choose that produces a change in worldview you consider justified.

if your view on something hasn't changed at least a little, you haven't been on ES long enough. :laugh:

I find this statement very curious. Why would you join in a discussion if you have no interest in debating? No offense, but I also find it disingenuous. You like to debate. You make many, many rebuttles. If you truly had supreme confidence in your position and had no desire to debate you would not try to clarify your position as often as you do.

There's a difference between discussion and debate. Discussion is a simple exchange of views. Debate is the attempt to change another's mind or to prove one's view correct. I have no problem with discussion. Even a give and take. However, I will not waste my time trying to change someone's mind and I turly hope you folks don't waste your time trying to change my mind, because it isn't going to happen.

Or do you view your position as a solitary figure standing by the stew of our great melting pot. Making pronouncements and backseat cooking.

That's probably pretty close. Not how I would necessarily put it, but that's probably apretty good analogy.

If it is truly something they BELIEVE in, then NO it is not acceptable for it to change. However, as I said earlier, very few people actually BELIEVE anything, anymore.

Sure, your core principles shouldn't be shaken by a message board, but I would advise against rigidity on every specific issue. New facts sometimes emerge and no matter how hard you try, the Earth will not become flat just for you.

Sure, your core principles shouldn't be shaken by a message board, but I would advise against rigidity on every specific issue. New facts sometimes emerge and no matter how hard you try, the Earth will not become flat just for you.

If your core principles are shaken by ANYTHING, were they really core principles to begin with?

Rigidity and the absolute knowledge of what is Right and what is Wrong on a global scale are the core of how I live my life. Nothing is ever going to change that except the end of my life. It's that simple.

I want to personally thank you for noticing that some of us are out here. It gets annoying for some of us at times when we have to constantly remind people that we have no interest in debate because there's no chance we're ever going to change our minds and we know that others are not going to have their minds changed either.

Oh, mass, you're such a card :laugh:

Don't thank me, you know you get all the attention you seek just fine, ya ole message-board-commando you!

From reading one of your recent posts, we seem to have some pastimes as well as some beliefs in common. Just goes to show you never know what kind of interesting folks may be standing next to you anywhere.

And as far as your latest in a series of high-drama comments ;) , I'll follow in suit; re:your remark about dying for your beliefs, I prefer Patton's stance: if it's gonna be life or death, it's better to make the other guy die for his.

I read the rest of thread when I returned, but wanted to reply to the post above.

On a related note, my ex-wife used to raise puffer-fish.

I'll follow in suit; re:your remark about dying for your beliefs, I prefer Patton's stance: if it's gonna be life or death, it's better to make the other guy die for his.

I agree that making the enemy die for his beliefs IS the better idea. When applicable, that's definitely the path I like to take. What I was commenting on was the idea that, if removing the other opinion is not an option, I'd rather die than change mine. But I get the feeling you already knew that.

Archived