Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darwin's Theory Will Apply to our WLB

method man

Initially, I thought that we would have to go draft someone or go sign someone but after thinking about it we should let these guys engage in a 5-way competition for the WLB. We have Clemons, Sykes, Holdman, Campbell, and McCune all engaged in a competition for that starting spot. If there is one thing that this franchise is good at, it is producing starting LBs who were formerly UDFAs or low round picks.

In this battle royale, we will see these guys step their games up to win that starting LB spot. Hungry youngsters like Clemons and McCune will compete with guys like Sykes, Holdman, and Campbell who crave for a second chance. This is a true application of "survival of the fittest." Let the best LB win the WLB job.

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

I totally agree with you. I think Williams had some input on getting those players here, which tells me that he thinks they are capable of producing big time in his system. It's still possible that they go after someone simply for the sake of a little extra competition, but it's unlikely. I think that the 2nd rounder may be spent at DB or elsewhere.

i have a feeling Clemons will get the job done for us...after seeing some tape...i see so much potential

It's amazing, isn't it? You never would have thought that two+ years ago when we picked him and Marshall up. I remember thinking, "A LB from the Cardinals and some other bum?! How are they going to help us?!"

I think it will probably be Clemons but I wouldn't be shocked if we went LB with the 2nd pick. I think we'll either pick a CB or LB depending on which is the better available player. I'm also interested in how McCune is doing, that guy was a beast at Louisville, he's a weight room freak. He also spent some time in the Army I believe.

I agree. I think we have enough guys with talent/experience that someone should be able to step up and earn the WLB spot. GW did bring in all these guys and he's a magician when it comes to LBs. I still say I think we might go DT in the 2nd round but probably CB.

You may think so, but the Skins management apparently doesn't because they keep trying to sign a starting LB. If one of those guys couldn't beat out Holdman, well... No. Unlike Darwin, I don't have a thousand years to wait for one of the current crop to evolve into a starting LB. We need to get a LB through FA or the Draft.

You may think so, but the Skins management apparently doesn't because they keep trying to sign a starting LB. If one of those guys couldn't beat out Holdman, well... No. Unlike Darwin, I don't have a thousand years to wait for one of the current crop to evolve into a starting LB. We need to get a LB through FA or the Draft.

The front office signed Barrow to then we discovered we had a lesser known talent already on the team, so it is possible that this could happen again.

not all of these players are realistic options at WLB.

McCune is a MLB. Campbell to me is a SLB.

Clemons is the most natural athlete we have at the position. Holdman is no better than backup material at 31.

I think this team still needs to add to the LB corps through the draft and perhaps by signing a mid-tier guy like Keith Adams as well, although I would prefer a veteran LB that is better against the run and a bit bigger than Adams.

There will be players availabe at #53 that can help this team in 2006. Linebacker looks to be one of those spots given the depth in this class.

Yes you are correct, the player who wins out the competition between all of these, WILL be the best out of all of them. That has NOTHING to do with whether that player will be a good starter or not. He could suck, but he would suck a little less than any of the others.

Having 5-6 people competing for a position doesnt help if none are capable of being the starter. It may well be someone will step up, but I think we are gonna have a draft pick or FA playing in that spot come start of the season.

Yes you are correct, the player who wins out the competition between all of these, WILL be the best out of all of them. That has NOTHING to do with whether that player will be a good starter or not. He could suck, but he would suck a little less than any of the others.

Having 5-6 people competing for a position doesnt help if none are capable of being the starter. It may well be someone will step up, but I think we are gonna have a draft pick or FA playing in that spot come start of the season.

^^^ Agreed, pretty much in line with what I was thinking as I read the original post.

I think that we have enough talent with Clemons and Campbell, after looking at some tape I find them both to have alot of potential. I still think we will draft a LB in the draft. Not to be stepping on anyones toes, but GW knows what he is doing and I don't think he would keep Clemons and Campbell around and not have a plan fr using them.

As much as I hope that Clemons pans out and becomes a solid starter for us next year, I just do not think that it is going to happen.

Clemons did not too very well last season (9 tkls 2 sacks) even though he played virtually every third down. His low numbers are certainly in part due to how we used him, but I just don't see him stepping up the way we all hope.

I completely agree with the original poster. People seem to have short-term memories, think back to around week 16 or 17. May not be the exact time, but I remember us going in with Springs, and some backup scrubs. We had to scrape and change our gameplan to accomadate for the loss. We are just as deep as we were going into last season(you figure Wright replaces Harris). We could REALLY use another corner, and it is looking smart to choose one with the 53rd pick. There also may be a reason why we haven't picked up any lb's yet, GW may feel confident with what we have(after alll we did critisize him going into last year with not having a capable mlb, but Lemar solved that lol).

Jashon hasn't done anything for two years...

He managed to log 50 or so tackles two years ago..

What happened?

Injury?

Who knows. I didn't even know we had him until now.

Actually, his profile pretty much says it all. He filled in for Ian Gold when he went down with an injury, and started in the next two games.

Jason

Archived