Extremeskins

Corner Back Situation

bmw2301

Are we planning to just have

Springs

Rogers

Jimoh

and a few no names at CB.

I see where Jamar Fletcher cancelled his meeting with us. What is going on, does anyone have any thoughts on our CB situation. Sorry if this is a repeat topic, but I have been away recently.

Are we planning to just have

Springs

Rogers

Jimoh

and a few no names at CB.

I see where Jamar Fletcher cancelled his meeting with us. What is going on, does anyone have any thoughts on our CB situation. Sorry if this is a repeat topic, but I have been away recently.

The situation here is as bleak as you many imagine. We have acquired Kenny Wright, but he's a weak link as a nickel and a big drop as a cb, which is dangerous given Springs' age.

Guest mwill008

I think we need some youth in the CB and pretty much most of free agents CB are up in age. So they going have to get something out the draft maybe Anwar Phillips, Gerrick McPhearson, or Will Blackmon, whom would a great steal.

Kenny Wright was a fair starter on a good defense last year. He's our nickel back, who approximates what Walt Harris is at this point in Walt's career. Obviously every team in football has a dramatic drop off when an elite starter gets hurt. So, though folks with nutty ideas may think we should have Pro Bowlers in reserve everywhere, in fact, our depth at corner is excellent.

Kenny Wright was a fair starter on a good defense last year. He's our nickel back, who approximates what Walt Harris is at this point in Walt's career. Obviously every team in football has a dramatic drop off when an elite starter gets hurt. So, though folks with nutty ideas may think we should have Pro Bowlers in reserve everywhere, in fact, our depth at corner is excellent.

Art, is Wright's deal for one year? I think it it is and I looked on Redskins.com but it is not specific. I am a little suprised they didn't sign him for longer, but the fact that Jimoh is only on a one year tender(for now) also leads me to believe they could still be leaning towards CB with the 53rd pick. Obviously our depth this year has been solidified with the signing of Wright, but what is our future at the position? Who will be #5 CB, Morton? Patterson? Williams?

Shawn Springs, followed by Carlos Rogers. Kenny Wright should do fine in a Nickel position if he plays the way he has his entire career. We have Ade Jimoh at Dime back, and for some us that may be a question mark. But let's be serious...how often is a Dime back on the field anyway? Not too often.

Wright's deal is for one year only.

As a nickel back the 29 year old Wright is a good fit for the Skins. At 6'1 and 207 he is a big corner who is more physical in coverage and in run support, just what Williams wants his corners to project.

Wright started all 16 games last year on a team that went to the postseason and now we have him as a backup. Relax, fellas :)

When you have other teams' starters as your backups you are doing okay ;)

The situation here is as bleak as you many imagine. We have acquired Kenny Wright, but he's a weak link as a nickel and a big drop as a cb, which is dangerous given Springs' age.

Kenny Wright is a weak link when forced to play #2 CB all year... and even then he can hold his own pretty well. He makes for an EXCELLENT nickelback given his size (6'1") and ability to lay the big hit. He's a prototypical Williams defensive back, really...

If Springs can stay healthy his age isn't a factor, anyway. He hasn't lost any speed yet and is still an excellent corner. I'm far more comfortable with Wright stepping in at #2 than Walt Harris, anyway.

who are the Giants and Eagles #3 corners? have they proven themselves in the NFL? how about Seattle or Tampa? Carolina? Dallas has 33 year old Aaron Glenn, but I don't see him being a better player than Wright at this point of his career.

Shawn Springs, followed by Carlos Rogers. Kenny Wright should do fine in a Nickel position if he plays the way he has his entire career. We have Ade Jimoh at Dime back, and for some us that may be a question mark. But let's be serious...how often is a Dime back on the field anyway? Not too often.
Don't always assume that when we go with a dime package that Jimoh will be on the field, GW will throw safety out there as well. Do not forget Pierson Prioleau, he played quite a bit last year in the dime package. He had 4 passes defended, compare that to Wright who was a starter and only had 6.

Jimoh had 2, Rogers had 4 and Springs had 10:applause:

Kenny Wright is a weak link when forced to play #2 CB all year... and even then he can hold his own pretty well. He makes for an EXCELLENT nickelback given his size (6'1") and ability to lay the big hit. He's a prototypical Williams defensive back, really...

I mean seriously how weak of a link could he be? He started all 16 games for a passing defense that was rated better than ours last year and they played a ton of good passing teams last year.

who are the Giants and Eagles #3 corners? have they proven themselves in the NFL? how about Seattle or Tampa? Carolina? Dallas has 33 year old Aaron Glenn, but I don't see him being a better player than Wright at this point of his career.

The Giants nickel will be McQuarters who is very proven but slowing down and the feables is Roderick Hood, who is also pretty good. Wright is good, but we can not fool ourselves into thinking that other teams in our division don't have very good corners as well.

I mean seriously how weak of a link could he be? He started all 16 games for a passing defense that was rated better than ours last year and they played a ton of good passing teams last year.

Kenny was the weakest link on that defense last year, often needed help, and was burned fairly often, winning few friends and little desire on the part of his team to keep him on, as well as little desire on our part to sign for more than a temporary stop gap. I think we'll draft a corner before we draft an LB.

We've got some weak backups now whom I think are very over-rated by us in our optimism. Kenny is one. He is younger than Harris but probably not better. Our new TE is even worse in relation to the guy he's replacing (witness the salary Royal is commanding); and Collins is a guy who should never play, a pointless acquisition we should have just hired as an assistant coach.

With CB being one of the most crucial positions on any team, I wouldn't be surprised seeing a first day pick spent on one. I kinda compare it to back in the day when we drafted Champ Bailey then Fred Smoot. Hopefully some big cover conrers fall to us because its always good to have a nice corner in waiting.

Our new TE is even worse in relation to the guy he's replacing (witness the salary Royal is commanding); and Collins is a guy who should never play, a pointless acquisition we should have just hired as an assistant coach.

Royal and Fauria are 2 different types of players. - Fauria will be used more as a blocker who will catch an occasional pass where Royal was a below average blocker who dropped a lot of balls.

Collins is a vet back-up who has experinece in the system. Not sure what's so wrong with that

if springs or rogers would go down does anybody feel comfortable w/ wright startin...we definetly need to draft a corner w/ the first pick

Considering he started 16 games for the playoff Jags last year, yes I would feel fine. Is he better then Springs or Los, NO but any time a starter goes down there will be drop off, hence starter and backup.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Skins need depth on the D-line and Offensve line.

I agree DC, I can't think of a team that wouldn't be happy with Springs, Los, and Wright as the 1-2-3 CB team. There maybe one or two teams that might be a bit stronger at CB but there is not one coach that is going to question how good are secondary is at this point.

If Griff goes down we've seen what can happen, if Jansen or Samuels goes down it appears we maybe screwed. I would like to see a proven vet linemen come in to ensure that there won't be that much of a drop off if we lose a key line player.

I agree DC, I can't think of a team that wouldn't be happy with Springs, Los, and Wright as the 1-2-3 CB team. There maybe one or two teams that might be a bit stronger at CB but there is not one coach that is going to question how good are secondary is at this point.

If Griff goes down we've seen what can happen, if Jansen or Samuels goes down it appears we maybe screwed. I would like to see a proven vet linemen come in to ensure that there won't be that much of a drop off if we lose a key line player.

I agree totally....of course, I long for the days of Green, Bailey, and Smoot ;), but I'm happy with what we have now - I also think Jimoh is fine for a 4th CB - and if he beats out Wright for some reason, then more power to him.

I'm with you on the O-line and D-line issues. Nothing new to add here.:cheers:

Archived