Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Football Games ever (either heard of, watched, or attended)

cuchip703

I read a thread a couple of weeks ago about the greatest games ever that people went to. I was thinking about what are the top 10 games ever played at any level. (pro, college, h.s.) I came up with the few I could think of as examples for each but would like to hear how people rank the games of their lifetimes.

1. Miami-San Diego playoff game in early 80's (Kellen Winslow, Hook and Ladder)

2. Boston College/Miami Florida- I watched this game from the 2nd quarter on, ubeleivable.

3. I remember seeing highlights of this high school game about 10 years ago in Texas. One team was down by like 24 points in the 4th , scored three or four touchdowns and recovered onsides kicks in a row to take the lead with only a few seconds to go...only to watch the other team return the go ahead td kickoff for a td to win. Searched a little on the internet and found the actual game

1994 Division II Region 2 semifinal: John Tyler-48 Plano East-44

This is quite possibly the greatest high school football game ever played in Texas. Plano East was down 41-17 after the Lions returned two fumbles for touchdowns courtesy of Mark Broyles and David Warren. PESH wouldn't give as they completely erased that deficit to take a 44-41 lead in the waning seconds of regulation by miraculously recovering several onside kicks. As pandemonium ensued on the Plano East side after the unlikely sequence of events, nothing could prepare the masses for what followed. John Tyler deep man kickoff returner Dunn took the kickoff down the sidelines to the endzone for the go ahead score. John Tyler won 48-44. Simply the greatest 5A game ever played

These aren't my top three, these are just examples from each level. What are some others?

Greatest game I ever heard of (but did not watch or attend): The Ice Bowl

Greatest game I ever watched on TV: The Dolphins-Chargers playoff game in the 80's.

Greatest game I ever attended: Tie between Skins-Lions NFC Championship Game and Super Bowl 34 between the Rams and Titans.

Best football game ever.

"It was the end to a crazy fourth quarter. The teams scored five touchdowns in the last 8 minutes. Georgia Tech scored three times in the final 4:36."

Unbelievable.

As the first two letters of my name indicate, I was on the bad end of that game, and unfortunately, actually there to witness the game. A lot of things had to go right for GT to comeback. Whitehurst slides on 1st down run at 9 and 1/2 yards although he had room to go a few more. GT stops runs on 2nd and 3rd....then the bad snap on the punt.....it was a great game. AS a Clemson fan though, I prefer this game

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/092901aaa.html between the same two teams....

the greatest game i ever attended was the skins/cowboys game this past year at fedex....i mean it wasnt a much of a game, but to be able to dominate the cowboys they way we did after being the ones dominated the past 10 years, it was a great feeling to be there and be a part of it....

3. I remember seeing highlights of this high school game about 10 years ago in Texas. One team was down by like 24 points in the 4th , scored three or four touchdowns and recovered onsides kicks in a row to take the lead with only a few seconds to go...only to watch the other team return the go ahead td kickoff for a td to win. Searched a little on the internet and found the actual game

1994 Division II Region 2 semifinal: John Tyler-48 Plano East-44

This is quite possibly the greatest high school football game ever played in Texas. Plano East was down 41-17 after the Lions returned two fumbles for touchdowns courtesy of Mark Broyles and David Warren. PESH wouldn't give as they completely erased that deficit to take a 44-41 lead in the waning seconds of regulation by miraculously recovering several onside kicks. As pandemonium ensued on the Plano East side after the unlikely sequence of events, nothing could prepare the masses for what followed. John Tyler deep man kickoff returner Dunn took the kickoff down the sidelines to the endzone for the go ahead score. John Tyler won 48-44. Simply the greatest 5A game ever played

I think I've heard the call from the booth during that kickoff return... the announcers sounded like they were going to be sick. :silly:

Best Game Ever Been To: UT 30 v. Florida 28, two seasons ago: UT kicked a game winning 52 yard field goal with 10 seconds left after missing the game-tying extra point just 1:30 earlier.

Best Game Ever Seen (on TV): Skins Cowboys Week 2.

Definately wasn't around to watch it, but have watched a lot of clips of it..

1958 NFL Championship game...the NFL's first overtime game

The Colts eventually beat the Giants, but it helped make football one of the premier sports in the U.S.

Best game I've ever been to is the 2004 Florida-UT game where the kicker missed an extra point that would have tied the game only to make a 50 yd field goal to win in a couple minutes later.

I also saw UT-Bama in 2003 that went to 5 OT's and UT-Arkansas in 2002 that went to 6.

Let's not forget USC-Notre Dame this past season. That game was sick.

I was absolutely going to post about that. An amazing football game on all levels. Another great college game was MD and Miami at the Orange Bowl when MD had that huge comeback in the second half (orchestrated by Frank "Queens" Reich)...

And of course, the Championship game in '82. :dallasuck .

Washington vs. Dallas... MNF this past season...

Indianpolis vs. Tampa Bay... during the 2003-2004 season on Monday Night Football...

Notre Dame vs. Boston College... 1992 or 1993... BC hits a FG with no time left to upset #1... this was always my favorite ND team....

I remember watching all of these on TV.

The most exciting games I ever watched were:

1983 - The Raiders met the Redskins at RFK. With only 7 minutes to play in the game the Redskins trailed 35-20. But Joe Theismann and Joe Washington scored 17 points in 7 minutes -- the winning touchdown coming with seconds on the clock and the Redskins won the game 37-35! The two teams later met in the Super Bowl.

1982 - Playoff - Redskins defeat Miami 27-17 in the Super Bowl. The climatic moment came in the 4th quarter on a 4th-and-one play, when John Riggins ran 40 something yards for a touchdown to break the game wide open!

The Super Bowl win over Denver was also pretty exciting with The Quarter happening in the 2nd quarter, when Doug Williams led the Redskins to a 35 point quarter and comeback win!

There have been numerous other games, but these are probably at the top of my list.

:cheers:

A couple of Frank Reich games come to mind.

While at Maryland, he led the Terps back from a 31-0 halftime deficit to beat Miami, led by Bernie Kosar, 42-40.

With Buffalo in January of 1993, he led the Bills back from a 28-3 halftime deficit to defeat Warren Moons and the Houston Oilers 41-38 in overtime.

I'm sure you all remember this:

4th & 26. I can't explain the feeling that went through my body when Freddie Mitchell caught that pass. Being in the stands with my gramps and the fans was like nothing I had ever experienced.

Of course then the championship game at the Linc where we beat the Falcons. Amazing moment. I'll never forget either of these games and what they meant to me. I was lucky enough to be there.

I was also at the last game at the Vet. Saddest day of my life.

Several years ago, I remember watching a crucial game between the Packers and the 49er's it either lead to a playoff spot, or actually was a wildcard/playoff game. I think it was Steve Young (but might have been Montana) vs Favre. It was the most exciting game I've ever watched. A sheer sling scoring fest between the 2 teams, I'll never forget in the final moments, favre drove a line ball 50 or something yards straight down the middle, and I mean lazerline with hardly any arc, and everybody going wild when it was caught. I wish I could find a recording of that game or even pinpoint it.

I do remember that everybody knew that should have been the real superbowl game and the actual superbowl was anticlimatic.

Archived