Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The best linebackers still available to sign in free agency are.....

Well we know the Redskins are going to draft some linebackers, but do they really want a rookie starting in game 1? I doubt it, being that Carlos Rogers didn't start until the middle of the season last year. And the linebacker position is even more complex to learn, as CB is based more on athletic ability, rather than cerebral.

Below is a list of the best linebackers still available in free agency. In my opinion the Skins should sign Tommy Polley. He is a playmaker; is 6-4 and only 28; is fast and started for the Ravens last year and had 96 tackles and 4 sacks. He can play both weakside LB and strongside LB. In a prior year with the Rams he had 4 interceptions. To my knowledge, Polly hasn't made any visits to any teams so far.

Tommy Polley

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235236

My other choices who are at least playmakers would be:

2 - Na'il Diggs - if his knees are o.k.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187526

3 - Jamie Winborn - a little short at 5-11, but he makes plays

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235259

4 - Brandon Short - versatile, can also play MLB and special teams

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187645

5 - Keith Adams - is not the answer as a starter but is a good special teamer.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235011

Who do I think the Redskins will sign though? Keith Adams. :doh:

What do you guys think? With the exception of Jboomer. :silly:

Others:

Brad Kassell - 26

Chris Claiborne - 28

Barrett Green - 29

Brian Allen - 27

Jeff Gooch 32

Keith Newman - 31

Nate Wayne - 31

Nick Griesen - 27

Raonall Smith - 28

Rocky Calmus - 27

Saleem Rasheed 25

T. J. Slaughter - 29

Warrick Holdman - 31

LaVar who?

Well we know the Redskins are going to draft some linebackers, but do they really want a rookie starting in game 1? I doubt it, being that Carlos Rogers didn't start until the middle of the season last year. And the linebacker position is even more complex to learn, as CB is based more on athletic ability, rather than cerebral.

Which is why I think the starter is probably going to come from someone already on the team.

Considering that there isn't a big hurry to bring people in by the team, I have a feeling that's the way they are going to go. They may pick up a vet sometime after the draft, but I'm not expecting any signings before the draft.

Jason

I think we may draft some LBs but McCune or Clemons will be the starting WLB this year. BTW, can't you just ask Miss Cleo which LB we'll get so we can put an end to the discussion :D ?

Miss Cleo is pissed off at me right now because I didn't paint her toenails a couple weeks ago. :silly:

Actually, the Skins probably will re-sign Warrick Holdman, although I think they can do better. :doh:

I dont think we need to pick up a lb at all in free agency. The olb class this year in the draft is deep, and filled with many athletes that can fit in at that will position. Also, i think a sleeper for the spot is Khary Campbell. Hes been on the roster to about 3 years now and has been great on sp. teams. I can see us giving him a shot like we did Lemar, and it working out!

Where did you get this idea from? I've always heard CB is one the most difficult college to pro transitions. It's very much cerebral because it's all about confidence as a CB out there on an island. A rookie LB can come in and stop the run or rush the passer (ie Merriman, Suggs, Ware, ect. Defensive rookie of the year is often a LB) but any rookie corner is going to look foolish when put out there against a vet WR who runs good routes. I'm not saying I think we'll start a rookie LB this year (althoug, this draft is extremely deep for LBs so who knows) but I think this statement is entirely false. It's much easier and more common for rookie LBs to succeed year one than rookie CBs.

Miss Cleo is pissed off at me right now because I didn't paint her toenails a couple weeks ago. :silly:

Actually, the Skins probably will re-sign Warrick Holdman, although I think they can do better. :doh:

I think he's a good reserve guy but not a good starter. He's excellent in coverage but he's terrible at shedding blocks and fighting through traffic. He'd make a good passing down nickel backer, though, if we have another option as a starter and the price is right.

I didn't realize there were that many decent OLBs available. That being the case there's no reason we couldn't both draft one and sign a short term starter...it's that whole supply and demand thing.

LB is probably second only to RB in plug and play ability. There's a ton of them out there and with a solid D-line they don't have to be extraordinarily talented to be successul. That's why Lavar's contract was so ridiculous. When you can get comparable play from guys like AP and Lemar who were undrafted, why would ever give a LB a 65 mil contract? It just doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by inmate running the asylum

"Well we know the Redskins are going to draft some linebackers, but do they really want a rookie starting in game 1? I doubt it, being that Carlos Rogers didn't start until the middle of the season last year. And the linebacker position is even more complex to learn, as CB is based more on athletic ability, rather than cerebral. "

Actually... cb is not only based on athletic ability, if it was... it would be the easiest postion to play in the nfl since every single corner in the ncaa is "athletic". All of them run 4.4's and are combine guys. But, its the ability to read routes and play the ball in the air that sets them apart. Linebacker is a positon that will not kill you if you have a guy that makes a mistake but can make it up with athletic ability (i.e. Lavar Arrington).

I think we will resign Holdman and have a preseason/minicamp battle between, Clemons, Holdman, and a rookie for the starting spot.

We still haven't resigned Holdman yet, and it doesn't look like we will either.

Unless they can really "coach up" McCune, I don't know if he is the answer. He barely stayed on the team last year. Of course maybe LB wasn't a priority last year.

I'd love to see him do well and fill that position. It sounded like he had a lot of potential.

MC :logo:

I dont think we need to pick up a lb at all in free agency. The olb class this year in the draft is deep, and filled with many athletes that can fit in at that will position. Also, i think a sleeper for the spot is Khary Campbell. Hes been on the roster to about 3 years now and has been great on sp. teams. I can see us giving him a shot like we did Lemar, and it working out!

I agree totally. Campbell led the team in special teams tackles last year. He proved to have a nose for the ball. I'd like to see him see more playing time.

Unless they can really "coach up" McCune, I don't know if he is the answer. He barely stayed on the team last year. Of course maybe LB wasn't a priority last year.

I'd love to see him do well and fill that position. It sounded like he had a lot of potential.

MC :logo:

Actually, he was on the practice squad early in the season but worked his way on to the active roster later in the season and towards the end saw a lot of ST work as well as some LB work. He played in both playoff games as well. That sounds to me like someone who was coming on at the end of the season and was learning, not bad for a second day pick. Hopefully, he'll be ready for increased action this year. I'd love to see him go out and outright win that job in preseason.

I wouldn't rule out Jashon Sykes either, who started with Denver.

Jason

Forgot about him...I really like the fact that he started a full year with Denver in 04. I still think for some reason Clemons has the inside edge at the WSLB position...personally I don't really like it as of now but I think the kid has got the talent to be very explosive.

Well we know the Redskins are going to draft some linebackers, but do they really want a rookie starting in game 1

I seem to recall one LaVar Arrington starting at weak-side linebacker in his first career game. And to go back in history, the Redskins took Andre Collins in the 1990 draft with the #54 pick, second round. He started every game he played here and started Super Bowl XXVI for us. Don't just dismiss a rookie linebacker from the second round.

Others:

Brad Kassell - 26

Chris Claiborne - 28

Barrett Green - 29

Brian Allen - 27

Jeff Gooch 32

Keith Newman - 31

Nate Wayne - 31

Nick Griesen - 27

Raonall Smith - 28

Rocky Calmus - 27

Saleem Rasheed 25

T. J. Slaughter - 29

Warrick Holdman - 31

LaVar who?

I don't particularly like any of those guys. - I think we will draft a LB and bring him along (or at least give him the chance to) with Clemons.

There's a difference between Rogers last year at CB and a rookie OLB as far as knowing what to do and playing time.

If for some reason that doesn't work out, chances are most of that list will still be available during training camp.

...I'm still waiting for Ms Cleo's explaination on John Abraham.

Archived