Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should English be a required Language for living in the U.S.?

michael_33

I don't have a problem with korean's,Mexicans,chinese,japanese,india's or any nationality as long as they treat their neighbors with respect...(domestic or internationally)

What I do have a problem with is,when I want an Egg roll,an order of crab rangoon and some sweat & Sour Chicken....That I can't understand but maybe a couple words in the drive thru on what they are saying!

But this goes for all nationalities...(using chinese as example here)

Keep in mind...when I say I have a problem, I'm saying "that it frustrates me"...and it probably frustrates who I am talking too at that time...I'm sure..!

This is not a hate thread........ :applause: :2cents:

But with all the patriotics topics floating around,I thought I would ask this question to you guys...

Should learning or knowing or even speaking the English language be a requirement to become a U.S Citizen...

Not even all the words...But should they be at least understandable or somewhat fluent?

Your thoughts?

That I can't understand but maybe a couple words in the drive thru on what they are saying!

To be fair, I don't even understand people at the drive through when they're speaking English.

But yes, to become a citizen, I think you should have to demonstrate some level of proficiency with the English language.

I can barely understand some people from the deep south when I see them interviewed on TV (last yr during the hurricane for example).

If i get hit by a car i dont care wither the doctor that fixes me speaks english french chinese or marsian for that matter so dont see why it should be a requirement for residency..

Yeah, sweat soaked chicken blows. ;)

Seriously, though, to your point. I do believe that requiring a functional level of English would save money at every possible level: state government at DMVs, etc; federal government with ALL of their paperwork; law enforcement and court systems with translators, etc, etc, etc.

However, for those who immigrate to the US legally, I believe language is a big part of how they maintain their cultural identity. And REQUIRING English, would kill their native language faster than they "evolve" from it now.

I would support a legislation that would make English the official state language, but it's for practicality's sake. I don't want to "assimilate" everyone and destroy their culture.

I don't have a problem with korean's,Mexicans,chinese,japanese,india's or any nationality as long as they treat their neighbors with respect...(domestic or internationally)

What I do have a problem with is,when I want an Egg roll,an order of crab rangoon and some sweat & Sour Chicken....That I can't understand but maybe a couple words in the drive thru on what they are saying!

First off, the irony that you spelled 'sweet' wrong is ****ing hilarious.

Second, you're honestly upset that when you go to a Chinese restaurant that the people speak better Chinese than English? I don't even know where to start making fun of you for that.

I wouldn't go that far because it's simply not practical; however, I would require that ALL public signs reflect the fact that this is America and English is the exclusive and official language of our country.

one problem...we don't have an official language. if you want to call it an oversite by our FF, so be it, but we don't have one. ;)

"Them"is those that cannot speak any English or very,very little....

"Them" are those that are in a lower tax bracket than me,even though I struggle day to day to survive....

I get no government assistence and "they" get all of the governments benifits...

I guess I've entered new territory?I could go on and on....

"Them" are those that are in a lower tax bracket than me,even though I struggle day to day to survive....

I get no government assistence and "they" get all of the governments benifits...

Wow.... just, wow.

If you can get by without learning english, thats fine with me. I see no reason to force people to learn a language for other people's sake.

Seriously, if you are mad that it takes you an extra 5 seconds to order some kung pow chicken, the just order a pizza. :doh:

The irony is that your english kinda sucks.

Nobody is perfect rincewind...is this better for you..."sweet"?

But I'm generally good enough NOT to use spell check!

I ain't the only one that noticed:

The irony is that your english kinda sucks.

Edit: Hell, even Major noticed and he's blitzed. :laugh:

Archived