Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder one of Best Owners?

tkatz

As far as I'm concerned Dan Snyder continues to impress me as an owner. Those are words I never thought I would believe. Since taking over as the Redskins owner I had been incredibly critical of what Snyder had done. Up until Joe Gibbs was hired I had believed he was driving the franchise into the ground, making unwise free agent acquisitions, creating dissension among the locker room and coaching staff, while alienating both players an media alike...

But since Gibbs has come back I have seen a change in how Snyder acts as an owner. He has stayed out of the coaches way, he has not meddled or sabotaged the locker room, he has acted upon the advice of his coaching staff and gone after most free agents they desired (even if he disagreed), but most importantly he has tried to improve his team's player and coaching roster with as much talent as possible.

As an owner I hadn’t thought much of Dan Snyder. I didn’t like the way he treated the media, coaches, players, and fans alike nor did I like how he spent his money recklessly on ill advised free agents. And yet my opinion has changed drastically. I see him now as an owner who has learned his from mistakes and continues to improve. I think he has been somewhat humbled by coach Gibbs and I applaud him for the improvements he has made and how dedicated he is to winning. This is an up and coming franchise and for the first time in an incredibly long time I believe we have a great future in front of us.

If you asked anyone 3 or 4 years ago, hell no. If you ask Redskins' fans this offseason, were all jumping with Dan Snyder euphoria.

He made his first smart move by getting Joe Gibbs to come back. It's been all uphill from there.

He does a good job taking advantage of the money he has, and he would be a horrible owner if he did otherwise. Fans from other teams despise Snyder, for the very reason that he is a good owner. If he wasn't, they wouldn't give a damn.

I believe I started a thread in January 2005 outlining my belief Snyder is the BEST owner in ALL of sports at the moment. An owner's job is to hire people who have the credentials to be excellent football guys for you, and to provide them with what they require to win. Unfortunately Snyder did his job when Marty and Spurrier didn't. Some people still foolishly attempt to place a win-loss record on an owner when it belongs to a coach.

Snyder does what all fans would hope their owner would do. He provides what his people tell him they require to win. As long as he does that no one has an owner as fine. He's the best there is.

I believe I started a thread in January 2005 outlining my belief Snyder is the BEST owner in ALL of sports at the moment. An owner's job is to hire people who have the credentials to be excellent football guys for you, and to provide them with what they require to win. Unfortunately Snyder did his job when Marty and Spurrier didn't. Some people still foolishly attempt to place a win-loss record on an owner when it belongs to a coach.

Snyder does what all fans would hope their owner would do. He provides what his people tell him they require to win. As long as he does that no one has an owner as fine. He's the best there is.

I agree 100%

Really he had no other choice when he hired Gibbs though, if he would have screwed over Joe Gibbs then this fan base would have hung him in the biggest tree at Redskins park. He has absolutely become one of, if not the best owner in the NFL. He has learned what he can and can not do to be successful in the game of football. Exactly what Joe Gibbs did when he bought his Nascar team, hire the right people to run the show and then sit back and become a fan of what you created.

I know nobody wants to talk about when Gibbs finally says he is done. When he does, Snyder must continue down this same road. Whoever is retained to or is hired to coach this team must get the same treatment.

I see him now as an owner who has learned his from mistakes and continues to improve.

Here is the quote that I feel is exactly correct. He did exactly what a lot of us would have done as fans of the team...get the best big names that would hopefully get the team to win now, not thinking about future repercussions. He has been a Redskins fan all of his life and this was almost like a real-life fantasy team with Deion, Bruce Smith, Jeff George, etc.

He made a lot of mistakes, and he realized that there were better football people out there. He made personnel and staff calls, maybe skewed from a fans perspective. And as much as we can disagree with them now, how many people here were touting the signings of people like Deion and getting Spurrier when the happened? They did not work out, and Snyder has learned from those mistakes.

But anyone with a decent football mind can see the difference in the team over the last few years. We are acquiring players that are on the upswing of their careers, like Marcus Washington, Moss, Randle El, Lloyd, Carter, Springs, Griffin, Thomas, Portis, Rabach, etc. The amount of people that are comparing this team to what we did in 2000 is staggering, and it just is not true. Then we were signing names, not necessarily football players. Now we are signing football players that will become names when they prosper with the Skins.

These guys will only get better as a group, and we have Snyder to thank for getting the right people in place to get the right players to fit our team. Granted, it took a few years, but Snyder has done a great job to this point. I compare him somewhat to Mark Cuban, Cuban got stars in his first few years, but it did not equate to a championship, and it still hasn't. But he is starting to realize that it takes more than stars to be successful, and his team is getting better the more he learns that it takes more than names to win games.

Sorry. Simply saying that hires like Marty or Spurrier failed Snyder doesn't absolve him for making what turned out to be the wrong executive choices. It's like saying that the scouting department's inability to find late round gems is in no way a reflection of Snyder's inability to put the proper minds in charge of that task. Can't do it.

Kraft put a phenomenal coaching staff in place from top to bottom. He hired execs who succeeded in everything from managing the cap efficiently to routinely drafting diamonds in the rough, including Tom Brady. He delivered where it really counted, stuffing the trophy case in 3 of 4 years. And he wasn't left scrambling to make excuses for multiple key hires who were supposedly qualified but fell flat on their faces. That makes him the best owner, not Snyder.

Kraft hasn't needed to wrap wads of money in chewing gum and stick them in various leaks that have sprung from his ship. That's because his ship was carefully built over time by skilled craftsmen using fine materials.

A successful businessman like Snyder recognizes the importance of the bottom line. And the Skins sure are profitable as a business. Though they've improved as of late, under Snyder's watch, they've still been in the red as a team far more often than they've succeeded. And as results-driven as Snyder is, I sense that even he recognizes the multitude of ways that he's failed to keep pace with an an owner like Kraft.

At least you should hope that's the case.

i have 3 beefs against Dan Snyder.

1. i didn't like how he meddled with the franchise the first few years. what peeps have to realize is Dan Snyder is just a regular dude like us.....who happens to have a buttload of money. he's a redskin fan so when it became his team, he started basically playing madden franchise. and he didn't let the coaches do their job...put too much pressure on them. at least he's matured now.

2. i didn't like how he handled the LaVar situation. i'm pretty positive that the roster bonus dispute was the root of LaVar's Downfall

3. he still hasn't paid jerry jones back for stealing joey galloway out from under him a few years back. Dan Snyder was trying to get Galloway to come here from the seahawks, and just before he was about to land him, JJ snapped him up. the Danny....who was a bit peeved...told Jerry Jones that he "has a long memory"...meaning he'd pay him back. this is why i took exception to my wishes that he not meddle and was TOtally expecting Dan to pick T.O. up before the free agency period started.

Other than that...i'm impressed with the maturity he's shown. He's letting the football people do their jobs and just signing the paychecks. he's real aggressive and a hell of a businessman. i don't think trying to close the streets so pedestrians couldn't walk to the stadium and pay to get bused in was good taste though.

i don't fault marty schottenheimer for anything. he was only here for one season. he couldn't have been expected to turn the whole franchise around from jump could he? even joe gibbs needed a year.

spurrier was just a dumb hire. everyone and their grandmothers could see that the QB needed protection, but he couldn't.

dan snyder is the george steinbrener of football period!!!!!!!!

I do not think it is fair to compare him to Steinbrenner. There is no salary cap in baseball, and if there was not one in the NFL, maybe Snyder would try to buy all of the best free agents, we don't know. Baseball has their system, everybody loves or hates the Yankees, so they will watch their games. Eveybody wins, more power to them.

But in the NFL, it is a level playing field, and there are no "small market" teams. That pisses me off me when someone comments on "small market" teams in the NFL because everyone gets the same cut of TV money, unlike MLB.

We all have to work under the same cap...everybody has the same money to spend. All NFL owners are rich, and they can spend their money in in bonuses, etc. Some, like Snyder, choose to and some do not. It makes me wonder about the teams that are really concerned about winning and those that are only concerned about turning a profit.

How is he a better owner than Jerry Jones? He has no Super Bowl wins and he's made foolish mistakes during his tenure? He's known as the cash cow who is guaranteed to pay you far more than what your worth let alone what you're asking for?

2. i didn't like how he handled the LaVar situation. i'm pretty positive that the roster bonus dispute was the root of LaVar's Downfall

Its Lavars imbecile agents that is/was lavars downfall. Had they just read the damn contract..... you know do the job that they are probably getting paid a ton of money to do.... and this never happens. How can you not spot out a 6million roster bonus. The bonus's would be numbers you would think an agent would look at for sure. Yup i think the word imbecile pretty much sums up the Postons.

Nicely said Art.I agree 100%. It's a shame Mr Snyder can't get the credit he deserves,from the national media. :applause: :cheers:

You really love that job, huh Art? The man made a lot of mistakes big time when he first purchased the Redskins. He fired EVERYBODY from the front office. The scouting dept. was in shambles. He made the decisions to aquire the list of FA's (This was mostly under Norv Turner), Jeff George, Deon Sanders, etc. that turned out to be flops and splintered the team. He had his pet players that were allowed to go over the coaches head and complain directly to him (that's called undermining authority), taking them out to dinners, games, etc. He even admitted that letting Charley Casserly go was a mistake. The reason why he let Marty Shotenhiemer go after 1 year is that he would not relingquish his duties as GM and make changes in his coaching staff. That was public knowledge.

Everything he did (mistakes and all) were for the benefit of the team. Spurrier was a gamble and I think most owners in the league were also after him. He had pretty much by then, stayed out of the decision making in the coaches corner. The smartest move he has made to date is the hiring of Joe Gibbs. I may not be an inside guy like you, but I'm sure Joe might have said something along the lines as, Danny, I would love to come back here. I love this franchise and it's fans (best in the world). I know you mean well, but you have to let me make the decisions on player movement and aquisitions. I respect and value your opinion as an owner and that will be an influence in any decisions I may make, etc, etc, etc.

I think Danny has hit the learning curve as is evidenced by the upturn of this organization. As of now, yes, I do consider him to be one of the best owners in the league but to prop the man on a pedestal and declare him a Saint that has never sinned, your not being objective in my opinion.

yea since he went and got gibbs i have been satisfied then he neva stopped amazing me with getting personel like gregg williams and al saunders 2 players like santan moss and brandon lollyd cant wait 4 this season. He is a great buisness man he just had 2 learn the buisness of runnin an NFL team and i think he has done that and thats why our franchise is worth more than any other in the nfl

How is he a better owner than Jerry Jones? He has no Super Bowl wins and he's made foolish mistakes during his tenure? He's known as the cash cow who is guaranteed to pay you far more than what your worth let alone what you're asking for?

Jones doesn't even rate in the conversation. Jones is the acting general manager of your football team. No owner that self-centered and involved can be that good. No owner who creates an environment that allows his head coach NOT to be involved in playing acquistions or introductions of those players is a good owner.

Jones wanted to prove he could be a winner without Jimmy Johnson with Jones running the show. He has shown he isn't a winner in that circumstance. Where Snyder hired good football people like Marty and Spurrier and now Gibbs, Jones attempted to hire people he could rule over and make puppets of.

Jones is a joke in comparison to Snyder.

Archived