Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our draft is seriously constricted...

D'Pablo

We have an obvious hole at starting OLB, which definately needs to be filled. There is a lack of depth here, too. Our offensive line has almost no proven depth outside of Molinaro. Then there is CB, where if needed, we can bring over safeties to tide us over. I think there are only 3 legit CBs on our roster right now, and that includes Jimoh. So basically, we need 2-3 O-linemen, 2 OLBs, and 2 CBs. What we have to fulfill these needs are 6 draft picks (2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th (Gardner trade), 7th, 7th (compensatory). Maybe 2-3 of these guys will stick, while we have to fill the other gaps with FAs. Does anyone else think we are gonna go into this upcoming season with a glaring achilles' heal depth-wise?

We have an obvious hole at starting OLB' date=' which definately needs to be filled. There is a lack of depth here, too. Our offensive line has almost no proven depth outside of Molinaro. Then there is CB, where if needed, we can bring over safeties to tide us over. I think there are only 3 legit CBs on our roster right now, and that includes Jimoh. So basically, we need 2-3 O-linemen, 2 OLBs, and 2 CBs. What we have to fulfill these needs are 6 draft picks (2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th (Gardner trade), 7th, 7th (compensatory). Maybe 2-3 of these guys will stick, while we have to fill the other gaps with FAs. Does anyone else think we are gonna go into this upcoming season with a glaring achilles' heal depth-wise?[/quote']

I see what you are saying about depth, the main thing to decide is what depth position is more important. The most important to me seems to be Cornerback. I guess we will use our 2nd rounder on a cornerback becuase that is where it is most needed. One injury at that position and our secondary maybe crippled throughout the season. OLB can waite til next year, i think we should the rest of our picks on O Lineman and pickup a OLB late in the draft maybe 6 or 7th round.

There is also a potential Ramsey trade, which may get us more picks.

Really, tho, I'm not too worried. As time goes on, more players will be released, and there will be some vets available that will make nice backups.

I think CB probably is a high priority right now, since we were pretty thin last year and now lost Harris.

Jason

Offensive line is the most important position. Without that, doesn't matter what WRs we went out and got.

Think we will pick up a OL and CB in free agency for depth, we may be ok at LB since we have a few others. Then pick the PBA in the draft.

one or two of those needs will be filled by the draft, hopefully

no team has depth at every position, but offensive line must be addressed first

I beg to differ, we only have 2 solid corners we have 5 to possibly 6 solid O lineman. What if springs gets hurt and he has been hurt almost every year, then its all on carlos rodgers. Corner is way more Desperate O line right now.

We could have 50 draft picks and not do a thing about our depth needs for THIS year. Very few rookies do enough to help a team immediately to make you comfortable with playing them. And, when you play them, as the Cowboys had to, you saw what happened. They got shredded.

We'll add two more relatively inexpensive vets for backup offensive line, corner and/or linebacker. We'll fill in around that with a few rookies and second-year players to compete. Don't be surprised if we add three more bodies to address EACH position, and enter the draft with very few obvious needs.

We have an obvious hole at starting OLB' date=' which definately needs to be filled. There is a lack of depth here, too. Our offensive line has almost no proven depth outside of Molinaro. Then there is CB, where if needed, we can bring over safeties to tide us over. I think there are only 3 legit CBs on our roster right now, and that includes Jimoh. So basically, we need 2-3 O-linemen, 2 OLBs, and 2 CBs. What we have to fulfill these needs are 6 draft picks (2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th (Gardner trade), 7th, 7th (compensatory). Maybe 2-3 of these guys will stick, while we have to fill the other gaps with FAs. Does anyone else think we are gonna go into this upcoming season with a glaring achilles' heal depth-wise?[/quote']

Every team has depth issues. There are other avenues with which to add depth. Linemen will be available after the June 1st cuts. There will also be additional free agency moves after the draft. Teams that were able to get the players they targeted at these positions in the draft will release or be willing to trade veterans that may not be on the market today. I'm sure that come camp time there will be plenty of depth - especially at OL and CB (Buges and GW's favorite positions respectively). Besides - who said free agency is over? Gibbs already mentioned OLB as a focus. Just because the initial onslaught is over doesn't mean we're done adding to the roster.

We could have 50 draft picks and not do a thing about our depth needs for THIS year. Very few rookies do enough to help a team immediately to make you comfortable with playing them. And, when you play them, as the Cowboys had to, you saw what happened. They got shredded.

We'll add two more relatively inexpensive vets for backup offensive line, corner and/or linebacker. We'll fill in around that with a few rookies and second-year players to compete. Don't be surprised if we add three more bodies to address EACH position, and enter the draft with very few obvious needs.

So Ben Roethlesberger, Duante Robinson, Sean Taylor, Jonathan Vilma, and Odell thurman didnt have important effects on their teams. When rookies start out in the Nfl, they only get better unlike free agency what you see is what you get, plus they cost more.

Nice Post Art!

Robert McCune could have some impact to really help out this year!!! Maybe he's coming along and the coaches are starting to believe in him...

I know that I'm pulling for McCune!!!

So Ben Roethlesberger, Duante Robinson, Sean Taylor, Jonathan Vilma, and Odell thurman didnt have important effects on their teams. When rookies start out in the Nfl, they only get better unlike free agency what you see is what you get, plus they cost more.

i dont think you want to get into the discussion of whether rookies are pro-bowl caliber players upon being drafted. youre naming some of the most exceptional rookies out there that did have an impact, but for every roethlisberger out there, there are hundreds of manual whites, taylor jacobs, robert mccunes, etc, that didnt even see the field for most or all of the season.

Last year everyone was freaked out about our lack of a MLB. It seems that Marshall "filled in" just fine. Our staff has shown that they can get great production from no-name lb's. We have a number of them on the roster now and there's no reason to believe than among Clemons, Campbell, McCune, and a couple others we won't find someone we can do well. We also have 2-3 young cb's who were on the roster - PS last year who could turn into players. The staff has also talked about some young olinemen who could be players. There's no doubt that we will sign several more low profile fa's - like Mitchell the C-G from Carolina to be veteran backups. Honestly though, I don't think ANY team has their whole roster including third stringers any where near filled out yet. Be patient.

i dont think you want to get into the discussion of whether rookies are pro-bowl caliber players upon being drafted. youre naming some of the most exceptional rookies out there that did have an impact, but for every roethlisberger out there, there are hundreds of manual whites, taylor jacobs, robert mccunes, etc, that didnt even see the field for most or all of the season.

Yeah but every Randy Moss, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and countless other stars out there were all good there rookie year and the Organization knew that they could pay them the big bucks becuase becuase they were good for their team. Unlike when you pickup agents, most of the time they might not be that good for you becuase they were so good playing in some elses system in the Nfl that the system made them look good but when they come to your system the perform like trash.

We had nine LBs on roster last year without McCune.

It's strange to me that when a player departs, such as Lavar, people expect we have to replace him from outside the organization. Marshall stepped in admirably for Pierce, and now is a solid MLB. I think the staff would be inclined to give Khary Campbell or Clifton Smith or Chris Clemons a shot at the OLB job, and most likely one of them could hold it down.

Dare I say it? I think after last season Ade Jimoh proved he deserves his spot, and can fill in with CB depth. We still need another, but it's not an emergency.

the only holes left that I see are placekicker, and depth on the OL. OL depth can be picked up after June 1 most likely, or we use a few picks on them to get some raw bodies in to begin training.

~Bang

we need depth for certain, but when do we ever draft well? we might as well embrace free agency because that is where our depth is coming from

the key to a 4-3 defense is the line and the corners. The Redskins have two solid corners and have improved the DL. We need to resign Demetric Evans as a DE/DT player and then acquire a #3 corner and OLB.

I am thinking that the linebacker may very well be acquired in the draft or after June 1.

Notice that the depth players the Skins have been linked with so far in free agency have been interior offensive linemen.

That to me means that #2 pick is likely to be a CB, LB or OT.

the key to a 4-3 defense is the line and the corners. The Redskins have two solid corners and have improved the DL. We need to resign Demetric Evans as a DE/DT player and then acquire a #3 corner and OLB.

I am thinking that the linebacker may very well be acquired in the draft or after June 1.

Notice that the depth players the Skins have been linked with so far in free agency have been interior offensive linemen.

That to me means that #2 pick is likely to be a CB, LB or OT.

Is there and possibilty that Tye Hill may fall to the second round?

absolutely correct.. if we add a vet backup corner and a lineman to backup rabach and perhaps a linebacker before the draft, then we can pick the best player available at each point

We had nine LBs on roster last year without McCune.

It's strange to me that when a player departs, such as Lavar, people expect we have to replace him from outside the organization. Marshall stepped in admirably for Pierce, and now is a solid MLB. I think the staff would be inclined to give Khary Campbell or Clifton Smith or Chris Clemons a shot at the OLB job, and most likely one of them could hold it down.

Dare I say it? I think after last season Ade Jimoh proved he deserves his spot, and can fill in with CB depth. We still need another, but it's not an emergency.

the only holes left that I see are placekicker, and depth on the OL. OL depth can be picked up after June 1 most likely, or we use a few picks on them to get some raw bodies in to begin training.

~Bang

clifton smith is but a distant memory now.. but gibbs addressed the issue by saying specifically they wanted campbell back and plan to give him some reps at outside linebacker this year to see what he can do..

i just hope that mccune and clemons can step up

Archived