Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our draft is seriously constricted...

D'Pablo

Is there and possibilty that Tye Hill may fall to the second round?

doubt it.. he is ranked 1 or 2 as far as corners.. but cedric griffin might. he is like eugene wilson a corner/safety prospect. physical and good size.. he could end up like andre lott, the guy we used to have who flamed out or could end up being a great defensive back

doubt it.. he is ranked 1 or 2 as far as corners.. but cedric griffin might. he is like eugene wilson a corner/safety prospect. physical and good size.. he could end up like andre lott, the guy we used to have who flamed out or could end up being a great defensive back

Yea Cedrice Griffith would be a nice addition, he reminds me alot of Duante Robinson.

Yeah but every Randy Moss, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and countless other stars out there were all good there rookie year and the Organization knew that they could pay them the big bucks becuase becuase they were good for their team. Unlike when you pickup agents, most of the time they might not be that good for you becuase they were so good playing in some elses system in the Nfl that the system made them look good but when they come to your system the perform like trash.

And college isn't somebody else's system? You can't seriously believe that players in the draft are more consistently good than FAs?

I suggest you make a list of players that are available at the end of the first round of the draft and determine which ones you think are sure-fire good players their first year. I'd be willing to bet that at this time next year you would be shocked at how bad your success rate was. Take a look at last year's draft and see how many were good players last year.

i remember joe saying that they liked the corners on the practice squad and they could and they could fill the need if they had to. most concern was oline for veteran as they liked their youngsters.

hard to tell about those corners.. it looked like wilds and ruf brown were going tobe roster players but they were gone this year.

morton looked decent when on an island and patterson was okay.. i just do not know if either of them can be counted on to step up any further. jimoh has gotten better every year and he is no worse that the number 4 corner, pus he plays great special teams. beyond that it is hard to tell who we have

And college isn't somebody else's system? You can't seriously believe that players in the draft are more consistently good than FAs?

I suggest you make a list of players that are available at the end of the first round of the draft and determine which ones you think are sure-fire good players their first year. I'd be willing to bet that at this time next year you would be shocked at how bad your success rate was. Take a look at last year's draft and see how many were good players last year.

Thats not what i am saying. What i am saying is, Draft a rookie mold him and he will good for your team. Its harer to mold a free agent into your system when he has been playing in a different system in the nfl plus it is the first system he has learned in the Nfl. Most coaches draft rookies that fit their system best, so they could be playing good in the same system from college into the pros and then when they get cut or traded they will have to learn a brand new system. Thats pretty hard to do.

Thats not what i am saying. What i am saying is, Draft a rookie mold him and he will good for your team. Its harer to mold a free agent into your system when he has been playing in a different system in the nfl plus it is the first system he has learned in the Nfl. Most coaches draft rookies that fit their system best, so they could be playing good in the same system from college into the pros and then when they get cut or traded they will have to learn a brand new system. Thats pretty hard to do.

Sorry, but systems in college are far different from the pro game. It is much easier for a FA to adjust, because what they do in the pros isn't much different from team to team. You can't say the same about the college game.

Jason

We could have 50 draft picks and not do a thing about our depth needs for THIS year. Very few rookies do enough to help a team immediately to make you comfortable with playing them. And, when you play them, as the Cowboys had to, you saw what happened. They got shredded.

We'll add two more relatively inexpensive vets for backup offensive line, corner and/or linebacker. We'll fill in around that with a few rookies and second-year players to compete. Don't be surprised if we add three more bodies to address EACH position, and enter the draft with very few obvious needs.

We could certainly have 50 7th round draft picks and not address our depth needs. But to say that rookies can't contribute in general is just not true.

I posted this in a different thread, but it is still applicable. This is a list of 3rd round picks that contributed in a positive way to their teams. None of these players was a liability and none of them got "shredded" any more than your average FA pickup.

And as for the representation of 3rd round picks on Sundays last year, here is a list of 2005 3rd round picks who played significant roles for their teams last season:

Frank Gore

Charlie Frye

Channing Crowder

Alex Smith (TE)

Ryan Moats

Kirk Morrison

Chris Henry

Ellis Hobbs

Scott Starks

Dominique Foxworth

Leroy Hill

Dustin Colquitt

Nick Kaczur

Adam Snyder

And that is not to mention other players like Andrew Walter, Vernand Morency, Justin Tuck, Eric Green, Richie Incognito, Kevin Everett, and Jordan Beck who are being talked about as major players on their teams in the upcoming season or two.

Of course, all of our picks wouldn't be third rounders, and there's no guarantee that they could contribute. But the pervasive attitude that rookies who don't happen to be blue-chippers can't play a solid role for a team is just inaccurate. We certainly could have picked up a decent CB or OG in the 3rd round had we hung on to that pick.

... This is a list of 3rd round picks that contributed in a positive way to their teams. ...

Frank Gore

Charlie Frye

Channing Crowder

Alex Smith (TE)

Ryan Moats

Kirk Morrison

Chris Henry

Ellis Hobbs

Scott Starks

Dominique Foxworth

Leroy Hill

Dustin Colquitt

Nick Kaczur

Adam Snyder

And that is not to mention other players like Andrew Walter, Vernand Morency, Justin Tuck, Eric Green, Richie Incognito, Kevin Everett, and Jordan Beck who are being talked about as major players on their teams in the upcoming season or two.

Seriously, I've heard of Charlie Frye, Frank Gore, Chris Henry, Ryan Moats, & Colquitt.

Are the rest really any good?

So Ben Roethlesberger, Duante Robinson, Sean Taylor, Jonathan Vilma, and Odell thurman didnt have important effects on their teams. When rookies start out in the Nfl, they only get better unlike free agency what you see is what you get, plus they cost more.

Well except all those guys but Thurman were first round picks. (And he would have been as well except for the attitude questions surrounding him). A low second rounder makes it difficult to land an impact player immediately. Sure it can happen, but I'm not sure its fair to compare those rookies to someone we might be able to land in this draft.

Seriously, I've heard of Charlie Frye, Frank Gore, Chris Henry, Ryan Moats, & Colquitt.

Are the rest really any good?

Yes. They aren't world beaters by any means, but they were solid players/fill-ins for their teams.

Frank Gore: 608 yards, 3 TDs, 4.8 YPC

Charlie Frye: Started at the end of the season, 2-2 record, 73.0 rating, 60% completions

Channing Crowder: Started, 84 tackles, 1FF, 2 FRs

Alex Smith (TE): 41 catches, 367 yards, 2 TDs

Ryan Moats: 278 yards, 3 TDs, 5.1 YPC

Kirk Morrison: Started, 116 tackles, 2 FRs, DROY candidate

Chris Henry: 3rd WR, 31 catches, 422 yards, 6 TDs

Ellis Hobbs: Started most of season for Pats, 44 tackles, 3 INTs, 2 FRs, 24.1 KR avg.

Scott Starks: Didn't do that much, 13 tackles, 2 PDs, mostly ST play

Dominique Foxworth: Started several games, nickel CB, 70 tackles, 2 INTs, 2 FRs, 23 PDs

Leroy Hill: Started most of season for Seahawks, 72 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 2 FFs

Dustin Colquitt: 39,4 yard punt average, 35.2 net, 27 In20

Nick Kaczur: took over for as starter at LT Matt Light for Pats, started remainder of season

Adam Snyder: played several games at RT, projected starter next season

The other players I mentioned did not play much last season due to being behind established vets, but are expected to play major roles for their teams.

And these are only the players I know about...

OL should not be a problem as several veteran lineman are available and will become available in june. CB is the real problem and i think we need atleast one veteran who can start if need be without having to roll over coverage in his direction. We should be able to pick up some veteran LB late like we did last year with Holdman

Archived