Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly's Runyan to NE? Who's Gonna Block For McNabb?

tr1

From today's Inquirer:

"There are rumblings that the New England Patriots may have an interest in Eagles right tackle Jon Runyan."

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14108718.htm

With the tons of cash Philly has, how can they let this guy go? He's been an anchor on the O-Line, a good acquisition who wore the Green proudly, and is an all around good guy.

And you wonder why players don't like to come to Philly.

either way it's a valid point. However, Jeremiah Trotter did return, and so did Hugh Douglas.

But yeh, i always thought the Eagles were running a smart organization by not overpaying much, re-signing players when they are about to hit their prime in order to keep their contract numbers low (Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown), and letting aging veterans go. However, looking back now, Jon Runyan is still one of the best linemen out there, and letting him go may be a huge mistake for them.

I don't think Lurie will let NE sign Runyan. If there is one organization that Lurie won't allow to be stood up by I think it's the Patsies. But what do I know? I would like to keep Runyan for another 2-3 years and then have Herremans step in for him. I hope we do re-sign him.

His replacement is already on the roster. Eagles actually *gasp* keep their draft picks and have been stocking away 3-4th round OL for the last three years.

Is his replacement Andrews? Or Herremans? Do you really trust either of them to keep McNabb off his back? I think its a huge mistake to let Runyon go. And Philly fans love him; helps with P/R, ya know.

I'd be surprised if the Eagles kept Runyan because of the way they treat players. Once a guy hits 30 and his contract expires they generally don't renew/re-up them. Dawkins is the only exception I can think of for them, but the locals would have gone nuts if they let him go. Runyan is a guy you like to have on your team and hate to play against because he plays with a mean streak. Wouldn't mind the Skins picking him up for depth.

I'd be surprised if the Eagles kept Runyan because of the way they treat players. Once a guy hits 30 and his contract expires they generally don't renew/re-up them. Dawkins is the only exception I can think of for them, but the locals would have gone nuts if they let him go. Runyan is a guy you like to have on your team and hate to play against because he plays with a mean streak. Wouldn't mind the Skins picking him up for depth.

Runyon is definitely not signing with a team as "depth". He will command a pretty nice $$ -- not sure why Houston isn't signing him. He may be asking too much. He is still able to command starting tackle $$.

Let me break a few things down for you guys......this is all being said with the chance that Runyan can come back.

He's not dominate. He's not great. He's a little better than average, at this point. His nasty streak is offset by the fact that, physically, he cannot overpower many and he still gets beat by speed rushers.

Herremans, physically, is 2x the player Jon is now. He is also very nasty. And big. And strong. He just needs to start. It will either be this year or next year, depending on what the Eagles do with Runyan.

The Eagles are sitting back waiting to see if he gets any offers. From what they have been saying in the Philly papers and on the radio, he hasn't gotten any. As a matter of fact, he went on vacation this week. He is good enough to start on a lot of teams but he's not commanding top dollar. The Eagles would be wise to bring him back and let they guys compete in camp to be a starter. On other thing, don't think Runyan has missed a game in the time he's been on the Eagles.

What are the chances that Runyon comes back if they Eagles FO thinks the way you do? I think Runyon is better than Herremans, and I believe that most Eagles fans would agree with me. All the cap $$$$ you are proud to have, why wouldn't you sign your stud OT to a nice deal ... You say he isn't a stud, I say run the ball and see what he can do. Maybe you're saving that $$ for Fred Ex.

HTTR

Let me break a few things down for you guys......this is all being said with the chance that Runyan can come back.

He's not dominate. He's not great. He's a little better than average, at this point. His nasty streak is offset by the fact that, physically, he cannot overpower many and he still gets beat by speed rushers.

Herremans, physically, is 2x the player Jon is now. He is also very nasty. And big. And strong. He just needs to start. It will either be this year or next year, depending on what the Eagles do with Runyan.

While Runyan isn't dominate, he's consistent.

While he's not great, he's durable.

While he's a little better than average, he's a veteran who is a trust blocker and a road paver when in sync with Andrews.

Listen, every morning when he's on WIP, the guy shows why he deserves to play for the Eagles. He is a Philadelphia blue collar guy who uses strength and intelligence to get the job done. While Herremans is the future, he needs to be brought alone because he is raw with a capitial "R". Runyan is a gladiator who I wouldn't mind going to war with on ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!

Number5, I agree. But, we can have this same conversation about him every year for the next 3-4 years. Eventually, he has to be replaced.

Gosh, with that argument, I believe you should draft a QB at #14 this year. Give me a break, Runyon should stay with the Eagles, they screwed him last year out of $600K and now, they have no shot to keep him. I will completely, truly **** my pants if he re-signs with Philly. In fact, I think he'd take a pay cut to move on.

Number5, I agree. But, we can have this same conversation about him every year for the next 3-4 years. Eventually, he has to be replaced.

So I say give him a nice 2-3 year deal with a nice signing bonus. Show him the respect that he deserves by giving him the 600K back and triple it as a sign of loyality and as an apology.

So I say give him a nice 2-3 year deal with a nice signing bonus. Show him the respect that he deserves by giving him the 600K back and triple it as a sign of loyality and as an apology.

The Eagles won't do that, but they should keep him. I live in the Philly area, work there but am a Skins fan, and follow the Eagles as well. He is one of the guys I like on the team. He's on the radio good bit and is well spoken and very honest. He also seems to like the area and would like to keep the family here. I'd give him a decent offer, don't have to break the bank for him to get him to stay put.

Archived