Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Randle El: Upside = Huge

BD

Following on Om's lead, here: http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148046

First off: For several years, the NFL team I've watched second only to the Redskins is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I've been to five games over the past three years at Heinz Field, including the amazing playoff game against the Jets last year. One of my best friends is a Pittsburgh fan; I have relatives in Pittsburgh; and while my folks are Redskins fans, I'm young enough that I have little memory of Joe Gibbs' first tenure here... so during the dark years of Norv and Frerotte, I'd always end up cheering for Pittsburgh when the playoffs came near.

I love the old-fashioned system they run; I love their tough defense and their hard-core blue-collar fanbase; and I love watching the crazy games they seem to end up in - not just this year against the Colts, or when they ended the runs of the Eagles and Pats; remember that incredible one against the Browns four years back?

I know this team almost as well as I know the Redskins - the coaching personnel, the FO, the players (my sister was one of Heath Miller's friends at UVA; another friend shows up in Big Ben's blog all the time).

So given that, here's my attitude toward the Randle El signing: it's all about upside.

Throw out Randle El's stats. They aren't impressive. It's easy to see why; for two years of Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch, and Big Ben, the Steelers have used a system that practically steals TDs from WRs. They love big plays to get in the redzone, then pounding it in for the TD. They simply don't throw often enough to give us an accurate representation of Randle El's skills. The Steelers didn't have a single guy break 1,000 yards this year; there's a reason for that.

So why did we pay Randle El #1 money to be a #2 receiver? It's not just because he was the best guy on the market: it's because of upside.

Upside #1: Special teams. Randle El has game-breaking speed, and unlike Moss, no significant history of injury. He immediately gives us a consistent threat on punt returns and kick returns (if we want).

Upside #2: Trick plays. Randle El's skills as a college QB-turned NFL slash player are well-documented (he finished 6th in Heisman voting). You saw how Gibbs used Portis (who throws one uggggly trick pass, as we all know); imagine those plays with a guy who can actually throw a rope.

Upside #3: Young but solid. Randle El is 26, healthy, hasn't missed a single game, and is about to enter the prime of his career. Joe Gibbs never wants to be in a position where one injury would destroy his offense, as an injury to Moss would have last year. Randle El and Lloyd together ensure that the Redskins go three deep for starting caliber WRs... no more Jimmy Farris signings, folks.

Upside #4: Performance under pressure. Gibbs likes to get guys who've played on the biggest stages and withstood the pressure (see him getting Patten, Brunell, talking to Fauria, etc.). Even for such a young player, Randle El has played in EIGHT playoff games in his brief career, including the Super Bowl victory. In those games - again, working within the WR-unfriendly Pittsburgh system - he has the following stats: (3 rushes for 19 yards; 25 catches for 315 yards and 1 TD; one pass for 43 yards and 1 TD). Clutch, people.

Upside #5: The X factor. In Santana Moss, we found a player who broke out of his shell - he'd been an average or decent WR in New York, but he elevated to a completely new level in D.C. In Randle El, Gibbs clearly believes he's found another such player - someone who can shine if they're called on to do more than they did with their original team.

If you believe Joe's right, you like this signing. If you believe he's wrong - well, wait and see.

BD

So you think El is the #2 option, with Lloyd #3? Or do you thin they will be interchangable?

I assume you saw Lloyd when he was the Steelers #3 before he was the #2. Did he look more comfortable/effective there? His numbers were down last year from the year before...

Following on Om's lead, here: http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148046

First off: For several years, the NFL team I've watched second only to the Redskins is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I've been to five games over the past three years at Heinz Field, including the amazing playoff game against the Jets last year. One of my best friends is a Pittsburgh fan; I have relatives in Pittsburgh; and while my folks are Redskins fans, I'm young enough that I have little memory of Joe Gibbs' first tenure here... so during the dark years of Norv and Frerotte, I'd always end up cheering for Pittsburgh when the playoffs came near.

I love the old-fashioned system they run; I love their tough defense and their hard-core blue-collar fanbase; and I love watching the crazy games they seem to end up in - not just this year against the Colts, or when they ended the runs of the Eagles and Pats; remember that incredible one against the Browns four years back?

I know this team almost as well as I know the Redskins - the coaching personnel, the FO, the players (my sister was one of Heath Miller's friends at UVA; another friend shows up in Big Ben's blog all the time).

So given that, here's my attitude toward the Randle El signing: it's all about upside.

Throw out Randle El's stats. They aren't impressive. It's easy to see why; for two years of Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch, and Big Ben, the Steelers have used a system that practically steals TDs from WRs. They love big plays to get in the redzone, then pounding it in for the TD. They simply don't throw often enough to give us an accurate representation of Randle El's skills. The Steelers didn't have a single guy break 1,000 yards this year; there's a reason for that.

So why did we pay Randle El #1 money to be a #2 receiver? It's not just because he was the best guy on the market: it's because of upside.

Upside #1: Special teams. Randle El has game-breaking speed, and unlike Moss, no significant history of injury. He immediately gives us a consistent threat on punt returns and kick returns (if we want).

Upside #2: Trick plays. Randle El's skills as a college QB-turned NFL slash player are well-documented (he finished 6th in Heisman voting). You saw how Gibbs used Portis (who throws one uggggly trick pass, as we all know); imagine those plays with a guy who can actually throw a rope.

Upside #3: Young but solid. Randle El is 26, healthy, hasn't missed a single game, and is about to enter the prime of his career. Joe Gibbs never wants to be in a position where one injury would destroy his offense, as an injury to Moss would have last year. Randle El and Lloyd together ensure that the Redskins go three deep for starting caliber WRs... no more Jimmy Farris signings, folks.

Upside #4: Performance under pressure. Gibbs likes to get guys who've played on the biggest stages and withstood the pressure (see him getting Patten, Brunell, talking to Fauria, etc.). Even for such a young player, Randle El has played in EIGHT playoff games in his brief career, including the Super Bowl victory. In those games - again, working within the WR-unfriendly Pittsburgh system - he has the following stats: (3 rushes for 19 yards; 25 catches for 315 yards and 1 TD; one pass for 43 yards and 1 TD). Clutch, people.

Upside #5: The X factor. In Santana Moss, we found a player who broke out of his shell - he'd been an average or decent WR in New York, but he elevated to a completely new level in D.C. In Randle El, Gibbs clearly believes he's found another such player - someone who can shine if they're called on to do more than they did with their original team.

If you believe Joe's right, you like this signing. If you believe he's wrong - well, wait and see.

BD

:notworthy :applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers:

So you think El is the #2 option, with Lloyd #3? Or do you thin they will be interchangable?

I assume you saw Lloyd when he was the Steelers #3 before he was the #2. Did he look more comfortable/effective there? His numbers were down last year from the year before...

I assume you meant Randle El in the second paragraph there.

Yes, I saw him as both. Randle El looked worse this year than he did as a #3 with Burress - BUT I'd argue that had a lot less to do with him than it did with the fact that Roethlisberger missed so much time this year to injury. Tommy Maddox was god-awful, and Charlie Batch is very mediocre.

Want proof? All of the Steelers WRs stats were down this year from last year.

The other thing to consider is that, assuming we're running more 3 WR sets, consider that Randle El and Lloyd both have experience playing in the slot - they really can alternate. I'd argue that Randle El is the #2 not just because of the money paid to him, but because he's a better run blocker than Lloyd (or Moss for that matter).

BD

i love the Brandon Lloyd signing, but i question the Randle El signing, as i would have much rather seen the Redskins pursue a DE, because that contract they signed with Randle El could be very costly, especially if he doesn't produce as a WR like everyone is claiming he will on here. i have watched him play every year on the Steelers, whose Offense in many ways is similar to the Redskins, as both teams run the ball more than any other teams in the NFL. Randle El is only a proven player on special teams/trick plays, and does not run good routes, let alone have very sure hands. i'm quite disappointed that so many Redskins fans have already written off Patten as the slot WR, because he doesn't have those 3 Super Bowl rings for nothing. we will see what Saunders can turn Randle El into as a WR, because he is the top Offensive guru in the NFL, but you all need to stop hating on Patten, just because he got injured last season. unless the Redskins plan on cutting David this week, which they would have most likely done this weekend before all their free agent signings, he is going to take Randle El under his win to help turn him into a good WR, because Patten is full of heart, knowledge, and class.

I will add a lot of us last year were a little surprised with the Moss signing, and he turned out ok. Even though I am not a big fan of Randle El i will give Gibbs the benefit of the doubt, you can say he has earned it :)

Now get Carter :cheers:

Like I Said in another Post. I think he will turn out to be much like Wizards Guard Gilbert Arenas. Young with much potential. And now with Gilbert the potential has turned to All-Star Stud. I see Antwann Randle El the same way. Still very Young and green. He will get more touches with the Redskins then he did with the Steelers and he will bloom right before our eyes. :)

:dj:

Honestly, does it even matter? Last year, when we Patton and traded for Moss, some people were wondering who would be #1 and #2. Sounds absurd now, but it seemed quite reasonable to many on the board at the time. Things will work themselves out on the field. I really don't know why people are looking to lock people into slots.

That's one thing that hasn't come up in ANY discussions of Randle-El: This guy is clutch in the playoffs. He takes it up a notch.

To the original poster: yes I saw that Pitt vs. Browns game a couple years ago in the playoffs. That is, to this day, one of the most exciting games I have ever watched. I remember how ridiculous that offense was. They completely flipped the script from the Pittsburgh offenses of the past. Pittsburgh, up til that point, had been a run-run-run and run some more offense. When Randle-El and Burress came in, they turned into the offense that you see today. Yes, they are still run first. But, they are COMPLETELY different from the run-first Pittsburgh offenses of the past (meaning: they have taken it to the next level).

Seeing as we'll be making a push for the playoffs this season, we need players who don't get stage fright. We need the players who perform best under pressure. I think Randle-El is one of those guys.

unless the Redskins plan on cutting David this week, which they would have most likely done this weekend before all their free agent signings, he is going to take Randle El under his win to help turn him into a good WR, because Patten is full of heart, knowledge, and class.

I didn't know David Patten was a member. ;)

Awesome post, and also this addition will make the transition for Jason Campbell into the starting role easier as well, similar to Ben Rothlesberger's situation in Pittsburg.

The way Joe Gibbs is putting the pieces together, you can see how we have won championships under his great leadership. Younger players will learn from these players, understand the team concept, and refine their skills. Because of their natural ability they will compensate for mistakes.

To the original poster: yes I saw that Pitt vs. Browns game a couple years ago in the playoffs. That is, to this day, one of the most exciting games I have ever watched.
I remember that game too. The best game of Kelley Holocomb's career! I thought the Browns should have won that game. The officials in Pittsburg called 2 or 3 bogus penalties in the hometeam's favor during the last couple possessions.

I just chuckle :laugh: when I see all this talk about who is number one,two or three at wide receiver!!!Maybe it's bigger than that folks!!!I think we need good bodys to play three and four wide receiver sets for Saunders and Gibbs!!!I just love that we have the speed that we do now!!!!Can you say we are "headed for that number one spot".Gibbs wants depth at the wide receiver position and if all stay healthy,then look out!!!!Brunnell should have a field day this year throwing!!!I agree with the original poster nothing but good can come from these moves!!!

Archived