Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free agents -- We let them go, or no?

RIDETHEWALRUS

From reading the various threads on FAs we are lookingat and considering our history of locking down big names, do we get whoever we want?

Seriously, I have read threads that speak of Randel-El and Andre Carter as if they have already signed deals. Are we that nice? Do you honetly believe that all we have to do is send out Redskins one and wine and dine to get a guy to sign a contract?

Also, who was the last FA we seriously went after that we didn't get?

Todd Collins is probally signed just hasnt been reported.

As for Andre Carter and Antwaan Randle El. Well, were probally not big players in Randle El anymore and we should start seeing "Redskins interested in David Givens" threads soon. But as for Andre Carter, We signed him it just hasnt been reported or were have to be high on his list.

Todd Collins is probally signed just hasnt been reported.

As for Andre Carter and Antwaan Randle El. Well, were probally not big players in Randle El anymore and we should start seeing "Redskins interested in David Givens" threads soon. But as for Andre Carter, We signed him it just hasnt been reported or were have to be high on his list.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl?PHPSESSID=f34b0b1eb822212ab2cfef450a78a555

Texans | Givens cancels visit; reports say he re-signed with New England

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:12:28 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has canceled his visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 12. Reports out of New England late Saturday evening, March 11, were that Givens had decided to re-sign with the New England Patriots.

I think out of the 4 visitors, Carter is the most likely to sign today. Collins and AA would be close seconds.

My main concern with ARE is that he will likely be looking at playing time when deciding which team to go. While nothing is etched in stone, you would figure that he would be the no.3 in WAS, where he could be the No.2 (worst case) in CHI.

All depends on his motivation, if it comes down to money then he is the skins' to lose, if it comes down to PT, the competition stiffens.

Can anyone on this board explain WHY we would go dump so much money on Randle El? Personally I think the guy is asking for $9 million more than he deserves for a signing bonus and $4 million a year more than what he is worth. Let Brown return kicks and Patton be our #3. WHY WHY WHY? If anyone thinks Randle El is worth it please explain.

This is a somewhat different market than we see in that NONE of the players is SOOOOO coveted or established we can't live without. Randle El knows Lloyd is on tap. So, he may not come regardless of money. We won't really know until that develops. Maybe Carter is being told we see him as a full-time linebacker, which he would like less -- or vice versa -- and he might be a harder sell. Archuleta wants to be loved :).

I think there's a little less urgency on our part with some of these guys because we have fewer gaps to fill and they are guys who are generally young, with upside who aren't totally established as star players, so the market is less set on them.

Id much rather see us bring in ARE/Carter/Archuleta, than let any of them go.

ARE would bring us a legitimate Punt/Kick Returner (rather than risking the injury of Santana), and a good #3 WR.

I hate it when people say you cant have 3 good WR's. ROTATE!

Art Monk/Ricky Sanders/Gary Clark/Clint Diddier (TE)

Next Years equivalent (Although nowhere near as good) could be:

Brandon Lloyd/Santana Moss/Antwaan Randle El/Chris Cooley (TE)

Now that is a great Recieving Core.

This is a somewhat different market than we see in that NONE of the players is SOOOOO coveted or established we can't live without. Randle El knows Lloyd is on tap. So, he may not come regardless of money. We won't really know until that develops. Maybe Carter is being told we see him as a full-time linebacker, which he would like less -- or vice versa -- and he might be a harder sell. Archuleta wants to be loved :).

I think there's a little less urgency on our part with some of these guys because we have fewer gaps to fill and they are guys who are generally young, with upside who aren't totally established as star players, so the market is less set on them.

uh oh....That sounds a lot like Art trying to lower expectations.

But you can run out of cap space if you spend the amount of money on WR's as we are talking about. Come on folks. This is Randle El. He is a #3 and should play for about $1 million and sign for the limo ride to Redskin Park if he is lucky. Thank God the Danny isn't out there firing off signing bonuses like the past.

It's time for the Posse 2.0. You will never hear me complain about having too many weapons. Far better then last year when we had Moss and no one else. One injury and we're still ok with all the talent we'd have with this group.

We have to atleast get something straght here. If we want Randle-El we are going to have to pay a little bit more than what teams are offering. We are offering him a slot position and a KR/PR. Other teams he'd be their number 2. So if we are offering him less playing time than anyone else then we'd have to up our offer some to convince him to take a lesser role with us than with someone else. Just my opinion.

But I can't see us getting too crazy for him...

uh oh....That sounds a lot like Art trying to lower expectations.

Uh, nope.

The situation is different is all. No matter how impressed Randle El is, it is not unreasonable to expect he wonders at the number of balls that can come his way in an offense that already has two good receivers. Maybe Andre Carter entered free agency ONLY wishing to play end and he's being asked to play linebacker, or, again, vice versa. We're so targeted now with fewer gaps to fill, you start running up against internal competition and player expectation more than you have when you've had more weaknesses and a wider focus.

We're going to come out of the opening rush with a number of quality guys. Remember, we don't let those we actually covet go like you do. :).

As much as I want Randle El to come to Washington, I think Snyder would be right to say that he should not be payed more than Santana Moss, who is, without question, the top wide reciever here. Moss got a 6 year, $31 million contract to be the top wideout, and its really hard to justify giving Randle El a 6 year $36 million contract when he didn't even get half the yards Moss got last year.

Not a big name, but I know we went after R.W. Mcquarters last year and he chose the Lions. But as far as a big name can't really recall one. I think role players may choose other teams because by the time we go to sign them there are teams desperate for starters offering them a little more money then we can because we've signed the bigger names already.

Archived