Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CP: Bentley snubs Eagles

Westbrook36

Wow, his agent said that Bentley only had one team on his mind. Eagles must be cheap.

Bentley snubs Eagles

The rumors put him in Philadelphia. Instead, he went home to Ohio and signed with the Browns.

By Bob Brookover

Inquirer Staff Writer

Yes, that was another painful interception the Eagles were forced to endure yesterday.

This time, they watched helplessly as their primary free-agent target was picked off by the Cleveland Browns, a team that has had just one winning record in its seven seasons since returning to the NFL as an expansion franchise in 1999.

It was no secret that the Eagles wanted to sign unrestricted free agent LeCharles Bentley, and they thought they had an outstanding opportunity to do so. But when free agency finally opened at 12:01 a.m. yesterday, the Browns used their hometown advantage to sign the Pro Bowl center to a six-year deal worth a reported $36 million, including a $12.5 million signing bonus.

"He only had one team on his mind - the Cleveland Browns," said Jonathan Feinsod, one of the agents representing Bentley. "He's from Cleveland, he went to Ohio State, and that's where he wanted to play. I heard the rumors about the Eagles, but I don't know where they came from."

The consolation prize for the Eagles may end up being a defensive lineman from the New Orleans Saints, the team that employed Bentley last season.

Two league sources said that defensive end Darren Howard is scheduled to visit the Eagles today at the NovaCare Complex.

Howard drew the Eagles' interest two years ago when he was a free agent, but the team signed Jevon Kearse instead. Howard, 29, averaged nearly 71/2 sacks in six seasons with the Saints, including 11 two years ago. He had a career-low 31/2 sacks last season and missed the final four games with a knee injury.

The Eagles, according to multiple sources, also have struck a deal with tight end Matt Schobel, which they will announce either today or tomorrow. Schobel, who will serve as the backup to L.J. Smith, has agreed to a five-year deal worth $1.8 million. Schobel, a four-year veteran from TCU, has nine touchdowns among his 90 career catches with the Cincinnati Bengals. He had 18 catches for 193 yards and one touchdown last season and is considered an outstanding receiver.

Through a team spokesman, the Eagles denied that they ever had a deal in place with Bentley, as was reported by the Trenton Times yesterday. Feinsod also said that wasn't the case.

That spin is fine, but a close friend of Bentley's was telling people just before free agency originally was scheduled to open March 3 that the center was ready to sign a deal with the Eagles. There was also a strong feeling at One NovaCare Way that Bentley wanted to join the Eagles.

Why the change?

Most likely it was Bentley's ties to Cleveland. He was born and raised there, went to St. Ignatius High School, a football power in the city, and his family, including two children, remains there.

The Eagles, according to a league source, feared that Bentley might be leaning toward signing with the Browns earlier in the week when word leaked that Cleveland was trying to trade center Jeff Faine, a three-year starter and former first-round draft pick who is just 24 years old.

By sunrise, the Eagles knew Bentley was headed to Cleveland and they would have to look elsewhere to improve their offensive line.

More in link

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14079604.htm

I think Matt Schobel was the missing link to the Eagles, you guys should win the Super Bowl next year with that one move. :laugh: :laugh:

Laugh but number 2 TE was probably the biggest weakness on our team outside of starting WLB.

Howard is visiting tomorrow. I am good with that. You had him to a rotation of Kearse, Cole, Thomas and McDougle and you now have a respectable DE corps. Draft Broderick Bunkley and you have a downright scary DL.

Laugh but number 2 TE was probably the biggest weakness on our team outside of starting WLB.

Howard is visiting tomorrow. I am good with that. You had him to a rotation of Kearse, Cole, Thomas and McDougle and you now have a respectable DE corps. Draft Broderick Bunkley and you have a downright scary DL.

But still no WR core. Hahahaha!

Just messin' w/ ya

So why didn't he tell the Eagles that? Especially when rumors had it that he was signed?

Sorry, WB, I'm not buying it. I think the Eagles were negotiating...and pulled the plug...just a hunch.

Because though he wanted to go home to Cleveland, he wanted to do so with a nice chunk of change.

Bentley was negotiating, and the Eagles were played like a fiddle.

I wouldn't call them cheap on this one. Naive? Certainly.

All that being said, I'm certain there was a dollar amount that would have brought him to Philly. It's possible that the non-hometown rate would have been high enough for the signing to no longer be reasonable, but I'd say Bentley is the type of player teams can justify overpaying.

Let's see how the next two weeks play out.

Jeez, stop it Eagle fans. You got ganked. Plain and simple. EVERY free agent who signs ANYWHERE says they signed because it's where the really wanted to play all along. Randle El will do that if he signs in Chicago or in D.C. Or, anywhere else. Cleveland came in with a higher offer and Bentley went there. Trust me, had the Eagles came back with a legitimate offer, Bentley would still be listening if not signed.

But, it feels good watching you boys explain away the blunder this way. Means you'll never hold your folks accountable and as long as they run your ship this way, it's good news for my team :).

Jeez, stop it Eagle fans. You got ganked. Plain and simple. EVERY free agent who signs ANYWHERE says they signed because it's where the really wanted to play all along. Randle El will do that if he signs in Chicago or in D.C. Or, anywhere else. Cleveland came in with a higher offer and Bentley went there. Trust me, had the Eagles came back with a legitimate offer, Bentley would still be listening if not signed.

But, it feels good watching you boys explain away the blunder this way. Means you'll never hold your folks accountable and as long as they run your ship this way, it's good news for my team :).

I agree with you.

I think I've said in just about every post that there was certainly a dollar amount that would have brought him to Philly.

Wow, his agent said that Bentley only had one team on his mind. Eagles must be cheap.

In a word.......yes.

If the Eagles FO felt that a premiere center was their #1 offseason priority and targeted Bentley as the guy they wanted, they should have made him an offer he could not refuse (even if his initial desire was to sign with his hometown team). The Eagles have the cap room to do it.

They may have the philosophy of not "overpaying" for a player, but then be prepared for things like what happened yesterday to happen again and again.

Bottom line for me. The Eagles targeted Bentley as their #1 move, and despite ample cap space, they failed to offer a contract to get him to come to Philly. To me, that's a cheap organization.

Bottom line for me. The Eagles targeted Bentley as their #1 move, and despite ample cap space, they failed to offer a contract to get him to come to Philly. To me, that's a cheap organization.

I don't really want to defend the Eagles right now, because I'm pretty dissapointed. But your statement could be tweaked very little to read as an endorsement of the Eagles' FO.

"Bottom line for me. The Eagles targeted Bentely as their #1 move, and despite ample cap space, they decided against offering him a contract to come to Philly once his price tag rose above the area they had set as his value. To me, that's a smart and reasonable organization.

Not saying that's how I feel. Just putting it out there.

How bout not having a #1 WR? How bout having a coach that wants to pass 70% of the time? How bout run stoppers? How bout probably losing Runyon and not having a replacement? How bout your QB who can't lead the locker room? I think #2 TE is not such a big deal right now for them.

In a word.......yes.

If the Eagles FO felt that a premiere center was their #1 offseason priority and targeted Bentley as the guy they wanted, they should have made him an offer he could not refuse (even if his initial desire was to sign with his hometown team). The Eagles have the cap room to do it.

They may have the philosophy of not "overpaying" for a player, but then be prepared for things like what happened yesterday to happen again and again.

As far as I'm concerned, the Eagles HAVE to overpay to get a FA to sign in Philly. Why else would they come to that organization? Arguably their best OL player in the last 10 years was screwed out of 700K last year by the FO. Why would anyone want to play for the iggles? WINDOW SHUT ! Buh Bye Birds

HTTR

So why didn't he tell the Eagles that? Especially when rumors had it that he was signed?

Sorry, WB, I'm not buying it. I think the Eagles were negotiating...and pulled the plug...just a hunch.

I absolutley love all you know-it-all Skins fans. All of you seem to have both your feet in the Eagles' front door.

How bout not having a #1 WR? How bout having a coach that wants to pass 70% of the time? How bout run stoppers? How bout probably losing Runyon and not having a replacement? How bout your QB who can't lead the locker room? I think #2 TE is not such a big deal right now for them.

We had plenty of success for 4 years without a number one wideout. We need to upgrade the overall talent level there, but we don't need an All-Pro.

Let's hope AR becomes a little bit more reasonable in his offensive philosophy. Either way, that isn't something that can be addressed in free agency, thus it is completely irrelevant as a response to Westy's point.

We need some help on the D- Line. We also needed another TE. Luckily, we aren't forced to sign only one player. We can sign Schobel and, somehow, I think we'll be able to address the D-Line also.

We'll see what happens with Runyan. I don't think Herremans would be a major problem as his replacement.

Donovan McNabb is everything you wish Jason Campbell develops into.

Does it make you feel good to write out a subjective laundry list of criticisms?

Any fan from any team could do that for any other team in the NFL.

I don't really want to defend the Eagles right now, because I'm pretty dissapointed. But your statement could be tweaked very little to read as an endorsement of the Eagles' FO.

"Bottom line for me. The Eagles targeted Bentely as their #1 move, and despite ample cap space, they decided against offering him a contract to come to Philly once his price tag rose above the area they had set as his value. To me, that's a smart and reasonable organization.

Not saying that's how I feel. Just putting it out there.

I tend to agree with that. Even though I feel OL is the most important unit to a winning team, that is HUGE contract for a center. I don't care how good he is, or if he can also play G, that is LT money. Just b/c you have a ton of cap space doesn't mean you go out and carelessly spend it. I think the Eagles would have been crazy to top that offer.

We had plenty of success for 4 years without a number one wideout. We need to upgrade the overall talent level there, but we don't need an All-Pro.

Let's hope AR becomes a little bit more reasonable in his offensive philosophy. Either way, that isn't something that can be addressed in free agency, thus it is completely irrelevant as a response to Westy's point.

We need some help on the D- Line. We also needed another TE. Luckily, we aren't forced to sign only one player. We can sign Schobel and, somehow, I think we'll be able to address the D-Line also.

We'll see what happens with Runyan. I don't think Herremans would be a major problem as his replacement.

Donovan McNabb is everything you wish Jason Campbell develops into.

Does it make you feel good to write out a subjective laundry list of criticisms?

Any fan from any team could do that for any other team in the NFL.

Yes, it does make me happy to slam the Eagles. I live in Philly, put up with the E-A-G-L-E-S nonsense 365 days a week. The fans are, WIDELY, scumbags. Not all, but ALOT ! The Eagles and their arrogant front office are destined to crash and burn. WINDOW SHUT !

HTTR

Yes, it does make me happy to slam the Eagles. I live in Philly, put up with the E-A-G-L-E-S nonsense 365 days a week. The fans are, WIDELY, scumbags. Not all, but ALOT ! The Eagles and their arrogant front office are destined to crash and burn. WINDOW SHUT !

HTTR

I live in Redskins country. It may shock you to hear this, but I feel precisely the same way about Redskins fans.

I think you would recieve a relatively similar sentiment from every fan living in a rival's area.

I could make just as silly and asenine list about the Skins' problems. It wouldn't make them true.

I live in Redskins country. It may shock you to hear this, but I feel precisely the same way about Redskins fans.

I think you would recieve a relatively similar sentiment from every fan living in a rival's area.

I could make just as silly and asenine list about the Skins' problems. It wouldn't make them true.

Certainly, you are wrong. Our rival is Dallas. The Eagles are merely fodder.

The difference is: I am on a Redskins message board, and that's what we do. You on the other hand, SHOULD be on the Eagles message board. Have a great day :)

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

Certainly, you are wrong. Our rival is Dallas. The Eagles are merely fodder.

The difference is: I am on a Redskins message board, and that's what we do. You on the other hand, SHOULD be on the Eagles message board. Have a great day :)

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

Rival is a relative term. By my usage, I mean simply a team that competes with my team.

For instance, by this definition the Eagles' rivals include Dallas, NY, Wash, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Green Bay, etc.

You really did sting me by saying we aren't your rival. I'm not tapped into the NFL well enough to understand these sorts of things, I'm glad you're around to lead me in the right direction.

I'm on the Eagles Message Board right now. The Around the NFL section is a 24 hour pissing contest with Giants fans, here its a little bit more "Around the NFL."

The important thing here, philthy fans, is that your running out of time. Talk all you want about being financialy responsible. The bottom line is that the free agency period is comming to a close real quick and your available top FA's are being signed by other teams. You end up getting left with players that nobody really wanted.

Look on the bright side though, you still have the rights to Terrell Owens!

Rival is a relative term. By my usage, I mean simply a team that competes with my team.

For instance, by this definition the Eagles' rivals include Dallas, NY, Wash, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Green Bay, etc.

You really did sting me by saying we aren't your rival. I'm not tapped into the NFL well enough to understand these sorts of things, I'm glad you're around to lead me in the right direction.

I'm on the Eagles Message Board right now. The Around the NFL section is a 24 hour pissing contest with Giants fans, here its a little bit more "Around the NFL."

I guess my real problem is that the Eagles fans here (as in this message board) are trying to justify the organization's failures. If I were an Eagles fan, I WOULD BE PISSED !! I wouldn't be trying to make logic of these outright failures. The Eagles brag about "Being the Gold Standard in the NFL" and about being "Cap Geniuses" and yet, you have all this money and nobody wants to play in your town. I'll take a pound of silver.

HTTR

I guess my real problem is that the Eagles fans here (as in this message board) are trying to justify the organization's failures. If I were an Eagles fan, I WOULD BE PISSED !! I wouldn't be trying to make logic of these outright failures. The Eagles brag about "Being the Gold Standard in the NFL" and about being "Cap Geniuses" and yet, you have all this money and nobody wants to play in your town. I'll take a pound of silver.

HTTR

I don't remember justifying anything.

I am pissed.

Not signing Bentley was a failure.

Watch the LeCharles Bentley press conference here: http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/

The guy said he was praying the Browns would call him and they finally did. When they did, his mind was made up.

He said he was taking offers to see what his options were but once the Browns called, it was a done deal.

Is this evidence that Eagles fans are "justifying" the failure of not signing Bentley? That is from Westbrook36, earlier today. Give me a break, money talks in the NFL ... the Eagles blew it.

I certainly didn't say that YOU, personally, were justifying every blunder; in fact, I said "Eagles fans on this message board" were doing it.

Enough of the Eagles --- how bout them Skins signing Lloyd ? Lloyd and Moss and Cooley and Portis ... YAHOO !!

HTTR

Watch the LeCharles Bentley press conference here: http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/

The guy said he was praying the Browns would call him and they finally did. When they did, his mind was made up.

He said he was taking offers to see what his options were but once the Browns called, it was a done deal.

Is this evidence that Eagles fans are "justifying" the failure of not signing Bentley? That is from Westbrook36, earlier today. Give me a break, money talks in the NFL ... the Eagles blew it.

I certainly didn't say that YOU, personally, were justifying every blunder; in fact, I said "Eagles fans on this message board" were doing it.

Enough of the Eagles --- how bout them Skins signing Lloyd ? Lloyd and Moss and Cooley and Portis ... YAHOO !!

HTTR

Lloyd is a slight upgrade over Patten. Nothing ground breaking.

Free agency is young though. I'm sure both the Eagles and Skins have a lot more improving to do.

Archived