Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dirk Diggler's fearless Free Agent forecast complete with scouting reports

Dirk Diggler

DE Andre Carter San Francisco

(6-4, 265)

Notes: Son of former University of Miami (Fla.) and Denver Broncos standout nose tackle Rubin Carter.

Positives: Very dedicated and determined. Extremely coachable. Known for his character and never-say-die attitude. Fundamentally sound. Excellent leverage player with ever-improving strength and power. Plays the run very well at both end slots. Has long arms, excellent balance and good functional football strength. Has spent most of his college career lining up on the strong side. Is not just a one-trick pony. Has double and even triple moves he can use when he needs them. Does a good job of coming off blocks and rushing the passer. Excellent athlete. Runs well. Very agile. Can jump like an NBA small forward. Has a closing burst to the ball.

Negatives: Undersized for an every-down NFL defensive end. Might be almost too disciplined and assignment-oriented and is very reluctant to freelance, even when he has a chance to make a big play. Is not a great pass rusher. Had a tough time with Illinois’ young right tackle, Tony Pashos, in 2000.

Summary: Top-flight defensive end who may be able to come right in and start as a rookie. Is well worth a first-round draft pick despite his lack of great weight and bulk.

S Adam Archuleta St. Louis

(6-0, 220)

Positives: Terrific football player with a great motor. All-time competitor. Flies around and makes plays all over the field. Tenacious, active and very determined. Very instinctive and aware. Reads and anticipates extremely well. Seems to be going in the right direction as the ball is snapped. Showed he could play safety at the Senior Bowl. Should be a top special-teams player while he learns the finer points of playing safety. Very strong for his size.

Negatives: Does not have the size or growth potential to ever be an every-down linebacker in the NFL. Will be moved to safety and does not have much experience there. Does not have the speed or athleticism Darren Woodson (ASU linebacker who the Cowboys picked as a strong safety in ’92) had when he came out of college. May have to play close to the line of scrimmage to be effective as a strong safety.

Summary: Two former undersized ASU linebackers, Woodson and the Cardinals’ Pat Tillman, are starting safeties in the NFL, and Archuleta may have been the best college football player of the trio. He does not have Woodson’s size or ability, but he is a better athlete and faster than Tillman.

P Dave Zastudil Baltimore

(6-4, 222)

Positives: Reverse spin on left-footed kicks is harder to hold for some return men, who are used to right-footed kickers. Has a very strong leg. Is normally a 2- to 2 1/2-step kicker who can get the ball off quickly. Looks smooth punting and can get both distance and hang time. Catches the ball cleanly and also holds for placekicking. Hard worker, solid student and team captain. Not a flaky kicker.

Negatives: Can be a little inconsistent and can be inconsistent with his techniques. Is not a great directional kicker and will struggle at times when he tries to direct his kicks instead of just kicking long down the middle. Has some line-drive kicks where he outkicks his coverage and positions the opposition for a big return.

Summary: Best kicker to come out of the MAC since Ball State’s Brad Maynard, who is now with the Bears but was drafted in the third round in 1997 by the Giants.

MLB Rob Morris Indy

(6-2, 245)

Positives: Dominating player in college. Seems to fly to the ball. Closes so fast on the ball you would think he has 4.4 speed vs. the run. Has a great short-area burst. Explosive quickness. Always seems to be around the ball. Has great instincts and tremendous anticipation. Very active and aggressive. Takes good angles to the ball. Physically strong and also has natural snap and explosion. Has improved his weakest area, playing the pass, and is doing a better job of taking blockers on.

Negatives: Slightly overaged. Turned 25 in January. Has had some injury problems and surgery on both shoulders. NFL team physicals may play a part in how high he is drafted. Does not always do a good job of taking on big blockers. Doesn’t always show great athleticism, range and change of direction in coverage. Will miss a few tackles and does not always come under control when tackling. At times will go for the kill and miss instead of just tackling the man.

Summary: The best college middle/inside linebacker I have seen in the past three years. Should be an excellent pro if he is healthy and used correctly.

TE Dan Campbell Dallas

(6-5, 265)

Positives: Nice, big target. Has the size to be an in-line, blocking tight end. A tough player with adequate speed and quickness. Surprisingly athletic. Pretty agile and light on his feet. Has stretches when he catches the ball well. Came on late in his senior year.

Negatives: Has had periods when he’s had difficulty hanging on to the ball. Seems to have small hands and short arms for a player his size. Is not a dominating blocker. Has not been used much in the passing game.

Summary: Could wind up being a better NFL tight end than collegiate.

Gary Stills Kansas City

(6-2, 250) Special Teams

Positives: Excellent blitzer and pass rusher. Explosive getting off the line. Has great upfield quickness and a closing burst. Plays with leverage. Loves to play and is reckless with his body. Relentless. Goes hard every play. Can be an impact player.

Negatives: Average size. May play too recklessly. As a result, is out of control too often, misses tackles and gets hurt a lot. Is not a very disciplined player. Has rarely done much in pass coverage. Overaged. Born in July 1974. Will be a 25-year-old rookie in 1999.

Summary: Can be an impact rusher in the right situation and scheme but must learn to play with more discipline and do a better job of staying healthy and under control.

OT-OG Jordan Black Kansas City

(6-5, 305)

Positives: Has good but not great size. Has long arms to redirect in the passing game. Decent speed, athletic ability and quickness. Also has initial quickness to get off the ball and into position. Plays low and gets good leverage consistently. Will adjust on the move, set his feet and slide. Sinks his hips to anchor and shows good technique. Is smart and aware. Can play tackle or guard. Has good strength and bulk and excels in the running game.

Negatives: Isn't a power blocker. Isn't a power blocker and lacks upper body strength. Will look clumsy at times. Is simply an average worker with questionable character. Not an NFL-caliber left tackle.

Summary: A right tackle or guard prospect who is not a great athlete and struggles some in pass protection but could go early on the 2nd day.

WR Josh Reed Buffalo

(5-10, 210)

Positives: Terrific athlete with superior balance and body control. Can cut on a dime and does a great job of getting into and out of his breaks. Built like a heavy-duty running back and breaks more tackles after the catch than any college wide receiver I have seen in years. Also has natural running instincts and vision. Catches the ball well and has been superproductive. Has improved by leaps and bounds ever since he moved to receiver. Was the most productive receiver in the country last season, leading the nation in receiving yardage, yards gained after the catch and yards gained after breaking at least one tackle. Had 586 yards after the catch during the 2001 regular season.

Negatives: Lacks great pure speed. Not very experienced. Is still learning the finer points of playing the position, such as reading coverages and running and setting up his routes.

Summary: A unique receiver who breaks more tackles than a top runner and can cut on a dime. Has tremendous strength and balance and refuses to be tackled at times.

CB Denard Walker Oakland

(6-1, 190)

Summary: Big, physical player who is effective in bump and run. 33 years old when season starts.

*Should Eric Moulds get cut, we will most likely look into signing him.

Also could consider:

DT Ron Edwards, WR Sam Aiken, DB Dante Wesley, OG Kevin Barry, DE Carlos Hall, TE Mark Campbell

Scouting reports provided by http://archive.profootballweekly.com/

Interesting.. I agree w/ Andre Carter, and a couple of your depth positons seem good too. I don't know about the WR,TE, or MLB though. I've been thinking Archuleta is a growing possibilty as we have not yet resigned Clark, and we should have by now. I would still prefer Clark to stay here. I love the fact you mentioned a punter. I stated on another thread before that was a position we needed to address, especially now that Tupa has been cut. Zastudil would be great to have here.

i'm not real big on rob morris, the guy didnt even start in Indy, but I guess we are getting him for depth, not to start.

Morris is a guy who was injured his first two seasons in Indy and then the Tony Dungy show started. He could never be the supermobile MLB that Dungy's D calls for (think Urlacher) so he was passed over.

Morris is an old-school, 2 down run stuffing MLB. He never fit the Tampa-2 but he was such a great team player that he sucked it up and helped out wherever he could - mostly on special teams.

I envision us moving Marshall to the weakside and having Morris compete with McCune and Campbell.

Positives on Campbell should include great locker room presence and great character guy.

But methinks he'll be in New Orleans by this time tomorrow.

Campbell is a pretty solid TE, was suprised that the NYG let him go and even more suprised that Dallas is as well. But he's no Witten, so I'm sure Dallas isn't too worried.

Campbell is a better blocking TE than a catching TE.

Campbell is a pretty solid TE, was suprised that the NYG let him go and even more suprised that Dallas is as well. But he's no Witten, so I'm sure Dallas isn't too worried.

With the plethora of Tight Ends in the draft, I think Dallas would like to go that route and not have to invest that much in the Tight End spot.

Theyll be extending Witten pretty soon, and thats going to cost a pretty penny.

Drafting a nice TE in the 3rd or 4th round will do just nicely.

Parcells has a knack for finding great TEs.

I like Rob Morris, Carter and Zastudil. Rob Morris seems like a Neal Olkewicz type. Not the greatest pure athlete, but a solid, hard-nosed football player. Carter sounds like our type of defenseman, in that he's "almost too disciplined." GW would love that!

Andre Carter - would be a real good acquisition and cheaper then Howard or

John Abraham

Adam Archuleta - good player, but do we need him if we re-sign Ryan Clark which is supposedly happening?

Dave Zastudil - had a breakout year in 2005, certainly better then what we have.

Rob Morris, mlb - No way. Morris was cut last year by Indy and no one even gave him a wiff. He later re-signed with Indy for the minimum. He has been a 1st round bust.

Dan Campbell, te - good solid blocker, not much of a pass threat. We dont need any more blockers. What we need is a pass catching threat, like Jeb Putzier.

Gary Stills, de - Was a Pro Bowl special teamer a couple years ago. But is now 31 or so, and if Kansas City released him, he probably doesn't have it any more.

Jordan Black, t - Is a RFA and I dont know what amount he was tendered. If the minimum he would cost us a 5th round draft pick, assuming KC didn't match our offer.

Josh Reed, wr - He's been a bust so far. If we bring in 2 quality WR's as reported, Reed wouldnt be able to make our roster, so why bother?

Dennard Walker, cb-s - No way. He's 33 now and as terrible as the Raiders were last year on defense, they dont want him back.

:read: There you have it. My invoice will be in the mail. :laugh:

Campbell is not supposed to be Jason Witten. He's a pure blocking TE who might catch 25-30 passes in a season. If he's healthy, he's probably one of the 5 best blockers at his position.

Campbell is not supposed to be Jason Witten. He's a pure blocking TE who might catch 25-30 passes in a season. If he's healthy, he's probably one of the 5 best blockers at his position.

Big IF.

And Parcells is pretty high on this kid named Sean Ryan who is an excellent blocking TE.

But mark is down, Dallas is drafting a quality TE in the draft.

All a part of the plan.

Zastudil didnt last too long.

Browns | Team wastes no time in signing Zastudil

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:14:28 -0800

Zac Jackson, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports the Cleveland Browns wasted no time in free agency by signing free agent P Dave Zastudil (Ravens) to an undisclosed contract.

Archived