Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo News: Record Set for Hottest Temperature on Earth: 3.6 Billion Degrees in Lab

Prosperity

The news release on the Sandia website does a much better job than the Yahoo piece. It also explains the physics in a little more detail for those who are curious.

http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news-releases/2006/physics-astron/hottest-z-output.html

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. :)

What practical implications could this have?

That's the problem with these science articles in the news they never really explain anything.

Was this in a journal, if so you can get the all the information for it.

The reason why this is important is now they can create the temp of the sun and study it from a distance :) The energy producing thing is also very important.

What practical implications could this have?

There are two primary applications, both extremely important and related to nuclear fusion:

(1) if you can create plasmas with sufficient energy so that the positively charged ions can overcome their natural repulsion (i.e. atomic nuclei repel each other because they are both positively charged) the nuclei fuse together to form heavier nuclei and excess energy is released. If we can create these reactions in a sustainable and efficient way, we don't need to worry about fossil fuels anymore because the excess energy released is enormous.

(2) creating very small scale fusion reactions such as these also allows study of what goes on inside a thermonuclear warhead, and validate computer modelling, so that the existing stock can be maintained or replacements developed without the necessity of exploding warheads which would violate the current treaties.

Through a better understanding of the physics involved, other applications may appear. It will also help us better understand what we see in some astronomical phenomena.

What would ever posess someone to create a Z-machine?

I just think that thing is a mass of twisted metal and wires that when you press a button some lights come on and there is this huge hum and then it stops. The scientists are telling you that the created this atstonomical temperature that could very well ignite the Earth's atmosphere when all that happen was lights and a hum.

What would ever posess someone to create a Z-machine?

I just think that thing is a mass of twisted metal and wires that when you press a button some lights come on and there is this huge hum and then it stops. The scientists are telling you that the created this atstonomical temperature that could very well ignite the Earth's atmosphere when all that happen was lights and a hum.

Guess again.

If you're skeptical, I'm sure they'll let you show up with your x-ray spectrometer and measure the energy distribution of the emitted radiation, and confirm what they're saying.

I'll let you borrow my spectrometer if you'd like :D

And it's still not as hot as Hell :(

Not true.

Revelations 21:8 talks about a lake of liquid brimstone (sulphur) so the temperature of Hell must be below 445 Centigrade (boiling point of Sulphur/Brimstone) which is much, much cooler than the Z-machine generated plasma temperatures.

Now if Hell is operating at atmospheric pressure, we can prove (using Isiah 30:26 and the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth power law for radiation) that Heaven is actually hotter than hell, but given all the lost souls crammed in Hell in the limited space, the assumption of atmospheric pressure probably is not valid.

;)

Now if Hell is operating at atmospheric pressure, we can prove (using Isiah 30:26 and the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth power law for radiation) that Heaven is actually hotter than hell.

;)

For those who don't get the reference, like me :):

Isaiah 30:26

Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Not true.

Revelations 21:8 talks about a lake of liquid brimstone (sulphur) so the temperature of Hell must be below 445 Centigrade (boiling point of Sulphur/Brimstone) which is much, much cooler than the Z-machine generated plasma temperatures.

Now if Hell is operating at atmospheric pressure, we can prove (using Isiah 30:26 and the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth power law for radiation) that Heaven is actually hotter than hell, but given all the lost souls crammed in Hell in the limited space, the assumption of atmospheric pressure probably is not valid.

;)

wow

For those who don't get the reference, like me :):

Thanks ... :D

This passage together with the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth power law for radiation allows us to calculate a temperature for Heaven of 525 °C, or about 80 degrees (Centigrade) hotter than Hell.

As I said in the previous post, the atmospheric pressure in Hell, from squeezing in all the lost souls such as myself, ;) would increase the temperature where sulphur boiled to where Hell would be a just little hotter than Heaven.

Archived