Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3-3-5 standard base package for D?

skinfan2k

The 3-3-5 is a college defense. It allows teams to put more athletes on the field and leverage the great athletic difference one team might have over another. It would never work in the NFL because the teams are too evenly matched. If any team ran a 3-3-5 as their BASE defense they would give up 300 a game rushing. Teams would load up on fullback and tight end packages and smash the 3-3-5 off the line and then with downfield blocks. So no.

Wow, been playing much Madden lately??? :silly: Seriously though, unlike in Madden, 3-3-5, 1-5-5, ect do not magically stop 1 and 2 WR set runs.

acutally i have not played madden since thanksgiving. i honestly dont like playing madden, as i grow up, it seems only fun for a while, but the aspect of the game seems dull to me even though im a die hard football fan. i like sportsgames like live, winning eleven and baseball

the only way a 3-3-5 could be a standard defense is if you play 2 free safeties and one of them plays around the line of scrimmage the whole time which essentially makes him a LB. it would be too easy to run on a team that plays a 3-3-5.

With a 3-3-5 as the base, you'd get KILLED on draw plays.

You'd have to play a safety up at the line to keep them from running up the gut every single down, essentially making it a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. On a draw, that safety would just drop into coverage - 8 easy yards.

this defense is very similar to the 3-4, but how come teams dont use more d-lineman the size of washington. i mean, lets put the 3 lineman the size of washington on the LOS and make the quarterback beat u with 8 guys behind.

Thing is there simply are not that many guys like Ted Washington. Getting three on one team would cost a boatload of money because they are rare. It could possibly work with the personnel you mentioned, I doubt it personally, but it's possible. Main thing though is availability of personnel to pull it off.

A 3-3-5 would be crushed in rushing situations. For us, wed be giving up a DT for a CB. Better for the passing game, yes(but not for putting pressure on the QB), but in the NFL, running the football effectively is what the best teams do(and they would love to pound it down your throat), so we would be putting ourselves at a huge competitive disadvantage. I dont think any team will ever have a 3-3-5 as a base defense in the NFL.

Archived