Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles outspent Skins by 14m from 01-04

Westbrook36

What is your favorite Star Wars film?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Star Wars film?

• Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    • Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    • Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    • Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    • I don't like any of these ****ty movies

What a bunch of non-sense...

WB, really...what about LTBE...where is that in these numbers? If the Skins and Philly are so close in spending, then how in the world is Philly so far under the cap? Answer: The money never really gets spent! :doh:

Look, WB, I'm willing to pay you $1 million dollars if you can post 6000 posts in one day, with an average word count of 5000 words of which 20% can never be repeated in any other post...if you can't do it, I'll pay you a nickel.

Ok, what's the value of this contract?

Oh, and if you don't do it, I get to keep the $1 million less 5 cents and am allowed to spend this $1 million next year, while my rival who has paid his player $1 million in cash, cannot.

Does this make sense, or do I break out the crayons?

I think the Forbes numbers are better.

And considering the Eagles went to the playoffs five years in a row, it isn't beyond the comprehension of most people that the players would get more money in salary for extra post season games. :doh:

Ask players around the league if they want to go to Philly for a pay day or go to the Redskins for a pay day.

Stop posting misleading information.

It's funny that when confronted with information that blows up your entire world, you start flailing wildly and grasping for straws.

Sorry, but none of the numbers posted were LBTE incentives.....they are actual monies paid out.....which Lurie paid out more during a four year period then Snyder.

Is USA Today a valid source around here? Or are they in on this elaborate ruse?

He's an Eagles fan, did he have any to begin with?

Aside from that, from everything I have read, we aren't pushing money back, we are actually giving them bonuses now, today, which are paid now, but can be pro-rated throughout the life of the contract. If I'm a player, I'm jumping on that. That's opposed to the Eagles way of rarely extending a contract, and never once a player passes 30. Nice loyalty.

So let's review. The Skins re-negotiate the contract, ensuring the players get paid more now. The Eagles will draft you, run your rookie contract contract to the end, then refuse to extend you because the extension will put you on the wrong side of 30. Which sounds worse again?

Eagles have the highest rate of second contracts for drafted players in the NFL. Whooopps, there goes your entire post down the drain.

We aren't pushing money back.

Basically here is what we do.....

Lets say you're making $1000 a month at your job and you're do a bonus at the end of the month for $5000 as long as you're still employed.

Well your boss comes up to you and says, "Hey, money's tight right now. I can't guarantee you being employed here by the end of the month to get your $5000, but what I can do is guarantee you get $1000 for the next 6 months, whether you're employed here or not."

Portis just had 3 years cut off his contract which totaled over 20 million dollars. That is money that he will never see if the restructure goes through.

I remember reading how he signed a 50 million dollar contract a few years ago. Who would have known that Snyder had no intention of actually giving Portis that money.

Shame on Dan Snyder.

Sorry this is another joke, "pay attention to the Eagles" thread, which has been blasted out of the water

The LBTE, yup, account for that, and account how much CASH was actually spent and we will see the numbers

Oh yay, Forbes did it for us.

Philadelphia Eagles 2001-2005 Salary Cap Champions!

Understand what you are talking about before trying to mislead people. Salary has nothing to do with LBTE. The cap and salary are not dependant on each other. This is football 101 stuff, guys. It's not really that hard.

Westbrook36,

The USA Today player expenses and the Forbes player expenses don't agree. Even if they did you are cherry picking the years you look at. You pick years when we had Marty running the show, he should work for Lurie they would love each other. Cheap! Also those years you signed McNabb and Kearse and TO, their signing bonuses inflated your cap number those years.

Just face it, the Eagles have low balled every vet up for a contract but Mcnabb.

I think to determine the spending levels of teams you have to look at a longer period of time. Looking at small select sample of years is not a way to determine long term spending habits.

Face it Lurie is Ebenezer Scrooge. :D

I'll admit the Skins have won 3 Superbowls (even though 2 came during asterisk seasons) if you admit the Eagles aren't cheap.

Deal?

Am I missing something? Didn't the Eagles play in those asterisk seasons? Couldn't even do it then huh? That's lame.

Portis just had 3 years cut off his contract which totaled over 20 million dollars. That is money that he will never see if the restructure goes through.

I remember reading how he signed a 50 million dollar contract a few years ago. Who would have known that Snyder had no intention of actually giving Portis that money.

Shame on Dan Snyder.

that was also written into his contract In this scenario.

If they actually want to see that payday they'll go with the Eagles. If they want to be asked to rework their contract every season and have the money pushed back 4 - 5 years down the road then they'll sign with the Skins. It's quite disgusting that Brunell was asked to rework his contract when he was clearly your offensive MVP. "Mark please bail us out again, we just can't seem to do anything right financially" says Gibbs and his band of misfits.

WXD -- please do a little research on the salary cap before you post again. Thanks. The money that gets "pushed back" as you so like to say, still goes to the player. Its the cap hit that gets "pushed back," not the money. :doh:

jrock, I have to speak slowly to you as I honestly think your football comprehension is a step behind but....

you do realize how much a team spends per year is different then their cap number, correct?

:blahblah:

Don't patronize me, WB. Just continue contradicting yourself in every legitimate football discussion you have, and we'll be fine.

Eagles 2001-2005 SALARY CAP CHAMPIONS!! FLY EAGLES FLY!!!

Shame on Dan Snyder.

WB -- if you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd know that this is standard practice in the NFL. Sign guys to a long contract, and when they hit year 4 or so, redo the deal or cut them. Most players never see the last few years of their contracts.

Do a little research before you post...go and find out how many 7+ year contracts have actually been played through. I'm willing to bet you'd find little to none of them have been.

Don't patronize me, WB. Just continue contradicting yourself in every legitimate football discussion you have, and we'll be fine.

Eagles 2001-2005 SALARY CAP CHAMPIONS!! FLY EAGLES FLY!!!

Again, you mix up salary cap when we are talking about salaries. What is your phone number? I bet I can explain it to you on the phone in about 30 seconds so even you could understand.

Again, you mix up salary cap when we are talking about salaries. What is your phone number? I bet I can explain it to you on the phone in about 30 seconds so even you could understand.

:rolleyes:

Serioulsy, WB, keep defending your tactics with subtle personal insults. It makes your case stronger, really!!

FLY EAGLES FLY!! 2001-2005 SALARY CAP CHAMPIONS!!!

EDIT: And I see when you're wrong, you simply ignore the post that proves it:

WB -- if you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd know that this is standard practice in the NFL. Sign guys to a long contract, and when they hit year 4 or so, redo the deal or cut them. Most players never see the last few years of their contracts.

Do a little research before you post...go and find out how many 7+ year contracts have actually been played through. I'm willing to bet you'd find little to none of them have been.

It's funny that when confronted with information that blows up your entire world, you start flailing wildly and grasping for straws.

Sorry, but none of the numbers posted were LBTE incentives.....they are actual monies paid out.....which Lurie paid out more during a four year period then Snyder.

Is USA Today a valid source around here? Or are they in on this elaborate ruse?

Where does it say LTBEs weren't included :doh: .

Stop making things up.

Again, if LTBEs weren't part of this, the Eagles wouldn't have cap room :doh: .

Really dumb, WB...

Here, WB, you forgot to post the methodology...I can see why.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

Oh, and did I forget to say, the Eagles are CHEAP...ask their players.

USA TODAY's football salaries database contains year-by-year listings of salaries for National Football League players, from the 2000 season through the most recently-completed season. The search options here allow you to see salaries and bonuses for specific players, plus median and total salaries for each team.

The data are based on USA TODAY research, information from player agents and NFL Players Association research documents.

For each player, the database shows his base salary, signing bonus, other bonuses and cap value. The base salary is the value according to his contract; however, he may not have received the entire amount. The column labeled "salary" is the actual amount he received in base salary and bonuses combined.

All players receive a minimum base salary. For players whose base salary is listed as $0, their actual base salary was rolled into a bonus.

Starting with the 2001 season, signing bonuses are listed in entirety only for the year the contract was signed. In prior years, the bonus is pro-rated over the life of the contract. As a result, a player's total salary can fluctuate extensively from one year to the next.

The column labeled "Other Bonuses" includes roster, report, workout and other bonuses, plus any likely-to-be-earned bonuses.

[Edit: LTBE is where the Eagles build cap....that's what makes this 'study' bogus...a ton of that money never makes it to the player]

The cap value represents the player's pro-rated signing bonus, plus salary and other bonuses for the season.

Team payroll totals, which include base salaries and bonuses, are approximate figures and may not include short-term and practice squad players. It does not include money allocated against the cap for players no longer with the team.

The column labeled "Other Bonuses" includes roster, report, workout and other bonuses, plus any likely-to-be-earned bonuses.

[Edit: LTBE is where the Eagles build cap....that's what makes this 'study' bogus...a ton of that money never makes it to the player]

The cap value represents the player's pro-rated signing bonus, plus salary and other bonuses for the season.

Team payroll totals, which include base salaries and bonuses, are approximate figures and may not include short-term and practice squad players. It does not include money allocated against the cap for players no longer with the team.

Which is why the Forbes #'s are more correct.

I agree. Snyder does a great job at making money via Skins fans through extortionary means. Seats behind pillars, not being able to walk to the Stadium, etc.

Um, I walked to the Stadium for the Chargers game just last season...???

I'll admit the Skins have won 3 Superbowls (even though 2 came during asterisk seasons) if you admit the Eagles aren't cheap.

Deal?

Haha ok if thats how you want to come to terms with it by saying that the seasons were "asteriks". As someone already mentioned the Eagles played those seasons didn't they? So I guess they were just outcoached then.

Shame on Dan Snyder.

That deal hinges on no new CBA and details from the "credible" site known as PFT I believe. Unless this was reported elsewhere, in which case it still hinges on the CBA.

I don't understand where the 'classic own3ge'. I don't see these quotes. What I do see is a database that when I search by the team shows me this:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamresults.aspx?team=32

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamresults.aspx?team=24

And if I break out the calculator, add up the 5 years of payroll of each team (rounding to the nearest million), divide by 5 to get the average yearly payroll I get 74.8 million a year for the Redskins and 78.2 million for the Eagles.

Hey!! And I'll bet Eagles fans are thrilled! They have all those superbowl championships to show for it....oh...wait a minute...:laugh:

Funny how you have to go back 4 seasons. If you look at recent history, namely 03 and 04, the Skins outspent the Iggles by 20 million dollars. And remind me, WB, which team has had the more recent success? Hmmm?

how did I miss that gem

you bring up 03 and 04 when the eagles swept the skins, call that recent success, while mentioning that the skins apparently spent more in order to achieve less.... which team are you rooting for?

Deal?

There is nothing to admit - those 3 superbowls are in the record books and are fact :D

As to the Eagles being cheap - to be balanced I'm not sure it is fair to say they are. However you have been so close up to last season you HAVE to be wondering if splashing on one ot two more impact player (who are not certifiable head cases that is) might have put you over the top. No ?

HTTR

Martin

All this banter ignores the initial point of the thread:

"Lurie is cheap" accusations are clearly unfounded and silly.

We may not spend as much as the Skins. We may spend more. Depends on which numbers you accept. Regardless, we are close enough to one another, and are both far above and beyond 90% of NFL teams, that it's time to retire the silly idea that Lurie is cheap.

Archived