Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Negative emotions

AlexRS

Without negative emotions, you'd never enjoy the positive emotions. Actually, you can't have a positive without the negative, so you'd just be emotionless.

True, but only if rules of math apply to emotions.... right?

True, but only if rules of math apply to emotions.... right?

Think about it, if you're happy all of the time and never sad, do you think that you would enjoy the happiness? Would you know that you should be enjoying happiness?

Think about it, if you're happy all of the time and never sad, do you think that you would enjoy the happiness? Would you know that you should be enjoying happiness?

I see what you're saying - if happy was normal then there would be no happy - just normal.

But let's say that emotions are innate, which it looks like they are. We have them from birth, so by definition we already know what un-happy is like. Baby is born and smaked on the bottom - baby cries.

Emotions are important in the beginning - how else would a baby tell mother it's time to feed? Once we grow up though, do we still need them?

edit: by "them" i mean negative ones. What is stopping us from only leaving good ones?

This came up in another thread but I think it deserves a thread of it's own.

Why do we have negative emotions?

Do we need them?

If yes, what for?

If no, why cannot we get rid of them?

Cause then marriage would be no fun and there would be no makeup sex in relationships. :silly: :applause:

AMEN:laugh: :jk:

I just blame my daly issues on hate crimes.......

I'm out of milk again.........yep that's a hate crime too.......

out of milk is a hate crime?

Dude, just goto the store and buy a gallon or two...sheesh. no need to hate over it ;)

I see what you're saying - if happy was normal then there would be no happy - just normal.

But let's say that emotions are innate, which it looks like they are. We have them from birth, so by definition we already know what un-happy is like. Baby is born and smaked on the bottom - baby cries.

Emotions are important in the beginning - how else would a baby tell mother it's time to feed? Once we grow up though, do we still need them?

edit: by "them" i mean negative ones. What is stopping us from only leaving good ones?

Well, it is possible to only express positive emotions. I've met people who appear to be happy all of the time, whether or not they are, I don't know. I would think that if you only have positive emotions and not allow negative emotions even when bad things happen to you, that negativity is still there even if you don't express it. Without expressing it, it will just build up inside of you and eventually it will all just come out.

Well, it is possible to only express positive emotions. I've met people who appear to be happy all of the time, whether or not they are, I don't know. I would think that if you only have positive emotions and not allow negative emotions even when bad things happen to you, that negativity is still there even if you don't express it. Without expressing it, it will just build up inside of you and eventually it will all just come out.

Ala ned Flanders.

What makes you think the negativity is still there? What if they just "deal with it" really quickly, say in a matter of seconds??

What makes you think the negativity is still there? What if they just "deal with it" really quickly, say in a matter of seconds??

You know how "dealing with it" makes negative emotions go away. What if they practiced "dealing with it" and got really good at it?

You know how "dealing with it" makes negative emotions go away. What if they practiced "dealing with it" and got really good at it?

this is very possible. but first one has to "Own thier feelings". Most people run around blaming everyone and everything for thier unhappiness, anger,fear etc....."He pissed me off" is a good example. Nobody but you can piss you off.

But until we own our emotions how could we deside to be happy, content,

grateful, confident, secure, loved? When we depend on exterior cirmcustances to determine our feelings, we are duping ourselves into a believing in a false perception of our own reality.

this is very possible. but first one has to "Own thier feelings". Most people run around blaming everyone and everything for thier unhappiness, anger,fear etc....."He pissed me off" is a good example. Nobody but you can piss you off.

grateful, confident, secure, loved? When we depend on exterior cirmcustances to determine our feelings, we a duping ourselves into a believing in a false perception of our own reality.

:applause: :notworthy

grateful, confident, secure, loved? When we depend on exterior cirmcustances to determine our feelings, we a duping ourselves into a believing in a false perception of our own reality.

100% correct, great post.

I would venture a guess that 90% of the people in the US project their failures/fears/negative emotions on others in society, and they completely fail to look inside themselves to see why they feel this way. Until people come to grips with their own being, they will project the problems they have in their own character on others. The old cliche "Know Thyself" is really fitting.

In other words, I believe negative emotions are a manifestation of a weak ego, or not knowing who you are and are comfortable with yourself in society. Once this happens, the negative emotions start to diminish and cease to exist.

Archived