Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How lovely the Redskins are going to get bailed out at the 11th hour

glassJAw

Not so much. I actually did think the owners would get a deal done. Especially when the Redskins hadn't cut anyone yet.

I've been involved in some labor deals, and this stuff happens almost every time.

Besides, what owner wants to be part of the group that brought about the end of the salary cap, a thing that is making every single owner money?

So now they still have a chance.

It would have been interesting to see how they would have handled the start of FA with a 94.5 mil cap.

A deal will get done, and it will be good for everybody.

I'm not giving this troll any slack because he signed up just to rub salt in what he thought was an open wound.

He hasn't said anything of value. Seriously, check his posts.

Like you don't ever rub salt in the wound when the Eagles are down? Please. The fact of the matter is the Redskins are in cap hell and the Eagles are not. As of right now your team is screwed. No new CBA yet. But you knew the deal would get done, right?

Not so much. I actually did think the owners would get a deal done. Especially when the Redskins hadn't cut anyone yet.

I've been involved in some labor deals, and this stuff happens almost every time.

Besides, what owner wants to be part of the group that brought about the end of the salary cap, a thing that is making every single owner money?

So now they still have a chance.

It would have been interesting to see how they would have handled the start of FA with a 94.5 mil cap.

A deal will get done, and it will be good for everybody.

I'm not giving this troll any slack because he signed up just to rub salt in what he thought was an open wound.

He hasn't said anything of value. Seriously, check his posts.

I did, but with so many new faces over here, we have to start policing things ourselves. Have you looked over in the Stadium? Tarhog and them got the hands full as it is.

...your owner was looking for pennies on the floor trying to piece something together.

Nobody really knows that. If a CBA doesn't happen, it will be very interesting to see how thw Redskins get under the cap. Cerrato says they had a plan in place. Fact is we don't see the original language of the contract, so we don't know how much flexibility they had in shuffling the money around.

Like you don't ever rub salt in the wound when the Eagles are down? Please. The fact of the matter is the Redskins are in cap hell and the Eagles are not. As of right now your team is screwed. No new CBA yet. But you knew the deal would get done, right?

I rub salt, sure.

If there's no new deal after all, I'll admit I was wrong. Will you if a deal gets done? I doubt it.

And another difference is the our favorite teams owner hasn't been forced to scamble more than his QB in an attempt to save his franchise. While Lurie might be considered cheap, NO ONE can deny the fact that he was in good shape today while your owner was looking for pennies on the floor trying to piece something together.

Call him cheap, call him whatever you want, but Lurie and the Eagles FO were better prepared for this then the Skins were. Hell, the Redskins would probably sign me to a multi million dollar contract just to play armchair QB the way they've thrown money around.

The Redskins FO is not suprised by any of these situations or scenarios. And its just laughable to insinuate that Snyder was looking for pennies on the floor. For years there has been a sky is falling mentality about the Skins and their supposed cap hell. Yesterday we were the worst case scenario supposedly and yet I don't see any preemptive cuts like we saw from other teams that were over the cap.

Snyder made some mistakes in his first coupla years of ownership and Everyone ( non Redskin fans ) complain about Snyder but secretly they dream that their teams owner would approach business the same way.

:eaglesuck

I've noticed you can't say a lot around here. I guess that's part of the friendly community they got going around here.

As far as the cap goes I can't knock Snyder for spending up all his money. If you can buy your way to a championship then fine. But it doesn't seem fair to me that teams who have used their cap space wisely (and have stayed competitive doing so) have to wait even longer now. As far as I'm concerned I hope no new deal gets worked out and the Skins get whats coming to them.

Well I dont exactly have such a cold look towards other opinions especially other fans because I would be saying the same things to piss people off on their boards- if I ventured to them to post that is, which I dont.

Anyways I agree with you, we have not managed our money prefectly and yes we are being bailed out by circumstances that are generally unfortunate for the entire NFL. I wouldnt say we are buying our way to a championship these days as our spending on new players over the past few years has been a lot more careful and selective except and this is a big except, when we are dealing with any contracts made before Gibbs came back.

Way way way back 2 seasons ago to the time Dan arrived, yeah we were trying to buy a championship paying players we didnt need or that were past their prime a lot of money year after year (see: Deion Sanders) I think in a few years our cap situation will be a bit better as Dan is calming down on the outragous contracts for now. Again Coles was a cap hit however it was a problem left over from the spending days, Moss is worth every penny, Samuels was given his contract in the spending days, Portis already had a large contract coming, and Lavar's was from the spending days. I think that the current Redskins situation doesnt properly portray the new leadership's cap goals as they are still cleaning up the entangled mess that was the Steve Spurrier/Norv Turner/Martyball cap mistake.

With that said I am naturally glad that we are being bailed out, I do think it is unfair to teams that have taken the time to be responsable with their money for years but it isnt like Gibbs or the fans have anything to do with it.

I think if we were to win that supposedly "bought" championship this year it would be with one of these: * unfortunatly. Oh well.

Either way I would like to just state that mid range players, the regular roster fillers are getting more and more expensive lately. Players that suck and dont produce much like Taylor Jacobs make much more money than their worth and it seems to be the norm now, I wish either this could be changed which isnt going to happen or the salary cap system could be restructured which could happen.

I rub salt, sure.

If there's no new deal after all, I'll admit I was wrong. Will you if a deal gets done? I doubt it.

Mark it down dockeryfan and all else who are lurking. If a new deal gets done I will say I was wrong and even apologize to dockery himself.

Well I dont exactly have such a cold look towards other opinions especially other fans because I would be saying the same things to piss people off on their boards- if I ventured to them to post that is, which I dont.

Anyways I agree with you, we have not managed our money prefectly and yes we are being bailed out by circumstances that are generally unfortunate for the entire NFL. I wouldnt say we are buying our way to a championship these days as our spending on new players over the past few years has been a lot more careful and selective except and this is a big except, when we are dealing with any contracts made before Gibbs came back.

Way way way back 2 seasons ago to the time Dan arrived, yeah we were trying to buy a championship paying players we didnt need or that were past their prime a lot of money year after year (see: Deion Sanders) I think in a few years our cap situation will be a bit better as Dan is calming down on the outragous contracts for now. Again Coles was a cap hit however it was a problem left over from the spending days, Moss is worth every penny, Samuels was given his contract in the spending days, Portis already had a large contract coming, and Lavar's was from the spending days. I think that the current Redskins situation doesnt properly portray the new leadership's cap goals as they are still cleaning up the entangled mess that was the Steve Spurrier/Norv Turner/Martyball cap mistake.

With that said I am naturally glad that we are being bailed out, I do think it is unfair to teams that have taken the time to be responsable with their money for years but it isnt like Gibbs or the fans have anything to do with it.

I think if we were to win that supposedly "bought" championship this year it would be with one of these: * unfortunatly. Oh well.

Either way I would like to just state that mid range players, the regular roster fillers are getting more and more expensive lately. Players that suck and dont produce much like Taylor Jacobs make much more money than their worth and it seems to be the norm now, I wish either this could be changed which isnt going to happen or the salary cap system could be restructured which could happen.

I can live with this explanation. Like I said: I'm not going to knock a guy who has the money and willingness to buy the best players. If it works, it works. But the current system we're in now is set in place so that sort of thing doesn't happen.

I agree that it isn't fair to Gibbs. This is all new to him. But it is fair to Snyder. He made this bed so he and others (unfortunately) should have to lie in it.

The Redskins FO is not suprised by any of these situations or scenarios. And its just laughable to insinuate that Snyder was looking for pennies on the floor. For years there has been a sky is falling mentality about the Skins and their supposed cap hell. Yesterday we were the worst case scenario supposedly and yet I don't see any preemptive cuts like we saw from other teams that were over the cap.

Snyder made some mistakes in his first coupla years of ownership and Everyone ( non Redskin fans ) complain about Snyder but secretly they dream that their teams owner would approach business the same way.

:eaglesuck

Sorry to say but Philadelphia radio had the Skins already cutting Renaldo Wynn and Lemar Marshall. While the person was Eskin, he spoke volumes about the state of the league as far as who was in bad shape. The entire league is waiting for both the Redskins and the Raiders to have a firesale ala the Florida Marlins.

While people may secretly wish to have a owner like Daniel Synder, its situations like this that those same people loudly are grateful for the owner they have.

Question :

What happens when you morgage your future for a crack at returning to the greatness of your past?

Answer :

A messed up present! :(

From another Thread! Doesnt exactly sound like an owner searching for pennies!

Redskins Get Three-Day Reprieve

By Joseph White

Associated Press

Thursday, March 2, 2006; 6:19 PM

ASHBURN, Va. - The Washington Redskins worked to slash some $20 million from their payroll Thursday, then learned that austerity measures might not be necessary after all.

Those on the Redskins' cut list got a reprieve late in the day when the NFL announced that the start of free agency had been postponed for three days. Instead of a 10 p.m. Thursday deadline to get under the salary cap, teams now have until 6 p.m. Sunday.

The extra time gives the league and the players' union time to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement that would substantially raise the 2006 salary cap, thereby averting the major talent purge many teams were fearing.

Although the Redskins were well above the $94.5 million cap at the start of the day, the team's biggest names were not in danger of being released. An official within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity because the cuts were not announced, said the cuts would not have been as severe as expected because the team had considered the possibility of a breakdown in the agreement when negotiating player contracts over the last two years.

As the day progressed, the Redskins were able to make savings by renegotiating existing deals with cornerback Shawn Springs, running back Clinton Portis and others, the official said, leaving valuable veterans such as offensive linemen Jon Jansen and Randy Thomas and defensive linemen Renaldo Wynn and Phillip Daniels safe from the chopping block.

"As a player, you're about the team," Springs said. "You do the best you can do to help out the team."

Those on the prospective cut list included quarterback Patrick Ramsey, safety Matt Bowen, center Cory Raymer, defensive tackle Brandon Noble and cornerback Walt Harris, but most of those players were expected to be released regardless of the outcome of the collective bargaining agreement talks.

"The Redskins have done an excellent job of restructuring a number of contracts in anticipation of a deal (on the agreement) not being consummated," said agent Leigh Steinberg, who reworked quarterback Mark Brunell's deal earlier in the week.

The Redskins are hoping for a new agreement that would set a cap in the $105 million to $110 million range so they can again be aggressive in pursuing free agents. Coach Joe Gibbs is hoping to build off the franchise's first playoff appearance in six years by adding a receiver, a cornerback and a pass-rushing defensive lineman. Also, the team has several free agents it would like to keep: safety Ryan Clark and tight end Robert Royal are unrestricted, and guard Derrick Dockery is restricted.

The free agency period is now set to begin at 12:01 a.m. Monday.

If the Redskins can't be big players in free agency, it would buck an aggressive, big-spending trend established when owner Dan Snyder bought the team in 1999. However, if there is not a new agreement by Sunday, the 2007 season would have no salary cap at all, allowing Snyder to spend more or less at will.

The Redskins were able to renegotiate existing deals with Shawn Springs and Clinton Portis on Thursday even as the NFL pushes back the deadline for free agency by 72 hours.

Sorry to say but Philadelphia radio had the Skins already cutting Renaldo Wynn and Lemar Marshall. While the person was Eskin, he spoke volumes about the state of the league as far as who was in bad shape. The entire league is waiting for both the Redskins and the Raiders to have a firesale ala the Florida Marlins.

While people may secretly wish to have a owner like Daniel Synder, its situations like this that those same people loudly are grateful for the owner they have.

Question :

What happens when you morgage your future for a crack at returning to the greatness of your past?

Answer :

Eskin is about as up to date with the team as some of these Redskin fans.

We do have a bunch of players restructuring deals as we speak. WE aren't screwed yet.

Further more, YOU are the one who signed up simply to rub OUR noses in it. SO don't come in here all high and mighty telling US how it is. You are in our house. If you read the rules you will see that it is specifically stated that you are basically a guest in our house.

The way I see it, you can post with merit in these forums and people will respect you like we do WB36, Number5, Tomgiantsfan etc., or you can go the way of all the other trolls who simply sign up to piss us off.

It's your choice, but don't act like your **** don't stink.

We do have a bunch of players restructuring deals as we speak. WE aren't screwed yet.

Further more, YOU are the one who signed up simply to rub OUR noses in it. SO don't come in here all high and mighty telling US how it is. You are in our house. If you read the rules you will see that it is specifically stated that you are basically a guest in our house.

The way I see it, you can post with merit in these forums and people will respect you like we do WB36, Number5, Tomgiantsfan etc., or you can go the way of all the other trolls who simply sign up to piss us off.

It's your choice, but don't act like your **** don't stink.

I never claimed to be high and mighty. I never said my **** doesn't stink. Besides if you looked further into the thread you saw I would apologize to Dockery if a deal does get done.

Question :

Answer :

You heard this from Howard Eskin! Well then it must be true. I lived in Philly for years and know his bit.

As far as Past, Present and Future I know that the Redskins go 3-0 in that matchup with the Iggles!:eaglesuck

You heard this from Howard Eskin! Well then it must be true. I lived in Philly for years and know his bit.

As far as Past, Present and Future I know that the Redskins go 3-0 in that matchup with the Iggles!:eaglesuck

Gotta agree with this guy. Eskin sucks.

Yeah, Eskin sucks.....

But as far as 3-0, please explain.....I'm very curious to how you got that number.

What a stupid thread. :laugh:

But its soooooooooooo coooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Plus, its better cause tr1 isn't here with his spin control. God, maybe he should work for Bush...I heard that idiot is on video saying he knew about the Hurrican situation before it hit in NO.

Archived