Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Brunell Agrees to Restructure Contract(Merged)

PCRoughrider

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/01/AR2006030101963.html

After rejecting a proposal from the Washington Redskins on Friday night, starting quarterback Mark Brunell agreed Wednesday to a contract restructuring that would provide the team with about $1.8 million in salary cap relief should the NFL and NFL Players' Association fail to agree on a Collective Bargaining Agreement extension, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

I think mark was misunderstood when the whole "rejection" happened. He's all about helping his team in any way possible. I'm pretty sure the post is full of sh*t. Even Mark was upset about the article in todays paper.

The original article was headlined wrong. Steinberg wasn't rejecting overtures to restructure the contract, he was trying to get the best possible deal for his client. I can't believe that La Canfora was responsible for the headline, since his article in no way supported it.

The NFL Network might not have indicated the original rejection, but Steinberg corroborates it in the article.

Also, the article puts the cap at 96 million, and says the Redskins are about 20 million over. But John Clayton says the Redskins are about 17 million over the 92 million dollar cap. Which means the Redskins could be anywhere from 13 to 24 million over the cap. My head is starting to hurt...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/01/AR2006030101963.html

click link for full article

Brunell Agrees to Restructure Contract

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 2, 2006; Page E01

After rejecting a proposal from the Washington Redskins on Friday night, starting quarterback Mark Brunell agreed Wednesday to a contract restructuring that would provide the team with about $1.8 million in salary cap relief should the NFL and NFL Players' Association fail to agree on a Collective Bargaining Agreement extension, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Talks between Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg, and the Redskins continued through today, the source said, with the quarterback finalizing a contingency to help the Redskins' potential salary cap crisis should an extension not be reached.

"As the starting quarterback and leader of the team, Mark wanted to accommodate the Redskins," Steinberg said. "An initial proposal on Friday was not something we agreed to, and subsequent to that there were more discussions and we reached an accord."

Brunell is one of several players the Redskins have targeted for renegotiation. The team is continuing discussions with many agents in hopes of limiting their cap numbers and curtailing the need to release as many players from the roster to save cap space.

Funny, didn't Jason report JUST yesterday the two sides had no further discussions at all since Friday, where today he admits they were continuing discussions all along. Strange :).

hard to tell, that story isn't listed anymore on their site :laugh:

The Washington Redskins met with representatives for quarterback Mark Brunell over the weekend in an attempt to restructure his salary and create additional space under the salary cap by the NFL deadline on Friday.

Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg, rejected the team's proposal, sources said, and although the sides have not negotiated since, the Redskins could make another attempt to rework the contract before Friday.

luckily we have it in breaking news :)

What would we do around here for comic interludes without the Post? :laugh:

Best part is the key reason the Post didn't want us posting their articles is because they wanted to be able to hide their mistakes more easily and with our database they couldn't do so :).

Best part is the key reason the Post didn't want us posting their articles is because they wanted to be able to hide their mistakes more easily and with our database they couldn't do so :).

Dude Andyman was right! Who inside the Redskins organization is 16 years old with this kind of knowledge though? lol

All the brunell haters better start packing their bags. Not only did this guy lead us back to the playoffs, but he has now twice in as many years restructured his contract. I can't think of too many other starting pro-bowl level(he deserved it more than vick) qb's who would be so generous. Brunell for president 2008!:gaintsuck :applause:

All the brunell haters better start packing their bags. Not only did this guy lead us back to the playoffs, but he has now twice in as many years restructured his contract. I can't think of too many other starting pro-bowl level(he deserved it more than vick) qb's who would be so generous. Brunell for president 2008!:gaintsuck :applause:

What I love are the Cowboys fans who laugh at Brunell and think he's washed up, yet his statistics are comparable to Bledsoes with 7 less INTs and just as many TDs.

If we get through this, I think many teams will be stymied at the number of players willing to restructure. I think much of that has to do with the effect of Joe Gibbs on this team.

What I love are the Cowboys fans who laugh at Brunell and think he's washed up, yet his statistics are comparable to Bledsoes with 7 less INTs and just as many TDs.

If we get through this, I think many teams will be stymied at the number of players willing to restructure. I think much of that has to do with the effect of Joe Gibbs on this team.

Agreed but might I add one more incentive for being a Redskin: The fans!

Archived