Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How Would You Feel if Lavar Has to Go?

Jethrodsp

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I bought his jersey the day of his first game against SD. He has been my favorite player since we drafted him. I also have a great deal of admiration for what he does in the community. He and John Jansen are the only players I have seen since Gibbs I who have gone to bat for this franchise, guys who have displayed their pride in this city and organization. I like the way he plays football. He may not play well within the system but it is not because he doesn't want too. It is because he plays with his instinct. I also think he had a great year this year.

This year he played within the system but no one was satisfied, He had eleven tackles a FF and an INT in his first ever playoff game, but people only remember the offsides penalty.

Gregg Williams, Marcus Washington, Joe Salavea, Phillip Daniels and Shawn Springs are just a few players and personel who have gone to bat for Lavar. No teammate has ever uttered an ill word about Lavar, atleast that I have heard. It would be a very sad and painful day if he was no longer a Redskin.

"Could it be that the instability in the organization has played

a significant part in Arrington not reaching his potential?"

ya think? absolutely.

"No teammate has ever uttered an ill word about Lavar, atleast that I have heard."

finally.....someone mentions a critical point among all the gainsayers.

"Could it be that the instability in the organization has played

a significant part in Arrington not reaching his potential?"

ya think? absolutely.

"No teammate has ever uttered an ill word about Lavar, atleast that I have heard."

finally.....someone mentions a critical point among all the gainsayers.

Well no current teammate at least. It's kind of a rarity if your name isn't Terrell Owens. I do know some former teammates have had some not so kind words to express about the man child.

The instability has played a part yes. A significant part? Not if you have your head screwed on straight (Jon Jansen & Chris Samuels come to mind).

Well no current teammate at least. It's kind of a rarity if your name isn't Terrell Owens. I do know some former teammates have had some not so kind words to express about the man child.

The instability has played a part yes. A significant part? Not if you have your head screwed on straight (Jon Jansen & Chris Samuels come to mind).

That is how I feel too. It is not often players bash or even criticise their own teammates. As for instability, other LBs with the same amount of time in the system have improved/thrived (L.Marshall, A. Pierce).

Lavar didn't tear his ACL. The injury he had to his knee usually takes around 2-4 WEEKS to recover from not 2 years to fully recover. LINK

Here is an article where is notes that Lavar himself said he was 100% healthy. LINK I realize that he got hurt later in the year, but that had nothing to do with his knee injury.

Yea, and later in the year he said his knee injury was still a factor. At that time Lavar brought up the "No one in the NFL is 100%, I'm well enough to play." Well, our coaching staff didn't think so, and he sat on the bench until he showed he could play at a high level in practice.

And Lavar's knee is very bad. He had a mensiscus tear that required surgery to fix in 2004, later in the year MRI's showed a bone bruise when he was trying to rehab from his surgery. Bone bruises are tricky, and can take a couple weeks, months or a year to recover from. There are no real treatments that work all that well, the best treatment is rest.

As for the thread, it wouldn't bother me either way. He's staying because the cap hit is too high to outright release him and there's no way we'll be able to get fair value in a trade.

I would hate it if we lost Lavar. Yeah, he's probably overpaid and sometimes he puts his foot in his mouth, but man...I love the guy on the field.

(Plus I wouldnt have anything to do with my #56 Authentic... :( )

If you have an athentic then the nameplate is sewed on instead of screen printed right? So just do what I did -- Take off the name plate and get it replaced for $10. I used to have Terry Allen and Champ Bailey jerseys -- now I have Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs jerseys !! You have to get creative in the woel of free agence and costant trades !!

hmmmm...Samuels is hardly a recommendation for steady play on the field. and Jansen has been injured as well - for longer periods of time than LaVar.

Agreed. Samuels got dominated everytime he went up against a good DE. I can still see Jared Allen in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped every play. I was at that game @ Arrowhead. I had KC fans who actually felt sorry for Brunell bc he was running for his life. I won't even bring up Simeion Rice .....

The fact that he made it to the Pro Bowl (where he promptly got dominated so bad by Kyle Vanden Bosch that it led to the Titans coughing up a big contract for him) is amazing to me. Especially off of a team where people like Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Chris Cooley got snubbed........

hmmmm...Samuels is hardly a recommendation for steady play on the field. and Jansen has been injured as well - for longer periods of time than LaVar.

Steady enough to keep his job throughout the "instability." Samuels plays a position where you are going to have bad games - especially on the road. Crowd noise shouldn't be a detriment to LA. In fact, it should help him gain a step to turn the corner more easily - when he's not jumping offsides. Even the great Walter Jones has had a bad game or two this season.

Good point on Jansen. He had about the worst injury you can endure - a torn achilles. He worked his butt off, kept his mouth shut, broke both his thumbs and made 2nd team AP - meaning that more than a few folks felt he was the 2nd best RT in the game. Lavar's money should have went to that man.

Steady enough to keep his job throughout the "instability." Samuels plays a position where you are going to have bad games - especially on the road. Crowd noise shouldn't be a detriment to LA. In fact, it should help him gain a step to turn the corner more easily - when he's not jumping offsides. Even the great Walter Jones has had a bad game or two this season.

Good point on Jansen. He had about the worst injury you can endure - a torn achilles. He worked his butt off, kept his mouth shut, broke both his thumbs and made 2nd team AP - meaning that more than a few folks felt he was the 2nd best RT in the game. Lavar's money should have went to that man.

Seriously stop bringin up the offsides, everyone acts like he was the first player to ever break the rule. If you can't see how Lavar Arrington can help this team then you aren't paying attention. He got stronger as the season went on. Barring the thigh bruise setback he became a big time contributor to this team without even playing on third down. It is clear that his contract must be reworked but to think he doesn't bring a tremendous amount of value to the table is insane.

Jansen had a poor season by his standards. Lavar also had surger as recently as last spring, he had much less time to rehab than Jansen did and he plays a position that requires much more physical ability. Jon Jansen got worked over many times this season.

Jon Jansen

Lavar Arrington

Chris Samuels

All of these players played below their potential last year and the only one people seem to crucify is Lavar. It is ridiculous at this point.

mooka....let's face it...on all sides this is more about emotions than it is quality of play or value to the team. this is one that aint ever gonna be resolved!

I agree that there are a lot of emotions tied into his situation. More than with any single player I can remember as far as the fans go, but IMO the main issue is the contract he is owed and whether he is worth it. I know Lavar said he is willing to restructure, but how much is the key. IMO he will need to take a significant pay cut to fall in line with his value on the field, considering the Redskins defense did well without him over the past 2 years. I am not sure if he is willing to do that, or even if that will even be an option depending on what happens with the CBA. I don't think even at his best he was worth over 10% of the projected cap. There are very few players in the league who deserve that much of their teams cap space.

Seriously stop bringin up the offsides, everyone acts like he was the first player to ever break the rule. If you can't see how Lavar Arrington can help this team then you aren't paying attention. He got stronger as the season went on. Barring the thigh bruise setback he became a big time contributor to this team without even playing on third down. It is clear that his contract must be reworked but to think he doesn't bring a tremendous amount of value to the table is insane.

Jansen had a poor season by his standards. Lavar also had surger as recently as last spring, he had much less time to rehab than Jansen did and he plays a position that requires much more physical ability. Jon Jansen got worked over many times this season.

Jon Jansen

Lavar Arrington

Chris Samuels

All of these players played below their potential last year and the only one people seem to crucify is Lavar. It is ridiculous at this point.

1) Even if this was true (and it’s not) perhaps there’s something to be learned from professionals like Samuels and Jansen: Players who work hard and keep their mouth shut don’t get called out as much as players who yearn for attention.

But like I said – it aint true. Maybe you have this message board confused with another because I’ve seen Samuels get RIPPED on more than a few occasions here. And as I’ve said before in this thread – he plays a very difficult position – so he’s entitled to a bad game or two. The level of skill and focus it takes to play well at left tackle is second only to QB in my mind. QBs and LTs can have their games defined by 1 or 2 bad plays. LBs? Most people wouldn’t even notice if he hit the wrong gap and allowed a 60 yard run. But you better believe that they will replay that sack allowed 2 or 3 times before the next snap. CS allows 2 sacks in a game in Kansas City, one of the loudest stadiums in the league, and I have to read how overpaid he is. God if people on this site only had a brain.

Walter Jones (the gold standard) allowed 2 sacks to Osi U AT HOME and it put the kid in the pro bowl. Wonder if Hawks fans were calling for his hide?

2) Jansen was terrific last season and was given his due by the AP. Get a clue.

3) If Arrington truly “brings a tremendous amount of value” to the team, we’ll see him in Washington this season. But I look forward to you calling Gibbs and Williams “insane” when you realize that they don’t quite see things your way.

1) Even if this was true (and it’s not) perhaps there’s something to be learned from professionals like Samuels and Jansen: Players who work hard and keep their mouth shut don’t get called out as much as players who yearn for attention.

But like I said – it aint true. Maybe you have this message board confused with another because I’ve seen Samuels get RIPPED on more than a few occasions here. And as I’ve said before in this thread – he plays a very difficult position – so he’s entitled to a bad game or two. The level of skill and focus it takes to play well at left tackle is second only to QB in my mind. QBs and LTs can have their games defined by 1 or 2 bad plays. LBs? Most people wouldn’t even notice if he hit the wrong gap and allowed a 60 yard run. But you better believe that they will replay that sack allowed 2 or 3 times before the next snap. CS allows 2 sacks in a game in Kansas City, one of the loudest stadiums in the league, and I have to read how overpaid he is. God if people on this site only had a brain.

Walter Jones (the gold standard) allowed 2 sacks to Osi U AT HOME and it put the kid in the pro bowl. Wonder if Hawks fans were calling for his hide?

2) Jansen was terrific last season and was given his due by the AP. Get a clue.

3) If Arrington truly “brings a tremendous amount of value” to the team, we’ll see him in Washington this season. But I look forward to you calling Gibbs and Williams “insane” when you realize that they don’t quite see things your way.

If people on this site only had a brain??? Pretty self righteous there pal. Your on this site aren't you. Take your own advice. Never did I say that I would disagree with Gregg Williams or Joe Gibbs decision making. To place Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels on a pedistal above a player like Lavar Arrington is just not valid. Those two were the 3rd and 4th best offensive linemen on our team this season. The got beat repeatedly and looked out of place on many an occassion. Casey Rabach and Randy Thomas made this line go last year.

In no way do I think Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels aren't good players, but they didn't earn there dollars last year. I expect them and Lavar to be in top form next year. There is no reason that our 3 most tenured players shouldn't be here to help us make a SB push next season.

I would like to see him on the team. If he was to be cut, I do understand that it is the nature of the beast and time would move on. I was upset when we got rid of big country, but oh well. It is the era where even the most high profile players become cap casualties.

Archived