Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone jog?

Slateman

When I run the outside of my foot lands first, especially my right foot.

Here's the thing, when I'm running, it doesn't bother me anymore than any other part of my leg. Just general fatigue associated with starting a run. Almost always goes away in about 2 or 3 minutes. Then it just becomes a test of endurance.

But then I stopped. My goal is to run a certain time (in this case 8 minutes) continuously in order to build endurance. I tack on at least one minute every week. (started out at 4 minutes2 and a half weeks ago). When I can go no further, I walk for a minute or two, then restart my running.

This is where it starts hurting. The outside of my foot starts hurting, then my shins. Actually feels like a shin strengthing excersize I do to help prevent shin splints. Normally I try to run half as much as my goal time (in this case it would be 4 minutes). I couldn't run more than 2 minutes this time

Are the two related? I'll be the first to admit I'm overweight. Kind of why I'm running. But lately, I've noticing that outside part of my foot hitting the ground first. I also have a tendancy to roll an ankle if I don't pay attention.

Any help? (oh and no healthy insurance at the moment, so don't suggest seeing a doctor) Any kind of insert I could put in my shoe to make my foot land properly/evenly.

well i run cross country and track.....and it seems like u need new shoes...and also..the reason ur getting shin splints is because ur probly hitting ur feet really hard on the ground so try to roll ur feet more than banging it down....u could try getting some athletic tape and tape up ur shins to help ease the pain....as for the outside of ur foot hurting...i think it might just be tendonitis...i had it last year pretty bad and the only u thing u can do about it is just take pain medication....and also u said the outside of ur foot hits the ground first.....that might just be bad running technique than anything......go to a shoe store and ask the people working there to help u find the best shoes for ur feet....shoes are important and most of ur problems are b/c of shoes and running techniques

Go see a podiatrist or physical therapist so you can find out the proper type of shoes to wear when running. Running shoe manufacturers make different types of shoes for different strides/running styles. The different types are: Stability, Motion Control, Cushioning, and Lightweight. It sounds like you pronate your foot alot while running, so Motion Control might be the way to go, but I'd see someone just to make sure. Most physical therapists will also have a list of different brands and models in the category you need so you know you're getting the right type.

I run about 20 miles a week and I don't exactly have a runner's build. If I don't wear the Cushioning style shoe my shins will be killing me in a few days.

Definitely a pronate.

Go to a specialty running shoe store and have them fit you. I had the same problem until I bought a fitted pair of shoes from New Balance. They literally force my feet to land correctly (there is a steel bar under the arch that prevents rolling).

It made the pain stop, and best of all it increased my production. IE, I run faster.

Definitely a pronate.

Go to a specialty running shoe store and have them fit you. I had the same problem until I bought a fitted pair of shoes from New Balance. They literally force my feet to land correctly (there is a steel bar under the arch that prevents rolling).

It made the pain stop, and best of all it increased my production. IE, I run faster.

Exactly. In Northern Virginia, check out Pacers in Clarendon. There is another specialty running store in Pentagon Row that will help you out as well. They watch the way you walk and fit you with the right kind of shoe. I pronate too and going to Pacers really helped me out a lot.

It's called overpronation and I do it as well. You just need to find shoes that are designed to help with this problem. New Balance is the best I have encountered because they make shoes specifically for overpronators. I run in these and have found no better-

http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/product_details.html?g11n.enc=ISO-8859-1&feature=Training&gender=Men&segment=&product=M992GL&product_type=shoe&sport=Running

They are a bit pricey but will last for many, many miles.

I also have tried the older version of these but they had a seem that rubbed blisters on my foot so I had to cover it with some moleskin.

http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/product_details.html?g11n.enc=ISO-8859-1&feature=Training&gender=Men&segment=&product=M857ST&product_type=shoe&sport=Running

I have ran about 30 miles a week for about 5-6 years now and have done 1 marathon and quite a few half marathons (I'm actually doing one tomorrow) and love the 992 (used to be the 991). Like I said they are pricey, but they are like running on a couch compared to some Nikes and Adidas I have tried.

Just general fatigue associated with starting a run. Almost always goes away in about 2 or 3 minutes. Then it just becomes a test of endurance.

Since everyone answered the shin stuff If figured I'd chip in here.....

Your body has 3 general energy systems:

The First one "Phosphagen System" uses energy from stored ATP , this usually is used from 5-20 seconds.

The second one the "Glycogen system" uses stored forms of sugar in your blood , this is the time period you get the "lactic acid build up" and become fatigued. This lasts usually 20-3minutes.

and the last one the "oxydative system" like you said you catch you second wind around 3 minutes huh....well actually just about everyone does.....at this point your body is using the Oxygen efficient enough to burn stored carbs and fat to give you long distance energy. Usually about a 70/30 ratio unless it is a cross country thing. 3+ minutes

These 3 systems are the basis of workouts for different people. For example......a cross country runner is not going to help himself nearly as much if he does 100 meter sprints because he is building power ( phosphgen system mostly )when he needs endurance.... Same as football players don't need to jog around the track ( oxydative mostly ) THEY need to do sprints. Hope this helps you meet whichever goal you have........ :)

I would add that if you're overweight, you might think about losing some weight before you start running...its terrible for your knees if you jog while overweight. My knees are effed up, which is why I don't jog.

I would suggest swimming or biking instead...of course biking makes my knees sore...:whoknows:

I would add that if you're overweight, you might think about losing some weight before you start running...its terrible for your knees if you jog while overweight. My knees are effed up, which is why I don't jog.

I would suggest swimming or biking instead...of course biking makes my knees sore...:whoknows:

good point , how much do you weigh?.....

I agree that jogging in the pool for 30 minutes and treading for 30 is more effective for overweight people.

my friend I was helping train lost 80 lbs in 17 months by eating right and jogging in the pool

Archived