Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can't believe taylor is not mentioned

RDSCNZ20

Did you guys see that cheap shot Roy Williams gave Rod Smith in the PRO BOWL no less? It was towards the end of the game. In the replay you can see Roy looking at Rod and the ball is gone, away from Rod for a good 2 or 3 seconds before Roy hits him while he is on the ground. Of course injured him... What an idiot.

as much as i hate the cowboys ur wrong about this..... um roy was looking at his body and it was in SLOW MOTION thats why it was two or three seconds it was a fine hit, ST would have done the same thing the game is alot faster than u relize and i think if roy williams played for the skins or it was ST making the hit it wouldnt have been a "cheap shot" in ur mind

No, I was not referring to the replay. If course its going to be slower on replay... i am not an idiot. I do not care who it was, I still think its wrong. I have made comments a couple times about Sean Taylor. I do not go around blindly not seeing things just because someone is on the team I like. I love the team, and if the players mess up in some way(cheap shots etc) I notice it and am disgusted with it. Character is far more important. Show me any case where I have made any excuses for something someone did wrong and I will be quite.

Well the opinion of a Redskin by a Redskin fan doesn't have much credibility. Why don't you TRY and think about this from an OBJECTIVE point of view. This is the obvious problem with Pro Bowl balloting, especially considering how many dumb ass journalists decide to use it as a HOF criterion...

Also, as mentioned, he is talking about the PRO BOWL safeties. Sean Taylor has a grand total of 0 Pro Bowl appearances.

In addition, name two things S. Taylor is known for.

Redskins fans might talk about the fumble returns against Philly and TB, or some of the big hits.

Non-Redskins fans are gonna say SPITTING and GUN VIOLENCE. Maybe some really cool socks...

So, what exactly has S. Taylor done to deserve any respect in the media besides those really cool socks...

Well the opinion of a Redskin by a Redskin fan doesn't have much credibility. Why don't you TRY and think about this from an OBJECTIVE point of view. This is the obvious problem with Pro Bowl balloting, especially considering how many dumb ass journalists decide to use it as a HOF criterion...

Also, as mentioned, he is talking about the PRO BOWL safeties. Sean Taylor has a grand total of 0 Pro Bowl appearances.

In addition, name two things S. Taylor is known for.

Redskins fans might talk about the fumble returns against Philly and TB, or some of the big hits.

Non-Redskins fans are gonna say SPITTING and GUN VIOLENCE. Maybe some really cool socks...

So, what exactly has S. Taylor done to deserve any respect in the media besides those really cool socks...

U can't be serious

Oh my god!!!!

Did you see the title?

"Polamalu is the leader of the new school"

I'd take Sean Taylor over Troy Polamalu anyday.

Hes a harder hitter, tougher guy, and can cover guys like Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and Terrell Owens. Coaches like Jon Gruden know who he is too.

Then again when we were in our little run the media did start taking notice of Sean Taylor but then he spat in Micheal Pittmens face and our offence sucked during tampa and it stopped there. Its all about how good your team is, thats how Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Brian Dawkins, and Champ Bailey got their names.

Trust me, Sean Taylor will be up there sooner or later, he is the only guy i know who can cover Randy Moss(both in Minnesota and Oakland). Let alone Jump with him.

Did you guys see that cheap shot Roy Williams gave Rod Smith in the PRO BOWL no less? It was towards the end of the game. In the replay you can see Roy looking at Rod and the ball is gone, away from Rod for a good 2 or 3 seconds before Roy hits him while he is on the ground. Of course injured him... What an idiot.

2-3 second :laugh: good one. Funny that Roy was already committed as the ball passed Smiths hands it hadn't hit the ground or anything

142646probowl05-roywilliams-rodsmith-hit.jpg

I can not believe that some don't think ST is one of the top S in the league, maybe not even top 10???? The man is a playmaker, and like someone else said, majority of it coming from across the field because of teams avoiding him. Just to name a few plays: the hit against Dallas WR in wk 2 after we took the lead that SHOULD'VE been a fumble; Priest Holmes stuck on the line, spinning off to be met by ST and forcing a fumble; caused a fumble against L Tomlinson with his FOOT; key INT against Arizona; fumble recovery for a TD to secure playoff spot; fumble recovery for TD against TB in playoffs that turned out to be a HUGE score; and lets not count the number of receivers dropping passes or tensing up after an overthrow when ST is nearby. Every time he hits you, you know it. I can only think of one shoestring tackle this yr and that was against Tiki @ NY, preventing a TD. At this point in Dawkins career, definitely take him over him; Roy Williams not as big of threat against run (not to mention as a S, you cant get beat deep up 13-7 in the final minutes, uuumm wk 2); I'd put ST together with Ed Reed and Polomalu, toss up, but Im very happy with ST!

2-3 second :laugh: good one. Funny that Roy was already committed as the ball passed Smiths hands it hadn't hit the ground or anything

142646probowl05-roywilliams-rodsmith-hit.jpg

Look, I understand you are a fan of the cowboys, thats all well and good, but why over look something like that blindly just because you are a fan of the team. The picture you show is not very good. If you look at the side to side picture, that ball is a good 2 feet in front of him after he bobbled it. It was far away from him before Roy was commited. Do you not think that he plays dirty? They made the horsecoller rule, even though they do not inforce it, because of Roy Williams, and he still does that. He just plays dirty. And do not go and say I would not say the same thing if it was one of our guys. Sean Taylor spitting on Pittman was completly unclassy and disgusting. He should be ashamed of doing something like that and SHOULD have been penalized for it. Do not let your like of a team (though :dallasuck) blind you to saying a player did wrong...

Top 10 safeties IMO:

Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Adrian Wilson, Bob Sanders, Mike Brown, John Lynch, SEAN TAYLOR, and Roy Williams.

Sean isn't fundamentally sound enough to be mentioned in the top FIVE yet. Yes, offence's avoid ST a lot of times, but, he gets caught out of place alot of times too. He needs to study the game more. He makes plays now because of his athletic ability, he has to learn to prepare for games so that he can make plays with his mind. Once he does that he'll be elite

Oh my god!!!!

Did you see the title?

"Polamalu is the leader of the new school"

I'd take Sean Taylor over Troy Polamalu anyday.

Hes a harder hitter, tougher guy, and can cover guys like Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and Terrell Owens. Coaches like Jon Gruden know who he is too.

Then again when we were in our little run the media did start taking notice of Sean Taylor but then he spat in Micheal Pittmens face and our offence sucked during tampa and it stopped there. Its all about how good your team is, thats how Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Brian Dawkins, and Champ Bailey got their names.

Trust me, Sean Taylor will be up there sooner or later, he is the only guy i know who can cover Randy Moss(both in Minnesota and Oakland). Let alone Jump with him.

You are crazy, seriously.

Most people, even Redskins fans will put Troy P. and Ed Reed ahead of Taylor.

Taylor is pretty good in pass coverage, but that one great play that your talking about Taylor jumping with Moss, but you soon forget the next time he caught a TD pass on him in the endzone. You forgot about that one huh?

I can't imagine how you could not have Ed Reed in that line up but you dare to list J. Lynch. Blasphemy =0.

I havent seen anyone with the tools that ST brings to the table. The only thing that evens him out is his attitude off the field and his inexperience. I have never seen anyone with the speed of ST and the Virticle leaping ability.

I used to think that Rod Woodson was one of the dirtiest players in the game at FS but i now would say that Roy Williams is one of the dirtiest players inthe NFL period. That Horse Collar tackle of his (pads or not pads....a tackle like that by any other name is still intending to injure) is going to end someone elses carreer realy soon.

ST isn't in the top 5. Take off the homer glasses. I know you don't want to hear it, but just because he hits hard doesn't make him a top 5 safety.

Well actually its because he hits hard, Can play cornerback, is tough in the run game, can play a 1 deep zone with ease. If he was Roy Williams id agree with that comment but he is Sean Taylor and hes definately top 5 in the league right now

ST would be a top 5 safety if he could get his head on straight. His late hits, and spitting incidents cost us yards. He may be the most athletically gifted safety in the league, but until he straightens his heada out he will not be a lock for top 5 lists.

This post says it all. No matter what people say about ST until he gets his act together his name won't be mentioned as a pro bowler. There is the possibilty he may get some jail time, so until he grows up the pro bowl argument is not realistic.

:2cents:

ST isn't in the top 5. Take off the homer glasses. I know you don't want to hear it, but just because he hits hard doesn't make him a top 5 safety.

Roy Williams single-handedly lost the game for the Cowboys in the first meeting of the yeat against the Redskins...getting beat twice in 3 minutes. That same game Sean Taylor leveled Patrick Crayton on a would-be first down to possibly put the Cowboys in field goal range.

Sean Taylor also stopped JJ Arrington on 4th down to seal the win against the Cardinals.

Sean Taylor makes game winning tackles/hits, Roy Williams gives up big plays and is a liability in coverge...

And I'm guessing you would include Roy in your list. Roy is nothing but an undersized linebacker, overweight safety, cheap-shot artist, who deserves absolutely ZERO respect. I hope that hit on Rod Smith opened up some people's eyes. I have to give respect where respect is due, and I believe Dawkins, Polamalu, Sanders, Lynch, and Brown are all great players and play with a certain level of respect for their peers. Reed should be on this list too, but he wasn't in the pro bowl. Williams should not be mentioned in the same sentence as these other safeties.

Just because you boys all have man-crushes on ST doesn't make him the greatest safety in the league. Read your own posts. Even some redskin fans say he is out of position many times and takes cheap shots on others that end up costing you yards.

Is he beter than Roy Williams? I don't know, I say they're pretty damn close. Nobody wants to get hit by either one. I'd say ST is more physically gifted, hell, he might be the most physically gifted Safety to ever play, but they guy has a 5 cent head on his shoulders. Spits at people, takes cheap shots, loses his cool, doesn't even call his own coach back in the offseason. These are stupid moves this guy makes, and I won't even bring up his off the field issues, cause they aren't relevent to his on the field play.

But make no mistake, there are some prety damn good safeties in the league, ST can be right up there with some work, no doubt about it. But he's not there yet.

As far as "undersized linebacker", what the hell do you think Taylor is? Jesus, open your eyes and realize ST and RW are damn near the same player, minus the attitude problems of ST.

Yeah, and I watched the probowl, and saw Roys hit on Smith. I have to admit, I was a little dissapointed roy laid that hit on him, I thought it was a little too hardcore for a Pro-bowl game, but a dirty player he is not. He may have been a little overzealous there, hell, maybe he thought he was hitting Chad Johnson and lost some control of himself.

Is he beter than Roy Williams? I don't know, I say they're pretty damn close. Nobody wants to get hit by either one. I'd say ST is more physically gifted, hell, he might be the most physically gifted Safety to ever play, but they guy has a 5 cent head on his shoulders. Spits at people, takes cheap shots, loses his cool, doesn't even call his own coach back in the offseason. These are stupid moves this guy makes, and I won't even bring up his off the field issues, cause they aren't relevent to his on the field play.

But make no mistake, there are some prety damn good safeties in the league, ST can be right up there with some work, no doubt about it. But he's not there yet.

As far as "undersized linebacker", what the hell do you think Taylor is? Jesus, open your eyes and realize ST and RW are damn near the same player, minus the attitude problems of ST.

Go ask Gregg Williams about his 5 cent head.

Sean may still show inexperience at times, but his football smarts are unquestioned by those who coach him.

As for "undersized linebacker"- that describes Roy Williams to a T. Sean Taylor on the otherhand is a pure safety in the body of a linebacker. There is a huge difference. See, Sean Taylor has the natural ability to actually cover wide receivers (ask Randy Moss,TO etc)......Roy Williams.....to be nice......does not.

Go ask Gregg Williams about his 5 cent head.

Sean may still show inexperience at times, but his football smarts are unquestioned by those who coach him.

As for "undersized linebacker"- that describes Roy Williams to a T. Sean Taylor on the otherhand is a pure safety in the body of a linebacker. There is a huge difference. See, Sean Taylor has the natural ability to actually cover wide receivers (ask Randy Moss,TO etc)......Roy Williams.....to be nice......does not.

If you don't believe ST is a knucklehead, than those homer glasses on are way too tight. If he was on any other team in the league you'd be saying the same thing. But since he is a skin, you think he's great.

I"m the same way to an extent with RW. We're all fans, so we are biased for our teams. But from time to time, its healthy to step back and take a more legitimate look at your football team. Thats all I'm saying about ST.

And in my earlier post, I said ST is a very gifted athlete, moreso than RW, but Roy isn't half as bad at coverage as you skin fans think he is. Is he Deion Sanders in his prime? Of course not, but he's not as bad as you think he is.

Those two bombs to Santana on monday night????? On both plays Roy wasn't designated to help the corner on Santana, but he made it over there to help out anyway, just being one step shy. But thats not what the redskins fan see's. They see "Roy can't cover Santana", "He's a liability in coverage". BS It wasn't Roys job to cover Santana on those plays.

Like I said before, I'll take a guy not as skilled, than a knucklehead who gets in trouble all the time. ST is classless, and you'd say the same thing if he weren't a redskin. Admit it.

Just because you boys all have man-crushes on ST doesn't make him the greatest safety in the league. Read your own posts. Even some redskin fans say he is out of position many times and takes cheap shots on others that end up costing you yards.

Yeah, and I watched the probowl, and saw Roys hit on Smith. I have to admit, I was a little dissapointed roy laid that hit on him, I thought it was a little too hardcore for a Pro-bowl game, but a dirty player he is not. He may have been a little overzealous there, hell, maybe he thought he was hitting Chad Johnson and lost some control of himself.

Well, I must say I agree with a lot of what you said. I really do not get how people will over look stuff someone did just because he is on a team they like. Never made sense to me. I think ST is really good, I think he is better then RW, but he is not in the top 5 yet. If he works at it he can be up there, for sure. And as to the Pro Bowl hit, personnally, after watching him play a lot through out the seasons, I think he does play dirty. Maybe not all the time, but a majority. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. And thank you for at least admitting he was overzealous for a probowl game. I would not have had as much of a problem with it if it was a regular season game, but that was the probowl. The game moves fast, so their is some room for error, but thats the pro bowl. Do not need any of that hitting in the pro bowl. Save it for the regular season. And even then that is right on the line, if not a little past it.

right now, Sean is more of an athlete than safety.

His natural skills are what scored those TD's late in the year.

If he learns his role better, he will make even more plays.

I agree with this. If you just watch the way that Polamalu, Reed or even someone like Sanders play, you can see the difference between them and Taylor.

Polamalu is a freak. Taylor may be able to take him in the 100 meters, but no one in football gets from Point A to Point B faster. And he is capable of rushing the QB from the edge, up the middle, on a delay or faking a blitz and getting into cover 2. He pretty much beat the Colts by himself.

Sanders anticipates the run better than pretty much any safety in football. He doesn't have the greatest coverage skils but he rarely gets out of position. Like Polamalu he always seems to know where the ball is going to be.

Reed has insane coverage skills and - like Polamalu and Sanders - is almost impossible to gameplan against. He will find his way to the ball.

Dawkins is like an older, slightly slower Reed. But he may be the best hitter of the group.

Taylor still needs to improve in a few areas. One, he needs to control himself. Anyone that gets himself kicked out of a playoff game loses Top Five consideration from me. He also needs to avoid the whole "prison" thing.

Secondly, I think you can still gameplan Taylor. For one, he bites on play fakes and double moves like crazy. None of the safeties mentioned give up big plays like he does. Two, he doesn't seem to find the ball enough for me. I don't think it's possible to gameplan in a way that limits the number of times Polamalu, Reed, and Dawkins are in on a play. Taylor makes big plays when a) the play enters his zone or B) there is a loose ball/breakdown which allows his natural athleticism to take over.

Archived