Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Danny vs. Bill Polian

36SKINS56

First off, I understand that by putting up this thread, people are going to throw me to the lions becuase their favorite offseason hobby is thread bashing. However, after hearing of Bill Polian's jab at Snyder, I cannot help but feel that Danny boy took it personally and will do all in his power/wallet to Make Polian eat his words. It has also led me to a deep hatred for the Colts. Now before you begin bashing this idea, please read on...

When, not if, Indy franchise tags Wayne, Danny boy should strike back by outbidding for Robert Mathis, Indy's DE who had quite a nice year (continuing his steady incline with 11.5 sacks and 8 forced fumbles this year). Now, Mathis is a RFA, but we all know that this means diddly to Snyder and his banker. Danny could either take the new (Mathis included) line into 2006, or he could complete the rumored trade for Abraham (not totally necessary if he gets Mathis). Now its not necessary to get Abraham if we have Mathis, but how sick would the Dline be with those book ends?! Anything is possible with Dan Snyder. And I have come to expect the impossible with him...

Thanks for taking the time to read this, bash on folks.

:coltsuck: :jetssuck:

where there is a will, there is a way...remember,...probably no salary cap after this season...or at least an increased one. I think the business side of Danny would want to get a player like Mathis in before that takes effect. Besides, this would be a better option then Abraham who we'd have to trade for. Ive seen Danny put together a hefty summed roster before....he could do it. Compensate for a smaller salary with higher bonus maybe?

Mathis is interesting and I think this is a good post. Here are some issues. Mathis is listed at 6'2" and 235 pounds -- VERY light. Chris Clemons might be bigger. As a RFA the Skins would have to pay a above market price for him for Indy not to match. Compensation for Indy would be a 5th round pick.

But I like your thinking.

Careful not to overrate Mathis because he plays opposite Freeney and his numbers benefit from that.

If we got Abraham too then, yeah, maybe it could work out.

But that's a lot of money. And we'd also likely have to trade something for Abraham.

It's pretty far fetched.

I think we'd draft our own Mathis type player in the 2nd or 3rd round before paying a ton for a similar player in free agency.

I also don't think Abraham is coming here no matter what the case. I see him being dealt to San Diego for Rivers before being dealt here.

Plus, he's had character issues in the past and Gibbs doesn't bring those types of guys in, particular for big money. He deals with them when they're already on the team, but he doesn't bring them in.

There's only so much Snyder and his checkbook can pull off. I admit, if there's any owner in the league that could do it, it's Snyder. However, this is almost an impossible proposition. Abraham is going to get tagged, which means Snyder will have to outbid a bunch of teams.

I am just iffy about drafting a DE and hoping he pans out...I go against the grain for alot of the ES people out there who think we should draft DE and get a veteran WR...I think a veteran DE would be what we would need. Someone with alot of tread left on the tires though. I am opposite of everyone in that I think a rookie WR would do well across from Moss, while we need a big presence on our Dline. I just cant friggin wait until he fires up his plane and dangles a checkbook in front of these guys!

oh,...and agreed "salary what?"

whats your reasoning for comparing him to Burgess, and why would he be a rotational player? What is the reasoning to question his every down reliability?

Wynn, 24 Tackles, .5 sacks

Mathis 43 Tackles, 11.5 sacks, 8 FF (more tackles than any Redkins DL)

whats your reasoning for comparing him to Burgess, and why would he be a rotational player? What is the reasoning to question his every down reliability?

Other than the fact that he's maybe 235 pounds soaking weight?

The guy is a situational pass rusher for Indy. The fact that they were pretty far ahead in most of their games gave him plenty of opportunities to rush the passer.

Renaldo Wynn is a prototypical run stopping LE. And he moves inside and rushes the passer as a DT on passing downs.

If the Redskins were to sign this guy it would be to play a role similar to Chris Clemons. He's a LB on running downs, and moves to rush end on passing downs. He is not a 1st and 10, 2nd and 5, 3rd and short DE...

Is there that big of a difference between 6 foot 4, 256 (J.Abes) and 6 foot 2 235?? (not a sarcastic question, I seriously want to know if it would make that huge of a difference)

DE's played a big role in Buffulo and Tenn for G.Willy, so I really want to address this in the offseason (hopefully thru FA, not draft)

We do have some big boys on the Dline, maybe he would compliment them?

I just really want to stick it to the Colts for that BS comment, and I dont want to trade Lavar for J.Abes...something that scares me

I'll tell you why.......Damn it, I can't, DAMN YOU IHEART!!!!!! :D

You dont think Dan would be upset after getting called out by a GM?

Not particularly, it was professional not personal. And Gibbs has always excelled at suceeding with many players, we can find another (Snyder already trumped every GM in the league when he reeled in Gibbs). If Polian wants to overpay to keep Wayne, the best thing Snyder could do to get back at Polian would be to drive up the price and let Polian have him.

Mathis is interesting and I think this is a good post. Here are some issues. Mathis is listed at 6'2" and 235 pounds -- VERY light. Chris Clemons might be bigger. As a RFA the Skins would have to pay a above market price for him for Indy not to match. Compensation for Indy would be a 5th round pick.

But I like your thinking.

I'm pretty sure the Colts will tender Mathis at the first round tender so they can protect him from teams that have cap space and would love to give up a 5th rd pick for him. They'll likely do the same with Cato June also.

You dont think Dan would be upset after getting called out by a GM?

He'll be upset but he's no longer in charge. Pappa Gibbs will sit him down, give him a lollipop and tell him that everthing will be all right. Especially after the Skins go 14-0 and demonstrate to the Irsays how a Superbowl championship is achieved.

The days of ego driving personnel moves with this team are a thing of the past.

If Danny is making personell decisions as revenge' date=' he should be locked in a closet for the next 24 months.

Here is a newsflash: we don't have to "win" the offseason. There is no title for it. All the Skins need to do is shore up their roster and figure out what to do with Ramsey and Lavar.[/quote']

You beat me to it. Overpaying for a situational pass rusher out of spite doesn't seem to be the wisest course of action. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having Mathis on the team but only if he comes at a reasonable price.

Greg Williams even dismissed the idea of pursuing Freeny saying he couldn't convert to our current defensive scheme.

Salary CAP??

Oh please

Once the agreements are done before the 3rd of march that whirlwind you will notice out of Redskins park will be the numerous contract renegotiations to not only get under the cap but have space to pursue free agents.

Archived