Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pumped for free agency

the burgundy and gold

Yeah, I'm actually a little glad the Super Bowl and all the media hype that goes with it is over, now we can actually focus on free agency, the CBA, and all the off-season moves around the NFL. No idea about Givens or Abraham, but seeing how things have worked recently, we probably will have no clue and open up the Washington Post one day or get on Redskins.com and find out Gibbs flew somewhere in the middle of the night and signed some unexpected superstar. So I'm just waiting to be surprised.

we probably will have no clue and open up the Washington Post one day or get on Redskins.com and find out Gibbs flew somewhere in the middle of the night and signed some unexpected superstar. So I'm just waiting to be surprised.

Exactly. Beauty of Gibbs.

Here is what Greg Blache says about guys like John Abraham.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128972

Dwight Freeney or John Abraham?

Dwight Freeney, and no disrespect to him, but he’s in a system where they don’t play the run. They just go up field. And he also plays on turf. If you ever looked at Indianapolis football, they play a totally different system than we do. I don’t know what John Abraham’s numbers are, I think John’s an excellent football player, but those guys would not necessarily fit into our system to do all the things we want them to do. I think the one thing you have to understand, I don’t think you can take a Corvette motor and put it in an SUV. People see all this flash and glitter and they think that’s the ultimate answer. And its not. If that were the answer the Colts would’ve won the Super Bowl already.

Dwight Freeney’s been there the last couple years. So I don’t think that’s the ultimate answer. We live in a glitter society, we get all caught up in the glitter. Glitter is not necessarily going to be the answer for you. Sometimes we get caught up in the numbers and the flash. I kind of giggle sometimes when I look at the Pro Bowl list and see some of the guys who go because they have 16 sacks. And their team lets them go because they don’t play the run. We’re going to stop the run. We’re going to make you throw the football, then we’re going to go after you and we’re going to try and pressure you. I’m certain, people on the outside listening to the sportscasters say ‘you don’t have enough pressure’, ‘you don’t have this or the other’ – I don’t buy that. I’ve been around this business 18 years. I believe in my people and what they’re doing. I respect everybody else and I understand how they get inundated with sports talk shows and NFL stuff. It’s like the parent whose child’s a heart surgeon, and they’re complaining because they’re not a brain surgeon. We’re heart surgeons. We may not be brain surgeons, but love us just the same.

Do we really need a pash rusher? Phillip Daniels finished the season very strong. I'm wondering what we're going to do with the wide receiver position opposite Santana Moss. There was talk that the Colts will try to prevent the Redskins from getting Reggie Wayne.

I seriously doubt we will end up with Reggie Wayne. No inside info or anything, but if I am not mistaken, he is a restricted free agent, and the money and lost draft picks may be a little too much. I think Randle El, Jurevicius and Givens are more likely options. But the Bears are probably going to be tough to beat out for Randle El, who would be my target.

But I have been wrong before, and Redskins acquisitions have surprised us all before. That is why I love this time of year, so many options and therefore, things to argue about.

KFFL Breaking News

KFFL.com have just released the NFL's price tags for franchised and transitional free agents.

Now, using these figures as an example, one could expect John Abraham to be tagged as a franchise FA. Therefore, the 'Skins would have to find $8,332,000 if they wanted to sign Abraham.

Franchised WR's are priced at $6,172,000, whilst you would expect Shaun Alexander to br franchised, and thus priced at $6,085,000. A CB is even priced at $5,893,000.

Would we be better off in looking at second tier FA's to compliment what we already have, or do we go the whole hog and ditch some of our big $ back-ups (Ramsey, and some would say Arrington) to free up the $ to stand a chance of signing a possible franchise-tagged player?

Well, when we trade for a franchised player, no way in heck do we trade for the franchised amount. We would trade based on us working out a new contract, which would result in a cap number about a half to a third of the franchised cap number. Also I think Abraham was franchised 2 years in a row. That means if the Jets were to franchise him again, he would cost 110% of what his franchise number was last year.

I dont think the Jets do it again. He is a FA and walks for free.

Am i the only getting pumped up for free agency and other offseason moves. What do you think are chances of getting David Givens and John Abraham are?

One or the other, the chances are good.. Getting both? nil..

I like our defense, and even though it's good you can always make something better. However we NEED a WR.

This is correct but 9 times out of 10 when you trade for a franchise player you sign them to a long term contract extension. Therefore you don't have to take the full $8 Mil plus the first year.

KFFL Breaking News

KFFL.com have just released the NFL's price tags for franchised and transitional free agents.

Now, using these figures as an example, one could expect John Abraham to be tagged as a franchise FA. Therefore, the 'Skins would have to find $8,332,000 if they wanted to sign Abraham.

Franchised WR's are priced at $6,172,000, whilst you would expect Shaun Alexander to br franchised, and thus priced at $6,085,000. A CB is even priced at $5,893,000.

Would we be better off in looking at second tier FA's to compliment what we already have, or do we go the whole hog and ditch some of our big $ back-ups (Ramsey, and some would say Arrington) to free up the $ to stand a chance of signing a possible franchise-tagged player?

Archived