Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On Madden 2006, the Redskins overall team rating has increased.

flexxskins

I don't think anyone will be able to help you regarding soley the skins playbook because the passing game is the passing game, doesn't really change just because you have different plays. I think the best advice I could give you is to try and recognize defenses(mostly zone coverage), and get good with setting hot routes for your receivers.

ex: You see that the defense is in a dime defense, and you think they might be running zone coverage. Now being good on defense as you said you are, you'll already know that IF they are in zone coverage, you can pretty much guess where they will be positioned(I usually keep an eye on 1 LB and 1 safety for the tell after the snap). Set a receiver on a route that will get by the zone, such as a slant or post to the outside just out of range of the LB's. Then after you hike the ball, if indeed you see them fall back into zone coverage, you can go straight to that receiver. If not, you can look off of him somewhere else. I usually set my TE or a slower receiver to run a quick-slant to the middle in case I need to get the ball out fast.

Hope this helps!

Ok, I'm glad someone brought this back because I am confused as hell. :doh:

Back when I originally posted this, I'm guessing that when I went online to play a game, the game automatically updated my roster. I didn't see it happen, but when I went into the game set up menu with my opponent, I noticed that my team (the Redskins) overall rating was now a 86 instead of the usual 77.

Well, that was on my upstairs playstation. On my daughters PS2 downstairs, the roster still has not updated and the Redskins are still a 77 OVR. I don't understand this.

Does anyone have a explaination as to why one would update and not the other?

I don't think anyone will be able to help you regarding soley the skins playbook because the passing game is the passing game, doesn't really change just because you have different plays. I think the best advice I could give you is to try and recognize defenses(mostly zone coverage), and get good with setting hot routes for your receivers.

ex: You see that the defense is in a dime defense, and you think they might be running zone coverage. Now being good on defense as you said you are, you'll already know that IF they are in zone coverage, you can pretty much guess where they will be positioned(I usually keep an eye on 1 LB and 1 safety for the tell after the snap). Set a receiver on a route that will get by the zone, such as a slant or post to the outside just out of range of the LB's. Then after you hike the ball, if indeed you see them fall back into zone coverage, you can go straight to that receiver. If not, you can look off of him somewhere else. I usually set my TE or a slower receiver to run a quick-slant to the middle in case I need to get the ball out fast.

Hope this helps!

The first thing I look for is zone/man and I audible and hot route all the time. I think my biggest problem is reading the zones quick enough and timing the throw with the holes in the zones. I do run a lot of slants but Jacobs and Cooley are always dropping them on me when they get hit. Maybe I need to try a different playbook. I love the Gibbs running game (I always run it at least 50% of the time, sometimes to a fault) but I just don't know how to consistenly get my intermediate and deep passing game on track. Ramsey misses all the tight/touch throws, Brunell doesn't have the arm for deep throws or long throws over the middle, nobody on the team can go up for a jump ball with any consistency, or catch it in traffic, I'm just at a loss. It's like I'm giving up half the passing game with either QB so I stick with Brunell because he can at least make the chain moving throws. I've all but given up on getting Moss deep because I never seem to complete it.

The first thing I look for is zone/man and I audible and hot route all the time. I think my biggest problem is reading the zones quick enough and timing the throw with the holes in the zones. I do run a lot of slants but Jacobs and Cooley are always dropping them on me when they get hit. Maybe I need to try a different playbook. I love the Gibbs running game (I always run it at least 50% of the time, sometimes to a fault) but I just don't know how to consistenly get my intermediate and deep passing game on track. Ramsey misses all the tight/touch throws, Brunell doesn't have the arm for deep throws or long throws over the middle, nobody on the team can go up for a jump ball with any consistency, or catch it in traffic, I'm just at a loss. It's like I'm giving up half the passing game with either QB so I stick with Brunell because he can at least make the chain moving throws. I've all but given up on getting Moss deep because I never seem to complete it.

I prefer to use the Denver play book, because you sound a lot like me in your style of play. Prefer to run a lot, and set up the play actions, putting a few passes in here and there. The Denver playbook, to me atleast, has an excellent mix of run plays and PA passes incorporated in it.

Also, you said they tend to drop the ball a lot when you pass to them, and I totally understand. I used to have that problem a lot. But then I started to realize that the shorter route isn't always the last one. If I only see 1 LB in the play, I'll look to see if he falls back into a zone...if so, I'll hit Cooley on a quick-slant and won't have to worry about him getting hit right away. Also, you want to pay attention to the speed of your receivers. You don't want Moss running a post from the outside position going in, and Patten or someone running a straight deep-route, b/c either they're going to run into each other b/c Moss is faster, or they'll have both defenders there at the same time.

I think my favorite play in Denvers PB is the PA bootleg to the left. It sends the left WR on a cutback route, then Cooley on a shallow slant and Moss on a slant about 5-7 yards out from him. Usually Cooley ends up wide open because Moss is fast enough to draw defenders away from Cooley, leaving him with a lot of room to run.

Finally, you'll want to try and visualize your plays while you run them. It really helps you to see an open man before he's actually open, especially on slants and posts. If you've got Moss on a route to run 10 yards and cut right to the sideline(from the right WR position) and the CB is running with him on the inside, you can bet Moss will be open on that cut b/c the CB won't be able to catch up.

If you want, I can play you tonight and try to help you out, maybe let you know what's going wrong.

Friends Name: EnFoRcEruPu

Game Name: EnFoRcEr uPu (w/ space)

I prefer to use the Denver play book, because you sound a lot like me in your style of play. Prefer to run a lot, and set up the play actions, putting a few passes in here and there. The Denver playbook, to me atleast, has an excellent mix of run plays and PA passes incorporated in it.

Also, you said they tend to drop the ball a lot when you pass to them, and I totally understand. I used to have that problem a lot. But then I started to realize that the shorter route isn't always the last one. If I only see 1 LB in the play, I'll look to see if he falls back into a zone...if so, I'll hit Cooley on a quick-slant and won't have to worry about him getting hit right away. Also, you want to pay attention to the speed of your receivers. You don't want Moss running a post from the outside position going in, and Patten or someone running a straight deep-route, b/c either they're going to run into each other b/c Moss is faster, or they'll have both defenders there at the same time.

I think my favorite play in Denvers PB is the PA bootleg to the left. It sends the left WR on a cutback route, then Cooley on a shallow slant and Moss on a slant about 5-7 yards out from him. Usually Cooley ends up wide open because Moss is fast enough to draw defenders away from Cooley, leaving him with a lot of room to run.

Finally, you'll want to try and visualize your plays while you run them. It really helps you to see an open man before he's actually open, especially on slants and posts. If you've got Moss on a route to run 10 yards and cut right to the sideline(from the right WR position) and the CB is running with him on the inside, you can bet Moss will be open on that cut b/c the CB won't be able to catch up.

If you want, I can play you tonight and try to help you out, maybe let you know what's going wrong.

Friends Name: EnFoRcEruPu

Game Name: EnFoRcEr uPu (w/ space)

Do you play on PS2 or Xbox? I play on PS2 (Gibbs H Back). I'm def. down for a game tonight. Between 7 and 8 sound good?

What are some of you guys' favorite things to do (out of Gibbs playbook) in the passing game? My running game is excellent but it seems like unless I play action and pump fake twice (wonder if you're gonna take a sack doing that ::sarcasm::) I can't get anyone open. It's like if I don't get the ground game going, then sprinkle in some play action, then add some spread set runs, then, finally add some straight up pass plays I can't anything going. People who play good D don't have much trouble stopping my passing game. On the other hand, I'm a defensive player first and foremost but I get tired of losing these low scoring games because I can't pass well when I need to. I'm good with the vision, reasonably good at making reads, I just can't seem to get people open.

Anyone care to share their thoughts/ideas on the Skins passing game?

The Gibbs playbook in Madden looks nothing like the playbook in real life lol.

My favorite passing plays is 2nd one (can't think of it off the top of my head) in the Full House formation. The FB & TE run wheel routes, while WR1 runs a post and WR2 runs a kind of post/slant formation. My other one is out of I-Form Twin TE/FB Flat I think it's called. Usually the WR1 will be open or the FB underneath. The best play is out of Strong I, PA FB Fake, where the QB fakes the handoff to the FB and then hands it to the HB on a sweep. I play Franchise Mode, but I did a Fantasy League draft instead of the default draft. I still kept Ramsey & Portis as the QBs/RBs. The TE is Gates, FB is Justin Griffifth. On D, there are like no originial Redskins except Stoutmire as the free safety. I did bring Smoot back, but just like in real life he's given up a lot of TDs lately.

Sorry if this is old news for you young bucs who get to go online and play everyday. ;) I am just trying to get news to the average Joe Schmoe that might not get online to play that much.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I noticed that instead of playing and struggling with my usual 77 OVR Redskins team, I was now playing with a 86 OVR Redskins team. The offense jumped to a whopping 87 rating...sheesh.

I haven't had the chance to check yet, but when the team rating goes up like that, do individual ratings increase? I noticed that S.Moss's didn't increase. He is grossly underrated.

Thanks for the update !

Ive only got the PC version. I gave up on playing it because it was way to easy. 19-0 season my first time playing it in a year and winning each game by 30 points, WHILE the computer cheats just... isnt that entertaining. Im a heavy runner, and because of the nature of Madden I play slants and cutbacks mostly, with some PA.

Ive only got the PC version. I gave up on playing it because it was way to easy. 19-0 season my first time playing it in a year and winning each game by 30 points, WHILE the computer cheats just... isnt that entertaining. Im a heavy runner, and because of the nature of Madden I play slants and cutbacks mostly, with some PA.

Go online. That's where the competition is... although I lot of people cheat in the PC version. But they aren't all that hard to spot so with a little experience you'll know who to avoid. I'm typically rated somewhere in the top 100 online in the PC version (not bad considering that a lot of people above me are not legit).

Online i make a few subs. I put Sellers at FB and Cooley at TE. Then I substitute to put Cooley at FB in the I form close (royal as TE) and 3 WR and in the Split Backs 3 WR and in Goaline I move Sellers to TE with Cooley at FB. The reason being these are the formations that have good routes for FBs and Sellers just isn't fast enough. The PA TE Leak out of I form close is money, Cooley is almost always open for 6 yards in the flat and it's a play action that allows you to get the ball off even against the blitz.

I always leave Sellers in at FB and Cooley at TE. When it comes to short yardage situations, it's pretty easy to send Sellers in just protecting the ball (triangle on ps2) and he'll break a few tackles because of his size. With 90 catching and decent blocking Cooley is a damn good TE (and he's human unlike Shockey in that game).

What are some of you guys' favorite things to do (out of Gibbs playbook) in the passing game? I'm a defensive player first and foremost but I get tired of losing these low scoring games because I can't pass well when I need to. I'm good with the vision, reasonably good at making reads, I just can't seem to get people open.

Anyone care to share their thoughts/ideas on the Skins passing game?

I don't use the Skins playbook. The lack of a shotgun formation creates a lot of problems when you play teams with a good front 4 or with a speedy front 7. Not using it tends to work pretty well for me since I have a pretty explosive offense (average 125 or so rushing yards and 200+ passing yards a game online) and have a weaker defense. The way I play, I tend to either send the house on a blitz or drop all my LBs (usually in a 3-4 with Holdman as the second MLB) into coverage to get the pick... which results in me giving up a lot of big plays but also generating 2-6 turnovers a game.

The Denver or Pittsburgh playbooks are ideal for how I like to play. Lots of short formations with crossing routes that blow up the coverage. I do run quite a bit, though, so the option to run a PA and bomb it out is always there.

Can't think of anything else I do thats too different... I determine my #2 CB based on the size and speed of the receivers on the team I'm playing (taller and faster = Rogers) and usually use Ryan Clark over Prioleau because he can cover deep much better (more speed and jump). I've used both Brunell and Ramsey before and still can't decide who I like most in-game. I love being able to air it out but sometimes the lack of accuracy with Ramsey is a huge liability. Irregardless, I have a system and I'm pretty damn good with it.

I always leave Sellers in at FB and Cooley at TE. When it comes to short yardage situations, it's pretty easy to send Sellers in just protecting the ball (triangle on ps2) and he'll break a few tackles because of his size. With 90 catching and decent blocking Cooley is a damn good TE (and he's human unlike Shockey in that game).

I agree about Sellers which is why I leave him at FB in all the 1 WR formations. The formations that have really good FB pass routes, though, I sub Cooley in. He stills does the job blocking and it allows for a more versatile attack. Like I said, I have no problems with the running game, it's just that I occasionally have problems in the passing game because the skins lack a possesion reciever (this game is so ridiculously geared towards big tall WR, it's crazy. It's near impossible to stop those people who use the Lions/Seahawks/Jags because all they do is precision pass high and the guy comes down with it in a crowd of 4 people. Ridiculous, I can't stand that crap.)

I've had people with the Lions march down the field throwing high 6 yard passes to the same guy over and over again and no matter what I try or how many guys I have there, it's almost always complete. I mean, he's going to the same player, same time, same place, same route every time and I just can't stop it.

I agree about Sellers which is why I leave him at FB in all the 1 WR formations. The formations that have really good FB pass routes, though, I sub Cooley in. He stills does the job blocking and it allows for a more versatile attack. Like I said, I have no problems with the running game, it's just that I occasionally have problems in the passing game because the skins lack a possesion reciever (this game is so ridiculously geared towards big tall WR, it's crazy. It's near impossible to stop those people who use the Lions/Seahawks/Jags because all they do is precision pass high and the guy comes down with it in a crowd of 4 people. Ridiculous, I can't stand that crap.)
You forgot the Raiders, Eagles and Giants also. Moss, Owens and Burress are ridiculous. Shockey is crazy good too.

I have no problems with the running game, it's just that I occasionally have problems in the passing game because the skins lack a possesion reciever (this game is so ridiculously geared towards big tall WR, it's crazy. It's near impossible to stop those people who use the Lions/Seahawks/Jags because all they do is precision pass high and the guy comes down with it in a crowd of 4 people. Ridiculous, I can't stand that crap.)

I've had people with the Lions march down the field throwing high 6 yard passes to the same guy over and over again and no matter what I try or how many guys I have there, it's almost always complete. I mean, he's going to the same player, same time, same place, same route every time and I just can't stop it.

The game is geared a bit much toward tall guys (6'3"+ with good hands and speed are VERY hard to shut down). However, it's more so a matter of how you use the receivers that makes them effective. With the Skins you can't really lob it to the receivers, you have to get it right to them when they have a little bit of separation. The best way to do this is to hit them right as they break on their routes (especially with Patten on hook or out routes). Cooley runs a mean slant and will catch the ball over most DBs if they aren't between him and the path of the ball. Moss can do pretty much anything... but he's VERY good at getting separation so you want to try to break up the coverage around him (use decoy routes to keep extra defenders out of the way).

Obviously the Lions guy was on to something in your defense if he could run the same route over and over again. Usually Sean Taylor is a beast at breaking up plays to bigger receivers... so if you put him in a zone in the right spot (usually the yellow-colored zone) he has a good chance at deflecting or picking off the ball. Or you could just drop everyone into coverage to mess up the passing lanes.

Edit: Burress, Shockey, and Gates all have flaws that keep them from being totally unstoppable. Randy Moss and TO are the only ones that really take something special just to LIMIT... Harrison, too but not so much when anyone is throwing to him other than Peyton.

This latest update has D.Patten back in the starting line up and I couldn't be happier. I have 3 bread and butter pass plays and they have all been going to either Thrash or Jacobs. Patten is faster than both of them and has better hands.

This is going to give me better options in the 5wr formation as well. Brown and Farris just weren't doing the job. :)

I'm one step ahead of yall because I already have beeen playing with the chiefs playbook all year and can't wait till next year so i don't have to change it everytime.

And for the last month I've been using Jason Campbell (online) and he's been great.

His mobility gives my offense another dimension that I never had.

Glad too see Cooley finally get some love when you switch him to TE (85), before I think he was a seventy somehting when you moved him to TE.

Best thing to do with the redskins passing game is run alot of crossing routes and Jacobs is somewhat effective with post routes. Of course Moss deep and try running the Wr screen, against Zone defenses it works great especially if you are good enough to make one person miss on your own.

Cooley is also good with posts and comeback routes (are almost unstoppable, just throw it up high to him).

I play PS2 ONLINE Send me a friend request to get a game--- Skins84ed

I'm one step ahead of yall because I already have beeen playing with the chiefs playbook all year and can't wait till next year so i don't have to change it everytime.

And for the last month I've been using Jason Campbell (online) and he's been great.

His mobility gives my offense another dimension that I never had.

Glad too see Cooley finally get some love when you switch him to TE (85), before I think he was a seventy somehting when you moved him to TE.

Best thing to do with the redskins passing game is run alot of crossing routes and Jacobs is somewhat effective with post routes. Of course Moss deep and try running the Wr screen, against Zone defenses it works great especially if you are good enough to make one person miss on your own.

Cooley is also good with posts and comeback routes (are almost unstoppable, just throw it up high to him).

I play PS2 ONLINE Send me a friend request to get a game--- Skins84ed

Hmmm, yes, Jacobs is very good on post routes in the game.

I just don't get the "one step ahead of everyone" thing. Could you explain how using the Chiefs playbook puts you one step ahead? Thanks.

Hmmm, yes, Jacobs is very good on post routes in the game.

I just don't get the "one step ahead of everyone" thing. Could you explain how using the Chiefs playbook puts you one step ahead? Thanks.

"one step ahead" as far as for next year's playbook. Since we'll probably have alot of the Chiefs style of plays in next years Joe Gibbs playbook. I'm just saying I'll be used to all the Chiefs plays next year since I played with the KC playbook this year.

Archived