Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't America produce a great rock band?

Thanos

Honestly, I don't find them similar to the Doors, Nirvana, Green Day, or the like. I find them VERY different. This is not a debate we should even venture into, as it's totally subject to opinion. But, I might concede they are not a "Rock n' Roll" band (although they do have some songs that fall into that category).

However, this country invented it (Rock n' Roll), and has evolved in music. Other countries still harp on the same style of 80's rock (e.g. Britain). I'm not saying that's an insult. However, I'm saying America isn't "that" into it anymore. Sure, a couple good rock n' roll bands come out, and they have their good album. But not only has hip hop had an influence (whether directly or indiredtly), but so have other styles. Regardless, bands play what people buy. That's why I mentioned Weezer earlier. Despite their talent, they go out of their way to sound like a "garage band". I guess that doesn't necessarily put them into the category of Rock n' Roll, though.

No, they're rock n' roll. They're just not original. They're three chord, prototypical punk rock. And they're really, really good. Just not original.

No, they're rock n' roll. They're just not original. They're three chord, prototypical punk rock. And they're really, really good. Just not original.

Wow, I find it hard to put them into the Punk Rock category. But to each his own. I grew up on punk, and I can honestly say I never would've considered it.

Seems that this country can't produce a great rock band.Let's be real here if Aerosmith is the best we can produce then maybe the Rock& Roll Hall of Fame should be moved to London.

Some great bands.Spot the trend?

Coldplay

Stones

U2

WHO

Radiohead

Kinks

Zepplin

Pink Floyd

Genesis

Police

Look at what we have?

R.E.M

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Bon Freaking Jovi

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Is there a reaosn for this? Rock historians ,please help me out here?:notworthy

REM is better than Coldplay, U2, Genesis or the Police. I'd also probably place them ahead of Zeppelin, Floyd, and the who, but I'm less willing to be so forthright in stating such.

And since when is Genesis considered a "great" rock band and The Doors not.

Any band that released a song as bad as "beverly hills" doesn't deserve to be in consideration for this list. I'm familiar with thier old material and I like it, but I don't care. "Beverly Hills" and everything else I've heard from Make Believe disqualifies them from ever being considered a great band. If the Beatles repertoire was exactly the same as it is now, but you added "beverly hills" they would not be a great band.

Any band that released a song as bad as "beverly hills" doesn't deserve to be in consideration for this list. I'm familiar with thier old material and I like it, but I don't care. "Beverly Hills" and everything else I've heard from Make Believe disqualifies them from ever being considered a great band. If the Beatles repertoire was exactly the same as it is now, but you added "beverly hills" they would not be a great band.

Come on. It's a bad song, but so is What Goes On. So is Rainy Day Women. So are a ton of other songs by great bands.

You are such a goddamned elitist. ;)

REM is better than Coldplay, U2, Genesis or the Police. I'd also probably place them ahead of Zeppelin, Floyd, and the who, but I'm less willing to be so forthright in stating such.

And since when is Genesis considered a "great" rock band and The Doors not.

i think r.e.m. are a great band :notworthy

Rock and Roll is/was obviously an American style of music to begin with. The reason why there are no "great rock bands" anymore is that it's been around too long. There isn't anything new to be done with it. It's the baby boomer form of music, just like jazz was the music of the previous generation. It's still around, but it doesn't figure prominently. Rap/Hip-Hop is the closest thing to it for this generation, but it's a weak form of it. It doesn't have true mainstream appeal, and it's already played out, and just keeps repeating itself. Music in general is at a low ebb, and has been for a long time. Just like Hollywood. It's held captive by its own insular world view. "Pop culture" as a whole is something that needs to be done away with completely IMO.

Come on. It's a bad song, but so is What Goes On. So is Rainy Day Women. So are a ton of other songs by great bands.

You are such a goddamned elitist. ;)

I'm not familiar with "What Goes On," but I like "Rainy Day Women." It might not be up to par with Dylan's best, but it's certainly not awful.

Anyways, the point isn't that a band isn't allowed to produce a bad song. The point a band doesn't become awful because they produced a song that isn't as good as their normal material, or even if they produced one bad song. However, Weezer produced a song that is so so completely awful that it compete's for worst song I've ever heard. I would say a great band could do that, but any good band would be smart enough to after listening to it once, burn the tapes, and never speak of the attrocity again. However Weezer not only put "Beverly Hills" on their album, but they released at as the first single. When you do that with one of the worst songs ever written, I don't think it's unfair to say you're disqualified from ever being considered great.

P.S. - A ">" should never appear in from of "My Humps." However, "My Humps" > "Beverly Hills." And that's sad.

P.S.S. - Even though this is from another argument, I thought I should say I agree that Weezer isn't very original, but I think you'd have a hard time supporting that they are punk. I would say they're kind of a Buddy Holly/Elvis Costello style songwriting, but informed by and filtered through a mind that liked The Pixies and Nirvana. However, with a more clean cut feel.

So what criteria are we going to use to identify a great band? The original question seemed to ask why aren't there any new bands packing arenas. I went with that angle in my first few posts.

I would define a great band/artist as one that is instrumental in inspiring many musicians to pick up an instrument and become good at expressing yourself with it. America has many. So dealing with rock you can name hundreds in this country. Groups and artists like the New York Dolls, Velvet Underground, Aerosmith, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Van Halen, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana etc. have been mentioned.

Looks at the list and obviously no one from the last ten years gets mentioned. Really where can you go with rock music? It's like the blues, how much farther can it be taken? Rock and blues intertwined and has been done to death. We have punk, done to death. We have psychadelic and various forms, overdone. The future of rock music is to become what country music has become. After Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine, there wasn't anywhere to take rock music. So getting back to how rock will be like country: there will be cycles where you go more traditional, more pop, more experimental, but never create something new within the genre. Rock will be this way, innovation is done and now will be about songs. We've had our Blink 182s, White Stripes, Strokes, Audioslaves, Weezers, etc. and rock will continue to survive. It just won't be as innovative or important. It will just be good and that will depend on your taste.

American metal and rock bands do better overseas now then they do in their own country. Metallica fills 15,000 seat arenas here, but in Europe and Japan they play before 10's of thousands. Some great American rock bands are Metallica, Skynyrd. Van Halen to name a few.

As a side note, IMO, Rock has been suffering in America since our population starting listening and buying corporate conjured dreck, and turned from real artists making real music. This pretty much coincides with the birth of MTV, and the like. Music became about the "package" not the music itself.

The corporate artists might be "prettier" and have more "star power," but their music isn't worth the paper it's written on. We live in the era of dime-a-dozen rappers, and manufactured "hit" singles. Unless you have access to the internet, and can get your own information. You get exposed to nothing but what the industry wants you to hear. Their have been only a few great American bands to really emerge in the last couple decades, because just in order to get any exposure you have to sell your soul to industry. Unless your going to make the industry some money, your not getting inside. Nothing orginal gets in, and if it does...it's under-exposed and not promotoed, so it dies a quick death. Remember how Electronic music was supposed to be the next big thing back in the late 90's? Well it didn't sell as well as the industry wanted, so it fizzled out.

It's 'Weezer." And while they're really good, their exclusion from this list isn't because they're not mainstream. I would hardly say VU, the Pixies, etc. were considered mainstream. The reason Weezer doesn't qualify is because they have no influence and little originality. They've put out some awesome music, but nothing that hasn't been done before, like the Doors or Sonic Youth, and nothing that set the path for a generation's worth of music, like Nirvana or Green Day. They took a model that's been done over and over, and did it really well. Cuomo's a masterful songwriter, and they play tight music, but nothing to make them great, in the sense that we're talking about greatness.

Says you.... Who exactly have they patterned themselves after pray tell?Like everyone else you are certianly entitled to your opinion but I have to say that your condesending tone can't be winning you many friends.

Seems that this country can't produce a great rock band.Let's be real here if Aerosmith is the best we can produce then maybe the Rock& Roll Hall of Fame should be moved to London.

Some great bands.Spot the trend?

Coldplay

Stones

U2

WHO

Radiohead

Kinks

Zepplin

Pink Floyd

Genesis

Police

Look at what we have?

R.E.M

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Bon Freaking Jovi

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Is there a reaosn for this? Rock historians ,please help me out here?:notworthy

If that's the best you can come up with then you aren't looking hard enough for great music. It's out there.......you just have to turn off the radio and MTV to find it.

Tool

Melvins

Helmet

RATM

Smashing Pumpkins

AiC

Metallica

Nirvana

FNM/Fantomas (Anything Mike Patton)

Sevendust

Kyuss/QOTSA

White Zombie

Primus

Jane's Addiction

These are all incredible American bands that create(d) amazing/innovative music.

lets get real here. the greatest band should be Nirvana. i mean they were so huge for the time all 3 were together which wasnt even that long. that is what so amazing about Nirvana. imagine if Nirvana was still around. imagine how big the band would be considered right now. probably the greatest ever. the number of albums they put out all were awsome. imagine how many awsome albums they wouldve had by now. nirvana never made a bad album/songs. werent nirvana the first band to do unplugged as well? classic stuff taht was.

Nirvana wouldn't have existed if not for the Melvins. Just a pet peeve of mine that the Melvins are ignored because they don't create "radio friendly" music.

If that's the best you can come up with then you aren't looking hard enough for great music. It's out there.......you just have to turn off the radio and MTV to find it.

Tool

Melvins

Helmet

RATM

Smashing Pumpkins

AiC

Metallica

Nirvana

FNM/Fantomas (Anything Mike Patton)

Sevendust

Kyuss/QOTSA

White Zombie

Primus

Jane's Addiction

These are all incredible American bands that create(d) amazing/innovative music.

Nirvana wouldn't have existed if not for the Melvins. Just a pet peeve of mine that the Melvins are ignored because they don't create "radio friendly" music.

Helmet and White Zombie!!!!!.Great bands??!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived