Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is your hero?

SkinsD

1) My brother. My family doesn't have a lot of cash. My eldest brother lived in van his last two years of law school - he is now a very successful lawyer.

2) Jerry Seinfeld - As an aspiring comedian I look up to none other than the best.

2) Dick Butkus - Anytime I watch his highlights I get goosebumps.

4) Teddy Roosevelt - best prez ever.

My grandfather.

WWII Veteran. Marched from northern Africa to Italy, and finally was there at Omaha Red on D-Day. Came back without a scratch on him. Was diagnosed with epmhysema 20 years ago. Spent the next 13 years taking 36 pills a day and 3 breathing treatments a day. 7 years ago, decided to undergo exploratory lung surgery in which he had a 15% chance of survival and would be lucky to live another 5 years. Having him at my wedding this past October was the greatest gift I could have received. My grandparents just celebrated their 60th anniversary on New Year's day. He's the greatest man I've ever known and am thankful for every day he's been a part of my life.

My grandfather.

WWII Veteran. Marched from northern Africa to Italy, and finally was there at Omaha Red on D-Day. Came back without a scratch on him. Was diagnosed with epmhysema 20 years ago. Spent the next 13 years taking 36 pills a day and 3 breathing treatments a day. 7 years ago, decided to undergo exploratory lung surgery in which he had a 15% chance of survival and would be lucky to live another 5 years. Having him at my wedding this past October was the greatest gift I could have received. My grandparents just celebrated their 60th anniversary on New Year's day. He's the greatest man I've ever known and am thankful for every day he's been a part of my life.

Wow.

I think he's now my hero too.

My hero is the guy/gal that runs into a burning building with no reguard for their own life to save a stranger, my hero is the young man/woman who goes to a foreign land to protect our or somebody else's way of life, my hero is the Dad/Mom that knows that life is hard and things must be done but puts time aside for the child because they know it makes all the difference in the world. My hero's are everyday people that most of us take for granted. To those of you out there, I thank you.

Mufumonk,

Good story. Made me think about my Grandmother.

In 1939, she was in Lodz, Poland, managed to escape two hundred miles on foot through Nazi controlled territory with a six month old infant (my mother). Got to Russia and convinced the Russian authorities under interrogation that she was a citizen who had her papers stolen even though she couldn't speak a word of Russian. Got papers so she could work and have a place to live so the baby could be fed and live. Somehow, survived the war and rebuilt her life. then gave it all up again to take her family to the US, because she believed her children would have a better chance there with better education and be free from anti-semitism.

Mufumonk,

Good story. Made me think about my Grandmother.

In 1939, she was in Lodz, Poland, managed to escape two hundred miles on foot through Nazi controlled territory with a six month old infant (my mother). Got to Russia and convinced the Russian authorities under interrogation that she was a citizen who had her papers stolen even though she couldn't speak a word of Russian. Got papers so she could work and have a place to live so the baby could be fed and live. Somehow, survived the war and rebuilt her life. then gave it all up again to take her family to the US, because she believed her children would have a better chance there with better education and be free from anti-semitism.

Wow, these are some very cool grandparent stories.

They remind me of my grandmother and late grandfather. He was an American soldier and she was a French girl in occupied France. He met her as they were defeating the Germans in WWII and they fell in love. He just died this past spring.

Keep the stories coming!

By far Jesus of Nazareth. What greater sacrifice?

Second has to be my Great Uncle. He served as a crewman on a B17 in WWII. Shot down over occupied France and hid upstairs in a bakery for some time. Said he could see the Germans come in to buy bread through the cracks in the wood floor. Then stole German uniforms and walked right through to the Allied lines. At one point he passed 2 German officers in the middle of the street during the night. Thank God they were drunk!

My parents: They've always instilled in me the value of hard work and every time I've been down, they are always there to pick me up no matter what the situation is.

My grandparents: Though they're divorced, they always come together and I've just learned a lot from them. There is no telling where I'd be without my granny :) She kept me out of a lot of trouble (nothing criminal).

My Cousin: He was in a bad accident that left him paralyzed and he cant talk. He was in a coma for a while. When the accident happened, he was going to see our then very sick grandmother. His mother was told that he wouldnt make it through the night. He's my hero because he's fighting. I think (it may sound crazy) that he has a purpose for being here. His accident has brought the family together and we're closer than we've ever been because in that time frame when he had his accident which was in October, our grandmother died in January so we've bonded more with this accident and her death.

**I'll start with my mother. Lost my father at five to a motorcycle accident. My mom raised three kids, twins (me and my sis) and an older sister by herself. Worked two and three jobs.... got better jobs.... did more work than she should have in order to have the security and pay to raise three children by herself. I never realized we lived nearly from her paycheck to paycheck.... always getting whatever we needed and plenty of food on the table.

**The boys of WWII. The men who ran off of those Higgins Boats into whithering fire...... their chances of survival nill to none.... so that I could enjoy the freedoms I have today. The Boys from Bedford... first landing craft to hit the beach.... 19 of the 21 men ashore killed in the first 10 minutes of landing on Omaha.

**Passenger aboard Flight 93 on 9-11. Took their own lives to prevent a greater loss of life in Washington DC.

The firefighter who runs into a burning building while others a running away.

The police officer who runs into a bank being robbed while others are running away.

The Soldier who runs into a firefight while others are running away.

In short the people who put themselve in dangerous situations, without regard to their own safety, to save people they do not know.

My Mother and father. Dad for many reasons and one of them was his service to his country in Vietnam. He went twice. My mom for staying behind and leading the way.

Then Martin Luther King and Joe Gibbs.

Dad in Vitetnam in 1965

Archived