Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why didn't we consider DG#28 as a CB coach?!?!

timdaley73

1.) We don't know if the Redskins did or did not consider him. We do know that Dewayne Walker was rumored to be up for the job for over a week which gave the Redskins plenty of time to consider a replacement.

2.) DG was a great player with amazing speed, but he has never been a coach. He has mentored plenty of players, but he has not been a coach, so they may have gone with direct experience.

3.) DG may not want to be a coach. There were rumors that he would join the Redskins in some capacity when Gibbs came back but those rumors were unfounded. We don't really know what, if anything, DG wants to do with the Redskins.

4.) Jerry Gray was a former probowl CB, CB coach with the Titans (Blaine Bishop!) and Defensive Coordinator for Buffalo (last 5 years where his defense has ranked #2 both in 2003 & 2004) ... so he was more than qualified and definitely deserving.

Guest GibbSkins11
Darrell Green, even at his current age, is a better corner than Walt Harris a.k.a. "Toast".

walt harris 2 years ago was voted best nickel back in the nfl by the sporting news , he isnt a starter but he can play nickel

Guest GibbSkins11

gregg williams has wanted gray since he came to washington as asst head coach defense , gray is a beast , and green has never been a coach plus i dont think he wants too

1.) We don't know if the Redskins did or did not consider him. We do know that Dewayne Walker was rumored to be up for the job for over a week which gave the Redskins plenty of time to consider a replacement.

2.) DG was a great player with amazing speed, but he has never been a coach. He has mentored plenty of players, but he has not been a coach, so they may have gone with direct experience.

3.) DG may not want to be a coach. There were rumors that he would join the Redskins in some capacity when Gibbs came back but those rumors were unfounded. We don't really know what, if anything, DG wants to do with the Redskins.

4.) Jerry Gray was a former probowl CB, CB coach with the Titans (Blaine Bishop!) and Defensive Coordinator for Buffalo (last 5 years where his defense has ranked #2 both in 2003 & 2004) ... so he was more than qualified and definitely deserving.

exactly..why don't we hire Joe Montana to coach QBs, or Barry Sanders to coach RBs...those guys had talent, not neccessarily easy to be a good coach...this topic is a littel rhetorical

While D.G. was Gifted in raw and recovery speed, he never was a good technition. He was truly unique in that he could make a mistake and recover

to still make a play on the ball. However this is something that can't be taught! I can't see him teacing techniques that he never practiced. Just my opinion. :2cents:

D.G. will be the first one to tell you, ( and he did actually), that he relied more upon his physical abilities than anything else in his first few years in the league. But as you watched him develop over the years and watch his final years, you can see he was as much a technician as he was a physical "specimen". Where he stood,how he used his hands, and especially his use of the sidelines all stood out. Those complimented his physical ability. He knew when to gamble and when not to. One need not be the best player or even the best technician to be a good coach. Sort of a do as I say not as I do or did thing.

D.G. will be the first one to tell you, ( and he did actually), that he relied more upon his physical abilities than anything else in his first few years in the league. But as you watched him develop over the years and watch his final years, you can see he was as much a technician as he was a physical "specimen". Where he stood,how he used his hands, and especially his use of the sidelines all stood out. Those complimented his physical ability. He knew when to gamble and when not to. One need not be the best player or even the best technician to be a good coach. Sort of a do as I say not as I do or did thing.

I feel you. It would be better to have a coach that was a successful player that did not have the skills of a Darrell Green, IMO. That would mean that he relied more heavily on his skills and intelligence than his physical abilities.

Archived