Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cap may extend to 110 million

Westbrook36

This is nothing like MLB. Remember if the cap goes up so do players salaries. You don't think that a FA would ask for the same amount of money with a 110m cap that he would with a 86m cap. It would be similar to the way it is now but with higher average salaries. It's good for the players that are already locked up in current contracts, but all new contracts will reflect the higher cap.

The Colts will have some money to spend with the new cap, but let's see them beat something creative like a five year, $27 million contract, all guaranteed with the some incentives to boot.

The first incentive being Joe Gibbs of course followed by Clinton Ports and Santana Moss.

IF this happens.. I dont think we should break the bank on ne one.. we dont wanna mess up chemistry.. Why hire someone thats just as good as Santana or Springs persay and offer them more to come here because we can now.. wouldnt that be kinda upset n disrespectfull to our players? I say we lock up our key players for a long time and use the higher salary to put most of there signing bonus and stuff like that into next year... so we dont have to worry about being in cap hell and when we need to sign a key FA in future years.. we dont have to worry about so many restructuring because most of the signing bonus will have taken place on that extended cap year

Lock up Sean Taylor

Lock up Jon Jansen

Lock up Randy Thomas

Lock up Santana

Lock up Ryan Clark

Lock up Chris Cooley

Lock up Washington

Lock up everyonneeee!! WHOOOO! Redskins baby!

Lock up Sean Taylor

Lock up Jon Jansen

Lock up Randy Thomas

Lock up Santana

Lock up Ryan Clark

Lock up Chris Cooley

Lock up Washington

Lock up everyonneeee!! WHOOOO! Redskins baby!

Not a bad idea. However, I think some of those guys you list there have basically brand new deals.

Specifically, Washington and S. Moss are only a year or two into brand new deals.

Thomas is three years in so he could potentially be reworked.....although I believe he allready has a pretty damn good deal for a guard.

More than anything I would guess that a larger cap number would allow the Skins the flexibility to keep guys with larger cap numbers that may be on the bubble such as Ramsey and Walt Harris.

No, it wouldn't. You realize this means higher ticket prices and higher concession prices, don't you?

I don't think that follows. The cap is a percentage of league revenues. What the players and owners are currently arguing about is what the pool will be and what the percentage of the pool will go to players. Currently 'local' revenues, which includes concessions and luxury boxes, are not part of the pool. The new deal will probably change that. So raising ticket prices and concessions will raise the cap and the amount the owners will have to spend on salaries, and only moderately, if at all, help the bottom line. What is driving the cap up is the enormous TV deals the NFL is getting.

I don't think that follows. The cap is a percentage of league revenues. What the players and owners are currently arguing about is what the pool will be and what the percentage of the pool will go to players. Currently 'local' revenues, which includes concessions and luxury boxes, are not part of the pool. The new deal will probably change that. So raising ticket prices and concessions will raise the cap and the amount the owners will have to spend on salaries, and only moderately, if at all, help the bottom line. What is driving the cap up is the enormous TV deals the NFL is getting.

Exactly. The only teams that might see large increases in ticket prices and concessions would be the smaller market teams that don't turn profits as high as the Skins do.

Does anyone else think this is just necessary? I mean it's kind of like a "cost of living increase" if you get me. Players salaries are just naturally gonna get more and more expensive over time. So every 10 years or so (maybe more maybe less) the league just ups the cap. Or do you feel that it should just stay where it is, and players should learn to accept less.

I feel it's necessary every few years, 10-12 range, to up it a little.

Does anyone else think this is just necessary? I mean it's kind of like a "cost of living increase" if you get me. Players salaries are just naturally gonna get more and more expensive over time. So every 10 years or so (maybe more maybe less) the league just ups the cap. Or do you feel that it should just stay where it is, and players should learn to accept less.

I feel it's necessary every few years, 10-12 range, to up it a little.

Historically it has gone up every year. Its tied to revenues. As long as they go up the cap will. The negotiations over the CBA are to increase the percentage of revenues the cap limit is derived from.

Archived