Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The origin of Mark Brunell in a skins uniform

supersmartbrunell5

I know, and it is a pretty tired act, but you are wrong most of those things simply just aren't interesting, no matter how many times they are posted. The reason I keep posting it is because every redskins fan I know in real life feels the same way as I do, especially every non-redskin fan that watches the games and I don't see how so many people on here think it's dumb to speak out against him. Why can't I bash Brunell though, There's thousands of members, can't I have a niche. I think it sparks the most interesting and diverse debate. Notice how everyone on here prefaces everything before they say stuff i.e. "look guys, I love ______ player, but maybe we should consider this" because you get bashed for thinking outside the box, its sad.

thats funny. you dont need a niche. when you continually bash a player, deserved or not you look like someone with an agenda.

"The reason I keep posting it is because every redskins fan I know in real life feels the same way as I do, especially every non-redskin fan that watches the games and I don't see how so many people on here think it's dumb to speak out against him."

two questions, how many Skins fans are in huntington beach? and who the HELL cares what non-Skins fans say? there were but a mere few teams that finished better than us this year. AND if we had a legitimate # 2 WR things probably would have been different. Brunell certainly is older and by no means the best in the nfl but the man played hard for us. especially after the bashing he took following the 2004 season. look at his numbers. its easy to say "if he could roll right, if he didnt throw the ball away" if if if . if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Brunell didnt throw a lot of picks and lead us to the playoffs. you may want him replaced but good lord, give him credit for what he DID do. whether he starts next year or not is frankly NOT UP TO US. we will deal with that game one 2006. for now we should be thankful we made it to the playoffs, and as much as you may not like it, Brunell lead us there.

thats funny. you dont need a niche. when you continually bash a player, deserved or not you look like someone with an agenda.

"The reason I keep posting it is because every redskins fan I know in real life feels the same way as I do, especially every non-redskin fan that watches the games and I don't see how so many people on here think it's dumb to speak out against him."

two questions, how many Skins fans are in huntington beach? and who the HELL cares what non-Skins fans say? there were but a mere few teams that finished better than us this year. AND if we had a legitimate # 2 WR things probably would have been different. Brunell certainly is older and by no means the best in the nfl but the man played hard for us. especially after the bashing he took following the 2004 season. look at his numbers. its easy to say "if he could roll right, if he didnt throw the ball away" if if if . if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Brunell didnt throw a lot of picks and lead us to the playoffs. you may want him replaced but good lord, give him credit for what he DID do. whether he starts next year or not is frankly NOT UP TO US. we will deal with that game one 2006. for now we should be thankful we made it to the playoffs, and as much as you may not like it, Brunell lead us there.

First of all, I've lived in Huntington Beach for 6 months, I grew up in VA and lived there my whole life. This is America, people do move around. Why bring up non-skins fans? Well, I happen to think that extremely knowledgable fans of football that like another team are better at evaluating your qb than yourself who is naturally biased. To even question my credibility is retarded. The whole #2 WR is legit but not the end-all as well considering there have been numerous posts on here saying that if you actually go to the games receivers are open down the field but Brunell doesn't have the arm or guts to get it there. I will give him credit for having a few good games and usually coming up with a few crucial plays sprinkled in to his bad games. His body of work though was pretty poor and instead of thanking my lucky stars for making it to the playoffs, I saw this team having everything it took, plus breaks in Seattle to make it to the NFCCG, if Brunell and playcalling didn't hold them back. But overally your argument is pretty weak so I won't spend any more time writing this.

To quote honorary ES member Jay-Z, "Jigga, please."

No one gets bashed for thinking out of the box. People get bashed for redundant crap such as your threads on Brunell. If you had an innovative argument and posted an article from the last few days or even the last few months--then maybe, people would want to entertain your perspective. But you haven't. You posted an article that was posted on the message board 2 and 1/2 years ago. So, not only did you not use the search function before posting, but you also didn't provide new content.

Rundancy adds nothing--be it positive or negative in tone and content.

I agree I have mainly only centered on one topic, but I thought it was a little bit out of the box to dig up what scouts and other teams thought about Brunell before he came to the Redskins. I think that is more out of the box than the saturated discussions of his play last year. Plus, what would the almighty search function have done? I was using the link as a reference to make a new point. I thought it was relevant to take a step back and see how the jags handled Brunell with a new QB coming in. He was thrown into the fire the first year rather than Brunell starting, now we have a QB who has been on the bench for a year about to sit again for a guy that no team wanted and is 3 years older than when the articles was posted.

First of all, I've lived in Huntington Beach for 6 months, I grew up in VA and lived there my whole life. This is America, people do move around. Why bring up non-skins fans? Well, I happen to think that extremely knowledgable fans of football that like another team are better at evaluating your qb than yourself who is naturally biased. To even question my credibility is retarded. The whole #2 WR is legit but not the end-all as well considering there have been numerous posts on here saying that if you actually go to the games receivers are open down the field but Brunell doesn't have the arm or guts to get it there. I will give him credit for having a few good games and usually coming up with a few crucial plays sprinkled in to his bad games. His body of work though was pretty poor and instead of thanking my lucky stars for making it to the playoffs, I saw this team having everything it took, plus breaks in Seattle to make it to the NFCCG, if Brunell and playcalling didn't hold them back. But overally your argument is pretty weak so I won't spend any more time writing this.

oh i see the real you has surfaced. allow me to clarify. i asked how many Skins fans were in hunt. beach because i was curious if there were many or few. your argument regardin other teams fans rating your QB as you are biased seems to make sense at first, but think about it. in many cases they dont know enough about a team that they dont follow or even could be just as biased against your team as you are for. hell they could even be biased against you personlly, just as i am towards friends that root fro ny or philly. i always slant my critiques of their teams players. you should be able to decide your own opinion for yourself based on facts, not what other fans or especially other teams fans say. that sir is incredibly weak.

when a Gibbs football team loses they lose as a team. coming down the stretch our physical style started taking its toll on us. Portis was banged up, Thomas broke an ankle, Springs had the recurring groin, Ray Brown is 42 freakin years old, your boy Brunells knee was hurtin, Wynn broke an arm (which looked aweful BTW). Thrashs thumb was broken. Patten was on IR. add that to the fact that Brown could not catch a cold and it is plain to see where the problem was.

you want to lay it all at Brunells feet and that is a sorry analysis to say the least. could he have looked more and better down field? SURE but that is ONE component. he still scrambled for some nice first downs, even after his injury.

the fact of the matter is the Skins went as far as they possibly could have with the personel and injuries that they had. look how inept the seachickens made carolina look.

So when Gibbs tells the fans that Brunell is a smart QB, You think he's lying to us?

Come on...nobody think Gibbs is a liar. Some people just think that Brunell isn't the best person for the job. He played not to lose and he did a decent job of it, but he was far from what "lead" us to the playoffs.

Yeah you know what, I'm wrong about message boards apparently. I always thought it was a progressive place to talk about contreversial issues with the team or future decisions, or what goes right and wrong in a game or with a team, but apparently it is to praise the status quo, discuss non-threatening topics in a one-line response with smileys and a lot of exclamation points, and have faith in whatever happens, not having an opinion but just proclaiming yourself stupid and going after those that don't agree with you.

I dont know about the message boards but you couldnt be any more right about Brunnell....Saying Brunnell is horrible is a complement to him. Worst excuse for a Redskin QB I have ever witnessed.

oh i see the real you has surfaced. allow me to clarify. i asked how many Skins fans were in hunt. beach because i was curious if there were many or few. your argument regardin other teams fans rating your QB as you are biased seems to make sense at first, but think about it. in many cases they dont know enough about a team that they dont follow or even could be just as biased against your team as you are for. hell they could even be biased against you personlly, just as i am towards friends that root fro ny or philly. i always slant my critiques of their teams players. you should be able to decide your own opinion for yourself based on facts, not what other fans or especially other teams fans say. that sir is incredibly weak.

when a Gibbs football team loses they lose as a team. coming down the stretch our physical style started taking its toll on us. Portis was banged up, Thomas broke an ankle, Springs had the recurring groin, Ray Brown is 42 freakin years old, your boy Brunells knee was hurtin, Wynn broke an arm (which looked aweful BTW). Thrashs thumb was broken. Patten was on IR. add that to the fact that Brown could not catch a cold and it is plain to see where the problem was.

you want to lay it all at Brunells feet and that is a sorry analysis to say the least. could he have looked more and better down field? SURE but that is ONE component. he still scrambled for some nice first downs, even after his injury.

the fact of the matter is the Skins went as far as they possibly could have with the personel and injuries that they had. look how inept the seachickens made carolina look.

First of all, I understand your argument about non-skins fans but only threw that in as a caveat. That makes up about 1% of my opinion. My friends who I describe don't get their team's games and watch the skins objectively and have good conversation about the game, not the razzing of eagles and giants fans (which i do as well). I watch every game DVR them and rewatch them, read every insider, post, times article and watch every clip from redskins.com, I've watched every game for years and watching Brunell is painful. I agree with your take on injuries, though every team has injuries, the depth of the o-line was exposed and we were thin at receiver. I do however think we could've stole that game from Seattle, they lost the LEAGUE MVP (more important than a line-man or james thrash) and we got 3 turnovers. I think the playcalling and horrible offensive line play was as much to attribute the loss to as Brunell's errant throws and lack of awareness in staying in the pocket. But I am talking about a season, and people forget about the fumbles this year and that all his tds were 4 yard tosses to Mike Sellers and Cooley. There is no denying Brunells fear in the pocket and lack of physical tools. All I'm saying is hopefully next year we don't make the same mistake twice.

Brunell has had his highs and lows this season but I think that the coaching staff is trying to use him for as long they can while properly grooming Campbell. Is this to say that Brunell gets the nod next year, not at all, but I will give credit to Brunell for at least turning himself (not the team) around from the disgusting performance that he displayed in year 1. I understand the article about the other teams not wanting him, and believe me, I too had my doubts when we first signed him, but I think thats more of a testament to Gibbs for being able to see that Brunell could still produce despite all the injuries (I dont know how he saw that by the way).

The whole issue about Campbell or Brunell will, for now at least, be nothing more than opinions, speculation etc. However since every one else stated their opinion I guess I will do the same. I think that the QB situation will be decided deep into TC and when its all done I would like to see Campbell get the start with Brunell being more than a capable backup.

Yeah you're right, maybe I should post a "the media sucks, we'll get em" or "carson palmer for Lavar" or "thanks for the great season guys" threads, those are so exciting.
What you should do is post your comments on one of the existing threads with the exact same topic.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1603037

Noone else in the league wanted him, not even as a backup, until the Skins stepped in and decided to give up a 3rd round pick and $47 million contract to get the old man. Now he's in DC, 3 years older and "not-mistaking" (which is code for not making plays, and fumbling not showing up on stat sheets)his way through the regular season and giving people JUSSST enough to say start him again. He made some plays this year, but he is definitely done. Well, I'll get ripped by the Brunell homers on this board surely, but read this article, watch 12 out of 16 games last year and tell me I'm wrong. Hand over the QB reigns, don't make us sit through another rollout/screenpass/no intermediate passing game/no chance in the playoffs with this guy year. BENCH BRUNELL. Screw loyalty, he's been a redskin 1 year, (I don't count those first 8 games of 2004 as him being in the game, we played with 10 men). Get fresh legs in there, put Campbell in a position to succeed, not come in week 9. BENCH BRUNELL. WHO'S WITH ME!?

i'm with you, brunell is dirt

why do people say without Brunell then Redskins would not have made the playoffs? They only made the playoffs because of pounding the football the last 5 games and good defense that created short feilds. The only game in two yrs that you can say Brunell won was the first Dallas game. And he was awful the whole game before those two tds

:laugh:

Best line of the thread. That's exactly the way I felt in 04 too.

Brunell played much better this past season but he reverted back to 04 levels as the season wore on. My only question is, if Brunell is the starter again, why will this be any different next year? A 36 year old Brunell won't wear down?

I'm glad Al Saunders is on board, he'll bring a fresh set of eyes to the situation and if Mark Brunell is indeed the best man for the job in 06 so be it but at least it won't be handed to him. I believe Al Saunders will give Jason Campbell a shot to win the job in training camp.

How do you know? Big Ben went 15-1 with a good defense and running game, why couldn't one of our younger guys with talent have done that? If your goal is to get to the playoffs every year that's fine but mine is to get to and win superbowls, think Mark is gonna do that?

How many first year or second year QB's start off like Big Ben has? The answer, maybe 3 or 4, EVER. 99.9999% of young qb's coming into the league and have to go through major growing pains. It's pretty ignorant to assume that a qb who had only one good year in college could take a team further than a seasoned vet, who just happened to take us into the second round of the playoffs. Ramsey maybe could have but I seriously doubt it. It didnt make since to put Ramsey in after we drafted Campbell because Ramsey still has to get through some of those growing pains. Obviously Brunell was the best option, or do you know more than our HOF Coach?

Something that all these Brunell bashers seem to forget, and how they forget this is beyond me, that Coach Gibbs won two of his three Super Bowls with average QB's. Williams was in the twilight of an average career and Rypien never did anything after he won his Super Bowl. Even Theisman wasnt a 'great' qb, but definately better than Williams or Rypien. Its absolutely absurd to place the blame on Brunell for not going to the SB this year. I havent looked at the stats but I would venture to say that if you compared Brunells '05 stats to the stats of Williams, Rypien and Theisman in their SB seasons, you wouldnt see much difference. And thats damn impressive as far as Im concerned, considering we had one reciever all year plus all the injuries by the end of the season. After D. Patten, Thrash and R. Thomas went down, we were totally transparent on offense. All our opponents had to do to stop us was stack the line and double Santana, which is what they did. We had no options toward the end. We all need to relax and let the coaches do their jobs. All you Brunell bashers just may get your wish at the start of '06 but only the coaches can determine that. I have faith that whoever is playing qb next year will be the right decision.

This is a good topic. I'm glad you brought it up, because we haven't discussed this

OVER 1000 TIMES ALREADY!! :doh:

You mean you couldn't find an article any newer bashing Mark?

Don't expect much intelligent debate on this because that's all used up in the previous 999 threads about the same thing.

Also, you should have looked through the threads. There's at least one thread posted every day trashing him and his performance the last 5 or 6 games... And yet Gibbs stuck with him. Wow, that Joe Gibbs must be a real dimwit. Why on earth did Dan Snyder hire HIM???

Brunell for QB in 2007!! :applause:

I agree I have mainly only centered on one topic, but I thought it was a little bit out of the box to dig up what scouts and other teams thought about Brunell before he came to the Redskins.

The three teams mentioned (Jets, Girls, Ravens) in that typical old Lenny "I hate the 'skins anyway and will trash whatever they do" P. article would have had better seasons and made the playoffs this year if they hadn't passed on Mark "The Comback Kid" Brunell :D

Archived