Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yes, it's another Arrington thread, sort of.

feeshta

Before everyone jumps on my case, I did search for this but didn't find much.

I'm just curious what everyone thinks about our options for replacing Lavar if he is cut or traded? Obviously that has not been decided yet, but I'm sure the team is still looking into all eventualities so that they have a plan for however it turns out. There has been a ton of discussion on what will happen to him, but I found very little about how to replace him if he goes. Please don't say we already have the guy, because I don't believe that. Holdman was aweful in that position, and Clemmons seems to be locked into the strong side backup/third down DE role. So what are our options here?

I think for me personally, I'd like to see his replacment be a good middle backer. That way we could move Marshall back to WLB where I think he is a little better suited. Don't get me wrong, he played well at MLB, but he was better at WLB and would have been even better this year with an extra year in the system. I think he could be more of an asset to the team there. The catch in that scenario is finding a good MLB who can be an effective starter for us this year. With all the calls that have to be made, it could be a challenge. We got a little lucky with Pierce, and Marshall had a full year in the system under his belt to help prepare. A rookie might not be prepared to play this year, and good MLB's are difficult to come across in FA as teams generally hold onto them.

We could also leave Marshall in the middle and go after a good WLB.

So what are our other options there? Anyone have any ideas? Players we should look at?

]']it'd be awesome if someone in the tope 5 would have traded for him. get A.J. Hawk (although this will NEVER happen)

AJ Hawk is a bust waiting to happen. He reminds me of Andy Katzohemoyer. I sure I spelled his name wrong, but football fans know who I'm talking about.

AJ Hawk is a bust waiting to happen. He reminds me of Andy Katzohemoyer. I sure I spelled his name wrong, but football fans know who I'm talking about.

I agree...I don't think he'll be a bust, but I don't think he's worth a first-round pick. He will have a solid year for whoever, but it will be by no means spectacular...

Katzenmoyer's head got in the way. He was dumb as rocks. Hawk has a good head on his shoulders and is very very football smart. I don't think he will bust.

To replace Arrington, I can't think of anyone. He has vowed to come back in shape and ready to kick some A. He played well within the system last year and started to show his worth. I think he is going to see the upside of his career beginning this season as a member of the B&G.

I think we should try to re-work Arrington's contract. He's made it very clear that he's more than willing. If we trade him or cut him, we take a nice cap hit, plus then would have to gamble on a replacement who is unfamiliar with Williams.

It is in our best interest to rework the deal and keep Lavar at home.

Ex-redskin Derek Smith could be an option at MLB. He has led the 49ers the last five seasons in tackles.

This guy sucked as a Redskin and got blown five yards back on every play. I would look at the best player available in FA for either a WLB, or MLB. The best player available would decide where Marshall plays. I believe he could still run the defense from the WLB position but I may be wrong.

Ex-redskin Derek Smith could be an option at MLB. He has led the 49ers the last five seasons in tackles.

I don't know Drex, I never liked him...even when he was here. I always remember him for missing alot of tackles because he never seemed to wrap up guys...plus, I think Lamar is doing a fine job. Where's the need to look for another Mike?

I really dont know what to think Lavar is one of my favorite players but he should take a cut and everything should be fine but if he keeps on talking and saying stupid things he should be gone. I know its a 12m cap hit but if there is a rumor he might leave then I guess Gibbs doesnt care about that.

This guy sucked as a Redskin and got blown five yards back on every play. I would look at the best player available in FA for either a WLB, or MLB. The best player available would decide where Marshall plays. I believe he could still run the defense from the WLB position but I may be wrong.

I like the way you think, that was basically the way I was thinking too. Although my wish would be for the best available to be a MLB because I really like Marshall on the weak side.

Just to clarify a bit. I personally hope a deal can be reached that keeps Lavar here. I think that would be the best resolution for the team, but I'm just trying to explore the options on the other side of that deal.

In the draft, I like Hawk, he's a smart and instinctual player who also has pretty good physical skills, but I don't think it's likely we would be in a position to draft him. I also like D'Quell Jackson from Maryland from what I've seen and heard. He's a bit small, but I don't think that's a major concern.

In FA, it looks like the concensous is that Derek Smith is out, but who else is worth a look?

i am entirely FOR keeping lavar for 2 reasons- 1) we will NEVER get a fair value in return for trading him- not even remotely close- no one will give up a high, or even a decent draft pick, remember, lavar was a top 5 pick! 2) as i said before 12 million $$ cap hit- roughyl that is around 13% of the cap for the ENTIRE TEAM. ANYONE AGREE?

12 million dollar cap hit if he is released or traded THIS YEAR. that's a tough pill to swallow.

So was Coles 9 mill. but the front office just chased it with some water.

There are some pretty decent LB's to be had in FA that are better then Holdman. There are also some good young LB's that maybe around when we draft in round 2.

I don't see Marshall moving back to WLB as another person would have to re-learn running the D on the field. Lemar should excellent progress during the season and by the end of the season was making the same adjustments Pierce was making the year before. So I would be a little weary of moving Marshall out of the MLB spot.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Guest GibbSkins11

or hawk is the next zach thomas so we just dont know

So was Coles 9 mill. but the front office just chased it with some water.

There are some pretty decent LB's to be had in FA that are better then Holdman. There are also some good young LB's that maybe around when we draft in round 2.

I don't see Marshall moving back to WLB as another person would have to re-learn running the D on the field. Lemar should excellent progress during the season and by the end of the season was making the same adjustments Pierce was making the year before. So I would be a little weary of moving Marshall out of the MLB spot.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I think that cutting him is something the team will do if they feel it is really the best thing for the team, but they won't do it unless it is really the only option.

I agree that the idea of moving Lamar back outside has it's perils. You would need someone who was a real pro to take over in the middle for that to be the best option. That's the ideal situation though in my mind, just not the easiest to achieve. It brings up a question too. Do you go for a MLB and hope he can adjust quickly enough, or go for a WLB that you can be reasonably sure will at the least be better than Holdman? One is High risk, high reward, the other is lower risk, but lower reward. Well, unless you happen to find a really killer guy at WLB.

Lot's of options. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I dont get those who insist Marshall would be better suited at WLB.

In Arrington's place last year he was almost nonexistant. Now, he didn't make the boneheaded plays of say, Holdman. But he still wasn't by any means great as a starter there.

At the MLB spot, he's had a better year than Pierce last year. And yet we want to move him out a position he has been HIGHLY successful at playing. Why? Especially when you can just keep Arrington and bring back the same starting 3 and continue the continuity.

Someone explain this unlogical thought process to me. Marshall needs to be moved out of the spot where he just had a career year why exactly?

How old is he now though?

He is 31. He is not exactly the youngest guy available, but he has produced some decent numbers on a consistent basis over the course of the last several years.

He was just a name that came to mind when perusing the free agent list. David Thornton of the Colts and Ben Leber of the Chargers were two other names that caught my attention at the outside linebacker position if Marshall were to remain at MLB.

Archived