Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I believe within 1-2 years, Our O-line...

Oldskool

will be as good as KC's is at this moment.

Looking at their group, I don't see much of a difference physically between the cast that we currently have and their O lineman.

LOT William Roaf 6'5 320 13th year pro

LOG Brian Waters 6'2 318 6th year pro

C Casey Wiegmann 6'2 285 10th year pro

ROG Will Shields 6'3 320 13 year pro

ROT John Welbourn 6'5 310 7th year pro

They average 6'3.4" 310.6 lbs and 9.8 years in the league

Currently the Skins O line looks like this:

LOT Chris Samuels 6'5 310 6th year pro

LOG Derrick Dockery 6'6 345 3rd year pro

C Casey Rabach 6'4 301 5th year pro

ROG Randy Thomas 6'4 306 7th year pro

ROT Jon Jansen 6'6 306 7th year pro

Redskins average at 6'5" 313.6 lbs and 5.6 years in the league.

Physically we are bigger than the KC line is, and with the exception of Dockery, probably as athletic. There is nothing about KC's O line that makes me think that the Redskins cannot duplicate their effort. I think it comes down to technique and time spent together. I do believe the learning curve with the O line will be 1-2 years because of the 4.2 year (average) experience gap that we have compared to them (KC). I do think that Saunders has some "coaching up" to do with them this offseason to fine tune and tweak the blocking techniques that were used to make Priest Holmes... well.. Priest Holmes.

If there is a move to be made this offseason by the way of the FA, it may be an upgrade at LOG, due to the (relative) unathletic, and large nature of Dockery. Add to the fact that there is little to no depth at the LOG position and a vet becomes a priority. I don't see a O lineman being taken this year but if there is one, it will be late in the draft or a UDFA.

Our o-line had trouble defending a three man pass rush against the seattle seahawks, who don't have a top 5 defensive line.

Can we get better? of course, but to assume that we're going to get there is premature. If better talent becomes available, through the draft or free agency, we should look into it.

Our o-line had trouble defending a three man pass rush against the seattle seahawks, who don't have a top 5 defensive line.

Can we get better? of course, but to assume that we're going to get there is premature. If better talent becomes available, through the draft or free agency, we should look into it.

This is completey due to coaching.

Look at the individuals that anchor this line..

Jansen - Solid

Rabach - Solid

Thomas - Solid

Now look at the individuals that have issues:

Samuels - issues with speed rushers from the outside

Dockery - lacks ideal dexterity to not allow penetration off the line during passing downs and is slow to zone block on running plays.

Samuels issues are coachable. they stem from the mind not the body. Dockery is Dockery. He's a huge, powerful, lumbering ox of a lineman. IMHO he's ill suited for the style of blocking that we currently use and that Saudners used in KC.

That was with a cramping Ray Brown and then a totally ineffective Raymer.

Jansen and Thomas began to click at the beginning of our 5 game run. Before that, there were plenty of people here screaming that Jansen was overpaid and not doing his job. They could trust each other and anticipate what the other was doing. You put someone next to Samuels that showed the quality of play of Randy Thomas and we have a strong O-line. Dockery still has some maturing to do but the longer he plays, I believe he and Samuels will click like Randy and John did.

I would like to see a few more screen or draw plays to Portis, to keep the pass rush in check. The WR screens don't take any pressure of the pass rush which opens our OL to blitzes every down. However, if we go ground and pound, we'll need more depth on the OL as witnessed in the Seattle game.

I agree with the original thread especially when you consider that this team as a whole has not had more than 2 yrs of consistency with a coaching staff until now so its about right to believe that the line will show significant improvement starting next year.

This is completey due to coaching.

Look at the individuals that anchor this line..

Jansen - Solid

Rabach - Solid

Thomas - Solid

Now look at the individuals that have issues:

Samuels - issues with speed rushers from the outside

Dockery - lacks ideal dexterity to not allow penetration off the line during passing downs and is slow to zone block on running plays.

Samuels issues are coachable. they stem from the mind not the body. Dockery is Dockery. He's a huge, powerful, lumbering ox of a lineman. IMHO he's ill suited for the style of blocking that we currently use and that Saudners used in KC.

I agree with this assessment. I think Dockery would be ideal as our 6th lineman and I would love to plug Hutchinson in there even though that is unlikely. We probably need to pick up a guard in FA or the draft and let Dockery fight for it.

Good thread. I was just thinking yesterday that the consistent factor in most of this year's playoff games was that the best offensive line won. That included our loss to seatle.

I doubt that any of our starters will change, but we need at least 2 new backups. Make or break training camp for Wilson & Molinaro.

You've got to admit that our O line was much improved over last year, and improved steadily this year until Thomas went down. Raymer and Brown will move on.

Jansen and Thomas began to click at the beginning of our 5 game run. Before that, there were plenty of people here screaming that Jansen was overpaid and not doing his job. They could trust each other and anticipate what the other was doing. You put someone next to Samuels that showed the quality of play of Randy Thomas and we have a strong O-line. Dockery still has some maturing to do but the longer he plays, I believe he and Samuels will click like Randy and John did.

I would like to see a few more screen or draw plays to Portis, to keep the pass rush in check. The WR screens don't take any pressure of the pass rush which opens our OL to blitzes every down. However, if we go ground and pound, we'll need more depth on the OL as witnessed in the Seattle game.

What? Nobody got on Jansen this year? The guy played the first six weeks with broken thumbs. :(

I think that we have the potentially one of the best o-line's in the league (if the five of them can stay healthy). I think that a new blocking scheme will be good in helping with the speed rushers, and that we will be able to open more and bigger holes for Portis.

Part of this was due to Cory Raymer playing guard.

Just let ol' Buges coach em, and let them develope the chemistry they need to be sucessful. They'll be solid, mark my words.
You took the post I was about to write right out of my head. Im glad for the Saunders pick up but I think Bugel would have this group clicking anyway. They got nicked up and worn out by Seattle but dominated the last 5 games of the season.

Good thread. I was just thinking yesterday that the consistent factor in most of this year's playoff games was that the best offensive line won. That included our loss to seatle.

I doubt that any of our starters will change, but we need at least 2 new backups. Make or break training camp for Wilson & Molinaro.

You've got to admit that our O line was much improved over last year, and improved steadily this year until Thomas went down. Raymer and Brown will move on.

Who is this Wilson you speak of?

September 3 OL Mark Wilson Released

And to all the Dockery haters out there, you remind me of Brunell haters who watched him lead the team to 6 straight wins.

Dockery is the whipping boy now the way Ade Jimoh was 2 years ago. Wait and see.

Archived