Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An end to smash mouth football for the skins?

Isifhan

I've read most of the posts about Saunders and I don't think this really has been addressed. First let me say that I'm totally in support of the move to bring in Saunders. One thing does have me wondering though.

We spent almost the entire season searching for an "identity" on the offense. We finally found that when we rededicated to the run after the 5-6 mark. We all know the NFC east is typically a smashmouth conference, none of that fancy trickery here (well except for Parcells ever so present flea flicker).

So I guess my question is how much are we going to move away from that? Are we still going to be a run first team that sets up the pass? Saunders MO seems to be he has no MO. He'll pass when we are supposed to run and run when we are supposed to pass. I don't think there will be a complete overhaul on the way our offense works. It's been addressed in other threads that he'll probably just tweak our offense but I'm still curious if that tweak will casue us to move away from the identity we've established over the past 7 games.

not an end to smash mouth footbal, but an end to unbalanced play calling

Saunders believes in a balnced attack, 50/50

we were attacking defenses 50/50 the first half the season, then went to a more 70/30 run to pass play split

everything worked better for us when we ran more than we passed, I'm guessing Saunders is being brought in to make us just as effective through the air

Saunders believes in setting up the run with the deep pass, but not to the extreme that teams like Philly or STL did

balanced attack, pass to setup the run, the main differences

people feared us this year in december. Now they will fear us all season long. Add a free agent receiver to complement Moss and we WILL NOT be stopped! We will finally see Portis get those big runs that he is known for, with 200 yards games. Look at the history of the running backs Saunders has coached. It doesnt matter who is in there at running back, they are ALWAYS unstoppable!

we were attacking defenses 50/50 the first half the season, then went to a more 70/30 run to pass play split

On the year, we ran 525 rushing plays and 481 passing plays. That is not a huge difference from the 520/507 that KC ran. Granted, they were a touch closer to 50/50 than we were but with their defense the offense knew it had to play lights out every week which means more passing. They also ran a few more plays than the Skins did.

I am hoping one change we see is Portis get more balls thrown to him out of the backfield AND as a slot receiver :)

That way you get Portis in space and give him the opportunity to make big plays but you reduce the wear and tear by SLIGHTLY reducing the number of his carries from scrimmage.

Larry Johnson is a beast. If we didn't have the backs we have now, I'd love for him to be a Redskin. After watching all the Chiefs games this season, I don't know how anyone can NOT be excited by this move. Saunders will definitely help this offense. I agree that this hire can't hurt the running game.

You'll see. ;) (I hope!) :)

some posters here don't seem to recognize that Gibbs and Saunders go way back together and are in fact good friends. people are under the mistaken assumption that Saunders is a stranger coming to DC of whom Gibbs and the staff won't have a clue as to how he will act or want to program the offense.

Archived