Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Saunders Save Jacobs Career?

Khun Kao

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What does everyone think?

To most of us, Taylor Jacobs has been a huge bust. He's had, perhaps, 3 memorable plays in a Redskins uniform, and I can only remember two. What's that? One play worth remembering per season?

But, in all seriousness, what does everyone think? Can Saunders revitalization of our offense finally put Jacobs in position to make the plays in real games that all the coaches and players seem to think he can in practice?

its not like jacobs hasnt had a chance to shine in this offense though is it?

hes been playing under gibbs a great offensive mind im sure gibbs gave him enough chances to make a play but jacobs didnt deliver

i dont think saunders will make much of a difference,everyones forgetting gibbs and saunders have similar minds on offence,from watching jacobs he didnt have the best of hands n neither got much separation.thats 2 things saunders cant change really

Yes, but take into consideration the types of plays Gibbs was calling for our receivers. Many of you have said that most of the plays called were straight runs up the sidelines. Perhaps a different play selection will benefit Jacobs abilities?

C'mon, Gibbs and the other players RAVE over him.... There must be SOMETHING there, even if we're not seeing it yet....

I really have no clue what to think of Taylor Jacobs at this point. I guess we just sit back and let the coaches do their jobs. He's not making that much, so maybe another training camp. Can Saunders save him? The production he got out of a bum like Eddie Kennison makes me think it's possible.

So how do we know Jacobs is a crappy receiver? He's had injury problems that have severely limited his ability. And it's not like this is the most prolific offense in the world. He started the year as the 4th WR and by the end he had the 4th most catches out of all the WRs, doesn't that kind of tell you something. He fit right in with his role. How many opportunities has he really had to showcase himself in actual games. When you have Brunell back there locking on to Santana the whole game it's hard to figure out what your other WRs have, if anything. So how much is on the QB? Brunell doesn't have the best arm and tends to play scared, if you ask me, so he won't fit the ball into tight places. So at times Jacobs might be "open" enough where certain QBs who ride the bench could get him the ball, but not "open" enough for Brunell to fit it in there.

It's not like Thrash was setting the world ablaze when he was in there as the 3rd WR. He had all of 3 more catches than Jacobs this year. And Thrash was the #2 guy for a lot of that time. So you gonna get rid of him too. I think between Patten, Thrash, and Jacobs, the Redskins will get what they need out of the #3 WR/Slot guy. The question will be who is numero duo behind Moss.

And if Saunders can run that offense in KC with Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker, and Dante Hall, I'm sure that Moss, Patten, Thrash, and Jacobs will do very well under the tutelage of Mr. Saunders...

With Patten and sometimes Thrash out of the lineup, Jacobs failed to take advantage of his opportunity to make plays in this offense.

He seems like a good guy who apparently works hard in practice. However, he just hasn't got it down on the field.

IMO, I'd be shocked to see him make the team next season.

Taylor is toast. His biggest weakness is that he has no confidence and doesn't play with the same smug attitude that most WR's have to have. It doesn't matter if they are reserved off the field such as Moss/Monk or obnoxious such as T.O./Irvin. That position requires that you believe that you can make anyone covering you look like Billy from Bang cartoons on each play. The fact is that Jacobs has only shown flashes of brilliance in the Spring and unfortunately football is a Fall sport. I'll bet he would look like Steve Smith against the Bears Defense in NFL Europe. He has not been able to gain confidence and exhibit an attitude as though he belongs out there.

To this end, he is toast. He may be invited back to training camp, but he will be on the bubble and I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut.

I am an optimist and for the Skins' sake I hope he finally starts becoming a player. But, until then I'll accept that he was simply a product of the Spurrier system at UF and the reason he was drafted in the first place. I was actually excited that we drafted him because I thought he might do great things. That's what I get for being excited about a Gator (just kidding...sort of).

Archived