Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Portis overused?

I.M. Fletch

I think we all know Clinton Portis is not John Riggins or Gerald Riggs, so my question is...is there anyone else slightly concerned about the number of carries Portis is getting. I mean Eddie George didn't even hold up 10 years taking this kind of pounding so how can Joe Gibbs expect Clinton to get 350 carries a year. I would like to see his carries around 280-310 per year. I really think Ladell and Rock have shown enough to get some spot carries to spell him, and even Nemo and Manuel White could develop. Just a thought.

I completely agree. I think we would be best served giving Portis 18-22 carries a game. That was about his workload in Denver. This way he won't be as beat up at the end of the year. I also think we need to get him more involved in the passing game, since he is so good in open space. We should run more screen plays like the Chiefs did with Holmes in K.C.

Chaz,

That's about what he gets now.

Yeah you are right he averaged exactly 22 rushes per game. But in the last 6 weeks of the regular season he averaged 26.5 carries per game and looked worn down at the end of the season. In the first 10 weeks he averaged 19.3 rushes per game. I think he would be best off at about 20 per week throughout the season. Betts averaged 5.5 carries a game and Rock 1.7. They both proved to be effective when given the opportunity. It does not serve us well to run Portis into the ground and have him worn out come playoff time.

I think we used him about the right amount this season. I don't think him getting worn down was really directly caused by getting more carries. He just took a few real tough shots in a few games towards the end of the season. The horse collar tackle in Philly and his block on someone in Tampa come to mind.

I think we all know Clinton Portis is not John Riggins or Gerald Riggs, so my question is...is there anyone else slightly concerned about the number of carries Portis is getting. I mean Eddie George didn't even hold up 10 years taking this kind of pounding so how can Joe Gibbs expect Clinton to get 350 carries a year. I would like to see his carries around 280-310 per year. I really think Ladell and Rock have shown enough to get some spot carries to spell him, and even Nemo and Manuel White could develop. Just a thought.

If Riggins could carry it 35-40 times a game, why can't Portis? Its just a matter of toughness.

:2cents: I don't think portis is overused. He was prepared for the season by gaining weight and putting on more muscle. He will probably do the same this year. I do think he could be used in the passing game more. Maybe run a play like having portis and betts in the back field then motion portis to the slot while having moss out wide. The defense would not know what to do because that would truly be a triple threat. Almost any play you run out of this formation has to be a success.

I don't think portis is overused. He was prepared for the season by gaining weight and putting on more muscle. He will probably do the same this year. I do think he could be used in the passing game more. Maybe run a play like having portis and betts in the back field then motion portis to the slot while having moss out wide. The defense would not know what to do because that would truly be a triple threat. Almost any play you run out of this formation has to be a success.

Clinton Portis is tough, but so was Earl Campbell and Eddie George and when they were used like this, they only lasted 5-6 quality years. I trust Joe Gibbs, but I think he needs to really make an effort to lighten the load for Portis. And as far as Portis putting on weight. That may help, but it also might not be great...he might have trouble adjusting to carrying added weight since his body is naturally smaller.

I believe so I have said a long time ago that CP is not a back that you can give the ball to 25-30 a game that they will have to alternate bring in Betts, Rock my question is what about Nemo? How does he fit in to the plans or does he at all.

it is not the carries, but the way Portis has re-invented himself as a power runner that is shortening his career. Even at 218 he is not going to be able to hold up if he continues to evince the philosophy that he is now going to lower his shoulder and run guys over.

that is fine on third and 2, but overall, we need to see Portis in space, wide plays to get him lanes to cut back and produce big plays.

I think the advent of a Nehemiah Broughton or other bigger back here can be a key in lightening up the physical load for Portis.

What I envision here is what the Steelers have. A bruising runner in Bettis combined with a playmaking back in Willie Parker and sharing the carriers enough to keep both players fresh for the postseason.

Portis will still be the unquestioned lead back and will get 1,300 yards but if we can get another back up around 500 yards and be the designated short yardage guy, Clinton will be 100% come January and the playoffs.

I think the way Clinton was used was fine, 350 carries averages out at 22 per game roughly, over a season that is fine. If that load ever got more than that then I would worry. I do think we need to use him more in the passing game, he was open a lot this year and caught very few screens if any.

again, I don't think it is the carries but the style we saw in 2005 that may shorten his career. He gained 100 plus yards the last 5 games to power the team to the playoffs but look at his physical condition in the two playoff games. He was physically shot. His shoulders caused him obvious pain and he was in and out of the lineup.

you can tell by the 17 carries he got in the Seattle game, against a suspect Seahawks run defense, that Portis was not near 100% and that Gibbs was trying to find a way to win the game using Clinton in limited doses.

without a functioning passing attack from an injured Brunell and no #2 or #3 receivers the Redskins just didn't have enough to get the job done.

YES

BY the time January comes around next year, the guy will be beat up again IF Joe runs him as hard.

The guy is a warrior which means he ain't gonna back off or ask for less work.

Ideally, we're in a much better position W/L wise mid/late season and Joe rests him some. This year, we had to have it and he came up huge.

But at a price.

I think we have used him a little too much for sure. But it's not really his or Gibbs' fault. Portis said he will rush as many times as he needs to for us to win. During our win streak at the end of the season we were a run-heavy offense. If we can manage a solid #2 WR for next season, we can balance that equation more towards the side of passing so that he won't have to rush more than maybe 20 times a game at the most.

Archived