Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DE: Why no love for...

KirkNC

Why is there such a sense of urgency in many people about the need for DE?

It has been a mantra for so long around here, but is the preformance we are getting with the players today all that poor?

Once the interior DL got healthy we got to see what a finally healthy Daniels can do.

We know what we have in Wynn; a solid run stopper but not much of an edge rusher.

Behind those guys we have young guys with nice upside that are only beganing to develop and none yet in their primes.

Nic Clemons and Demitric Evens both out of UGA.

While that does not speak volumes, I think the that within the DL rotation system the team employs its not a team need. Eventually we will need to find capable replacements for Wynn and Daniels but within a system that utilizes a rotation they have some productive seasons left. And because of that rotation we have guys that are gaining experience and skills.

While we do not have all-pro talent in any individual at DE we do have a nice rotation from workman like guys earning workman like salaries. For me that does not seem so bad.

This year I think is one where the offseason focus should be else where.

The cupboard is bare beyond Santana at WR. That is our most pressing need.

Depth beyond the starting 5 on the OL is non-existant. Gotta adress that with 2/3 bodies that are cabaple of playing in the NFL.

We need a kicker. Someone that can both kick field goals and actually get the ball deep on kick-offs would be a nice change.

Cornerback- we need depth here as well.

All of these I would addess before I would mess with the rotation we have along the DL.

the Redskins in an ideal world would be able to keep Wynn to use on first and second down and then have a younger draft pick or free agent with speed that we can use on the edge on long yardage.

I don't think we need to cut our DLs and start over but rather add a player or two to the mix who show the necessary athleticism.

DE is always a need, but somehow it is always superceded in love by the sexier pick. I'm still rooting for a DE as our first pick and a blue collar wr in free agency. I think our highest priority is to groom a young stud. D line is the one position relatively low on young potential.

I understand what you are saying about our current DE's but we need a pure pass rusher. We cannot pressure QB's without blitzing and that can and did hurt us. To me, that was the difference between our defense being ranked #3 versus #9. Opposing offenses can execute more plays when they do not need to keep a TE in for pass protection. We need some one like Kearse or Freeney that can draw double coverage.

Then we will be rockin!

The lack of concern about the need of defensive end reminds me of the perplexing acceptance and even fervent exuberance about the QB situation if Brunell is starting next year. In both situations, people are content to just sit back and watch as each position has limited upside.

We lost to Seattle because of two main reasons:

In not blitzing, we could not pressure Hasselbeck witht he front four and subsequently, he picked us apart.

When we had the ball, Brunell was ineffective at finding the holes in a Seattle defense that was not what our offense made them seem to be.

The solution to any thinking man would be to replace Brunell with Ramsey or Cambell IF you want to improve upon last years performance, and to upgrade the defensive end positions so that if we are in a situation such as this AGAIN, and unable to blitz effectively, then we can atleast rely on our front four to generate sufficient pressure. We made Hasselbeck look like McNabb out there, I mean seriously.

It doesn't denegrate the current DEs to say we need more speed off the edge. I thought Clemons, of all of them, showed that the best, but if we can regularly generate a pass rush w/4, our blitz becomes that much more lethal. Our DEs did some fine work this year, but we could still use a nice upgrade.

Even without addressing the lack of pass rush we need some new defensive linemen. Our D line is old. Griffin is the youngest starter at 30 next season. We can't expect a bunch of 30 something D linemen to improve next year. We need to bring in some younger talent.

Archived