Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everquest

kevinklein

How am I late? Millions still play it, and I'm asking if anyone on these boards does.

Dreamingwolf is right, EQ1 is a dying game. Right now, I would be surprised if their subscriptions number above 200,000 max and they never had more than a million subscribers at their height, which was about 2 years ago. They have already had to condense servers due to the population dropping. However, that being said, they are still releasing new expansions, so if you are a new to the game you will find yourself extremely behind the curve, would have a hard time finding groups at lower levels (and the game is very group dependent) or a guild.

I no longer play, I do have a few friends who do (our old guild has gone from 30-40 active members to 3). The last couple of expansions have really changed the game, but if you have any questions, I will see if I can answer any.

Honestly tho, I would suggest either WoW, or if you are not intrested in that one, Everquest 2.

I played EQ for a long time, but I hated a lot of the game mechanics. (Anyone remember staring at your spell book?)

I also played Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies (worst game ever) and World of Warcraft.

WoW is the current thing I play, and it is much, much better than EQ.

Dreamingwolf is right, EQ1 is a dying game. Right now, I would be surprised if their subscriptions number above 200,000 max and they never had more than a million subscribers at their height, which was about 2 years ago. They have already had to condense servers due to the population dropping. However, that being said, they are still releasing new expansions, so if you are a new to the game you will find yourself extremely behind the curve, would have a hard time finding groups at lower levels (and the game is very group dependent) or a guild.

I no longer play, I do have a few friends who do (our old guild has gone from 30-40 active members to 3). The last couple of expansions have really changed the game, but if you have any questions, I will see if I can answer any.

Honestly tho, I would suggest either WoW, or if you are not intrested in that one, Everquest 2.

Yes, EQ1 is dying. I don't play it often, but I still play it. You are wrong however...EQ had far more than a million subscribers at its height. It is sad though that they have had ti merge servers.

I'm on The Nameless, which was merged with Innoruuk. Level 70 Mage.

Ultima Online was the best MMORPG I ever played. Best character generation, most player freedom, and serious PvP consequences. Sadly, flashier graphics in newer games did UO in, but I'd probably still be playing it if they could have kept up.

I played EQ for a long time, but I hated a lot of the game mechanics. (Anyone remember staring at your spell book?)

I also played Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies (worst game ever) and World of Warcraft.

Haha i remember trying to memorize a new spell in the Oasis zone only to have a Sand Giant squash my bard. The whole down time in EQ was super annoying, i remember camping Guk with my pally friend so he can get his ghoul bane, we camped for 24 hours straight. I had to skip all my classes that day. :doh:

EQ had to be the worst of my online rpg addictions, even WOW doesn't come close. Probably because how hard it worse to gain levels, and all the shining/colorful equipment. I remember the day i finally got full Rubicite Armor :applause:

Haha i remember trying to memorize a new spell in the Oasis zone only to have a Sand Giant squash my bard. The whole down time in EQ was super annoying, i remember camping Guk with my pally friend so he can get his ghoul bane, we camped for 24 hours straight. I had to skip all my classes that day. :doh:

EQ had to be the worst of my online rpg addictions, even WOW doesn't come close. Probably because how hard it worse to gain levels, and all the shining/colorful equipment. I remember the day i finally got full Rubicite Armor :applause:

Yeah - EQ was the worst for camping too. Damn I hated that.

I'm really enjoying WoW because you can play for an hour and actually do something.

Ultima Online was the best MMORPG I ever played. Best character generation, most player freedom, and serious PvP consequences. Sadly, flashier graphics in newer games did UO in, but I'd probably still be playing it if they could have kept up.

Except for the griefing, I agree with you. It was so easy to grief people, and the game mechanics really really favored being a complete jerk bandit bully.

Trammel was the downfall of UO. They removed every shred of skill involved in pvp when UO:R was released.

Except for the griefing, I agree with you. It was so easy to grief people, and the game mechanics really really favored being a complete jerk bandit bully.

You've got to be kidding me. It's all about Risk vs Reward and UO offered that till UO:R went in. They made it so any idiot with broadband, a warhammer and 100 dex could PVP. OSI ended up catering to the EQ crowd and made it so there was zero risk to pvp. The day they got rid of Hally Mages is the day that UO died.

You've got to be kidding me. It's all about Risk vs Reward and UO offered that till UO:R went in. They made it so any idiot with broadband, a warhammer and 100 dex could PVP. OSI ended up catering to the EQ crowd and made it so there was zero risk to pvp. The day they got rid of Hally Mages is the day that UO died.

I only played it early on. For example, if you were a miner, as soon as you had a bunch of ore, it was three guys appear yelling "Corp Por" all around you. No risk for them, lots of reward. As soon as you came out of a cave - same thing. The game favored ambushes then, not PvP.

You want good PvP mechanics - Shadowbane had that big time, once they got the initial bugs out.

Yeah - EQ was the worst for camping too. Damn I hated that.

I'm really enjoying WoW because you can play for an hour and actually do something.

Still WoW is starting to gear to the uber boss mode that EQ perfected. Getting real bored with the endless MC, BW Lair runs (well once i got all epic hunter gear :silly: ). Leading raids is a pain. Only encounter that's exciting are the out door raid bosses where you have to watch out for Horde players.

PVP needs a shot in the arm, they need to incorporate Shadowbane's guild vs guild warfare where you can actually build towns/shops/castles and take over them.

I only played it early on. For example, if you were a miner, as soon as you had a bunch of ore, it was three guys appear yelling "Corp Por" all around you. No risk for them, lots of reward. As soon as you came out of a cave - same thing. The game favored ambushes then, not PvP.

You want good PvP mechanics - Shadowbane had that big time, once they got the initial bugs out.

There were ways to avoid getting pk'd. I never had problems with it and I ran solo for a long period of time before I started playing with a guild. And if I did manage to get pk'd, I simply res'd and went somewhere else. As long as you banked frequently, getting pk'd should never have been a problem. And it's not like the game wasn't designed to allow you to fight back. Everyone had the ability to fight with a well played build because there was actually an element of skill back then.

Shadowbane's pvp system is/was horrible. It promoted gobbling up any small'ish sized guild and becoming one gigantic hand holding hugfesting blob. And there is zero skill in fighting another guild when you outnumber them 5-1 but that's what SB catered to.

The best pvp system out there after UO went to **** was AC: Darktide. That was truly a risk vs reward system. You had the ability to effect another monarch's gametime by locking down and controlling cities and leveling spots.

With any luck, Dark and Light will offer something that resembles this. So far, playing in the beta, it looks very promising. That is of course if they can manage to keep their servers stable.

Still WoW is starting to gear to the uber boss mode that EQ perfected. Getting real bored with the endless MC, BW Lair runs (well once i got all epic hunter gear :silly: ). Leading raids is a pain. Only encounter that's exciting are the out door raid bosses where you have to watch out for Horde players.

PVP needs a shot in the arm, they need to incorporate Shadowbane's guild vs guild warfare where you can actually build towns/shops/castles and take over them.

The only thing that would make WoW exciting is a true pvp server. Eliminate all safe zones and allow you to make characters from either horde or alliance and still be guilded. Make everyone a target.

You sound like me -

Ultima Online, Anarachy Online (which is actually gotten very good as of late, with mechs being added soon, the character models just annoy me too much), Shadowbane (Beta), City of Heroes, DAOC, SWG (blech), EQ, EQ2, EVE (beta) and now WoW.

To me, WoW is more like a sequel to EQ1 than EQ2 is - the best of EQ with many of the annoying problems fixed (grind is better, etc).

You sound like me -

Ultima Online, Anarachy Online (which is actually gotten very good as of late, with mechs being added soon, the character models just annoy me too much), Shadowbane (Beta), City of Heroes, DAOC, SWG (blech), EQ, EQ2, EVE (beta) and now WoW.

To me, WoW is more like a sequel to EQ1 than EQ2 is - the best of EQ with many of the annoying problems fixed (grind is better, etc).

I'm old school - I was a beta tester for Meridien 59, the first 3d MMORPG.

<<< geek

Archived