Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

King's Comments on Skins

macnoke03

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/01/16/mmqb.real/index.html?cnn=yes

8. Washington (11-7). Sean Taylor is not a good football player. He is a great football player. Not only does he hit like a heavyweight fighter, he also chases down plays everywhere. Being around the Seahawks last Thursday and Friday, you could just tell the immense respect they have for the guy. "He's one safety I just can't get a read on before the snap,'' Hasselbeck told me. Even if you could, he'd knock your block off.

j. Redskins seemed awful blasé about losing a winnable game.

k. Clinton Portis was just too beat up to be great on Saturday

I think this year S.Taylor arrived on the scene.

Hopefully next year he will make the Pro Bowl...i think he earned the respect ON the field. Hopefully the legal issues...spitting incident will take a back seat.

If he gets out of his legal issues coming up in a couple weeks.

I think this year S.Taylor arrived on the scene.

Hopefully next year he will make the Pro Bowl...i think he earned the respect ON the field. Hopefully the legal issues...spitting incident will take a back seat.

He had one heck of a year, without off season workouts. Now if he gets past his trial he can report to Ashburn. He can work on his craft and start working towards Canton. I'm looking for DPOY out of him next year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/01/16/mmqb.real/index.html?cnn=yes

8. Washington (11-7). Sean Taylor is not a good football player.

What is this guy talking about? Is he serious? he is the biggest Redskin hater on the planet!

Ok, so I took that quote out of context. Big deal. This guy sucks, but it should be noted that anyone who sees Sean Taylor play in person knows that he is the dominant player on the field. He can get to the ball instantly so his presence is always felt. He's always lurking. What a beast.

King was not at the Gibbs press conference. After that I went into the locker room. I was there for about 25 minutes. He wasn't there either. So, unless he was there solely during the Gibbs presser, I'm not sure where he got the idea the team was indifferent about the loss. These guys were serious to be sure. They weren't crying or throwing things around. They were simply serious. And ALL of them GOT the message Gibbs spoke of after the game about working harder this off season to get home field NEXT off season.

Every person I spoke to said the SAME thing. That's not being blase. That's being focused on the goal and internalizing the energy into something you can strive to achieve.

What is this guy talking about? Is he serious? he is the biggest Redskin hater on the planet!

Ok, so I took that quote out of context. Big deal. This guy sucks, but it should be noted that anyone who sees Sean Taylor play in person knows that he is the dominant player on the field. He can get to the ball instantly so his presence is always felt. He's always lurking. What a beast.

calm down dude, read again

Taylor is remarkable to watch on the field. The big play he got himself a little hurt on went against us, but, shows what kind of range this guy has. No other safety could have been anywhere near that play to even make any sort of hit. Taylor nearly knocked the ball out. He has tremendous range. He's an absolute force. He does things that alter how the opposition plays in ways that don't show up on stats.

King was not at the Gibbs press conference. After that I went into the locker room. I was there for about 25 minutes. He wasn't there either. So, unless he was there solely during the Gibbs presser, I'm not sure where he got the idea the team was indifferent about the loss. These guys were serious to be sure. They weren't crying or throwing things around. They were simply serious. And ALL of them GOT the message Gibbs spoke of after the game about working harder this off season to get home field NEXT off season.

Every person I spoke to said the SAME thing. That's not being blase. That's being focused on the goal and internalizing the energy into something you can strive to achieve.

i do not like that mentality. That was the colts did. Get home feild!! The better team is going to walk away the winner home feild or not.

Hey Art, since you were there, what was the feeling around the players. Does it look like our team's gonna stick together, and get it done next year?

I'll write a little about this in the coming "Fan View" but, one thing that I notice about these guys is just how focused they are on message. It was clear before the Rams game Gibbs got the message through to them that they had to win five in a row to do anything. That one win was meaningless. After the game EVERY player spoke of needing to win the next game and win the next, etc. They were perfectly on message, demuring their personal accomplishments for team objectives.

Gibbs came out and spoke at the press conference about telling the players they wanted the feeling of playing in front of Redskin fans next year and all the players knew how big a help the fans were for the Seahawks. They know what they left out there and when I got into the locker room, EVERY guy said the exact same things. Work harder to put ourselves in the position Seattle was in.

Whether that's REAL unity or simply the team KNOWING the message will be enforced by player leaders and going along with it I don't know. Either way, I really like seeing it. Gibbs is getting the message across in a way the players are repeating. If you say it enough, you'll believe it and now you've had something (five straight) this year to show belief can be real.

i do not like that mentality. That was the colts did. Get home feild!! The better team is going to walk away the winner home feild or not.

You don't like the mentality of the team wanting to work harder to win more and be better to get home field advantage? Are you sure you understood the topic because if this doesn't appeal to you there's something substantially not right with you.

Blase?....I'm not sure about that one...maybe they were just tired. Face it this team has been in playoff mode for the last 7 weeks...after a while that begins to take toll physically, emotionally, & spiritually. Regardless this team has nothing to be ashamed of...they did a helliva lot better than last year and what the "experts" pegged them to do this year. Not a bad year overall.

Brunell looked blase. He was smiling and joking like he expected to lose. I was like jesus i know we had a improved yr but at least expect to win

What do you want? Tears? Whining? Then you'll be screaming about how he needs to take a loss like a man...

Brunell is always like that, after win or loss. He stays positive.

This is a job for them after all. The sun will still rise, and in a few months they'll be back on the field. If they dwell on a loss they're never going to be able to move beyond it.

I don't think any of them seemed "Blase". They all seemed a little quiet and upset.

What kind of post-game, emotional reaction will satisfy you?

You don't like the mentality of the team wanting to work harder to win more and be better to get home field advantage? Are you sure you understood the topic because if this doesn't appeal to you there's something substantially not right with you.

i do not like the excuse Gibbs and Springs were making about not having home feild. The Seahawks tried to give the Redskins the game. Home feild had no factor in the game. There were no false starts. It came down to the offense being downright awful. They could not get a first down and kept putting the Seahawks on the feild. They could not score on short feilds when Seattle fumbled. Working harder will do nothing. Working smarter works.

Charles Mann talked about he went in for super bowl tickets last yr , the defensive coaches were long gone, Gibbs and his offensive coaches were in meetings. So why is it that the defense was still better then the offense?

Its time to stop making excuses for Brunell, Gibbs and the offense.

i do not like the excuse Gibbs and Springs were making about not having home feild. The Seahawks tried to give the Redskins the game. Home feild had no factor in the game. There were no false starts. It came down to the offense being downright awful. They could not get a first down and kept putting the Seahawks on the feild. They could not score on short feilds when Seattle fumbled. Working harder will do nothing. Working smarter works.

Charles Mann talked about he went in for super bowl tickets last yr , the defensive coaches were long gone, Gibbs and his offensive coaches were in meetings. So why is it that the defense was still better then the offense?

They weren't making an excuse in the slightest. Gibbs, and the rest, were simply pointing out the OBVIOUS aid available the home team in such games and how nice it would be to have that in the playoffs. "Remember Dallas," was said more than once. The team remembers how much the crowd impact on the second Cowboys game helped the team win.

Home field had an incredible factor in the game. You simply don't know the game well enough to speak on it if you don't understand that. The Redskins had to go on timing counts. Meaning the defense almost always had the advantage because of the noise. You think we got seven sacks against the Cowboys simply because we were good? No, we got it because they can't hear and they can't WATCH the ball either. They have to sit in their stance and they are slow off the ball every play while the defense is coming at them. That happened to us in Seattle.

This is not something you can't manage or overcome, but the advantage is good on normal game days. It's over the top good on a playoff day in a city that hadn't had a playoff win in 21 years.

The object was to tap into the freshness of the Dallas game AND the Seattle game to get the players to understand how beneficial it is and work harder to get that advantage for themselves.

The offense was substantially better this year compared to last year.

Our defense wasn't as good as it was last year. Yards per carry was way down(the wrong direction).

They weren't making an excuse in the slightest. Gibbs, and the rest, were simply pointing out the OBVIOUS aid available the home team in such games and how nice it would be to have that in the playoffs. "Remember Dallas," was said more than once. The team remembers how much the crowd impact on the second Cowboys game helped the team win.

Home field had an incredible factor in the game. You simply don't know the game well enough to speak on it if you don't understand that. The Redskins had to go on timing counts. Meaning the defense almost always had the advantage because of the noise. You think we got seven sacks against the Cowboys simply because we were good? No, we got it because they can't hear and they can't WATCH the ball either. They have to sit in their stance and they are slow off the ball every play while the defense is coming at them. That happened to us in Seattle.

This is not something you can't manage or overcome, but the advantage is good on normal game days. It's over the top good on a playoff day in a city that hadn't had a playoff win in 21 years.

The object was to tap into the freshness of the Dallas game AND the Seattle game to get the players to understand how beneficial it is and work harder to get that advantage for themselves.

i know it is a advantage. Nobody can argue with your or Gibbs. But if a team fumbles 3 times, twice to give you at least feild goals . Its all on offense and has nothing to do with home feild.

If we had a bye week and were at home i still think we would of lost. We just had no passing game.

Archived