Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Guy: Hawks 30, Skins 6

Rypien1191

We may not win, but damn.. only two teams have put up 30 on us this year, and one was due to some freaky supernatural events after Wellington Mara passed away. In the other, we also scored 30. But whatever, it's cool. The guy was 2/4 last week, and thought the Giants would win.

God I hope the 'Skins are reading this (for motivation, ofcourse)

SEAHAWKS (-9.5) over Redskins

Rule No. 10 of the Manifesto applies here: "Only pick an underdog or a road team if you're convinced it has a chance to win the game outright."

Four reasons why the Redskins seem cooked to me ...

1. After they grabbed that two-touchdown lead in Tampa, Joe Gibbs clearly shifted into "I'm not taking another chance" mode. He doesn't trust their offense. It's obvious. There's a reason Washington's best drive on Saturday was 10 plays for 40 yards -- for the entire second half, they were playing not to lose.

2. There's a difference between "a little banged up" and "laboring and suffering" ... and Clinton Portis was laboring and suffering with that bum shoulder last weekend. He looked miserable. Don't see that one getting better in a week.

3. Six straight must-win games for the Skins ... that adds up after awhile, doesn't it? Let's say that Edell Shepherd hangs onto that game-tying touchdown pass in Tampa (and I'm not sure how he dropped it) with three minutes to play. Did anyone think the Skins had enough left in the tank to win that game? Now they have to fly cross-country and play in one of the toughest stadiums in the league? Against a well-rested team that puts up 30 points a game at home?

4. Let's say the Skins fall behind by double-digits in this one. Have you seen anything from their offense lately to make you even remotely think they could come back? There's always one blowout in Round 2. Always. And this looks like the one.

The Pick: Seahawks 30, Washington 6

It makes me happy too -- to an extent. But have you EVER seen the picks this one sided? Every now and then - a voice of doubt creeps into my head and asks "can literally 95% of commentators/forecasters be wrong?" I have to admit it worries me a little because I have never seen picks this one sided before in my recent memory. This is a 2nd round playoff game in a conference that all these experts said was "wide open" ALL YEAR. So please tell me how a divisional playoff between two teams from this same "wide open" conference can be a foregone conclusion? It doesn't seem possible -- yet almost the ENTIRE media world agrees..........

I have not been this anxious to get the ball kicked off in my life. I am so curious to see what we look like in this game

Look, I think the guy is great, but he's making it up as he goes along.

Two paragraphs into his analysis of the Broncos/Patriots game, he says : never bet against a streak. That's right after he says the fact the Redskins have won six straight must-win games is a reason NOT to bet on them.

Huh?

It makes me happy too -- to an extent. But have you EVER seen the picks this one sided? Every now and then - a voice of doubt creeps into my head and asks "can literally 95% of commentators/forecasters be wrong?" I have to admit it worries me a little because I have never seen picks this one sided before in my recent memory. This is a 2nd round playoff game in a conference that all these experts said was "wide open" ALL YEAR. So please tell me how a divisional playoff between two teams from this same "wide open" conference can be a foregone conclusion? It doesn't seem possible -- yet almost the ENTIRE media world agrees..........

I have not been this anxious to get the ball kicked off in my life. I am so curious to see what we look like in this game

It's called groupthink, and these guys are falling all over themselves to pat each other on the back. It's simple, nobody wants to go out on a limb because if they pick Seattle and Seattle loses, they don't look stupid because EVERYBODY picked Seattle. If they go out on a limb and pick Washington, though, and the Redskins lose, then they will look dumb.

In reality, eveyone would forget about them picking the Redskins in about two weeks if they picked the Redskins and they lost, but if the Redskins won after they picked them, they would look like a genuis. but then again, sports prognosticators aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the closet.

Think about this, how often, at the beginning of every season, do the prognosticators predict a Super Bowl rematch? Pretty much every year, right? And does that EVER happen?

For those who don't understand why some of us get upset over the critics predicting us to lose, here is why. This prediction of a 24 point lose is absolutely stupid. What has Seattle done to give them that much of an edge?

Chris Collingsworth may be an @$$, but he brings up a good point a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned the teams Seattle won against during their 11 game win streak, but said they haven't beaten anyone. Therefore no one knows what to expect of them.

I look at it like this. Seattle lost to good teams but beat sorry teams. How can they possibly beat the Redskins to lose 30-6? Unless he predicts that the Redskins won't show up to play.

If the Redskins show up this game is much easier than the Tampa game last week.

:seahawksu

My first argument is that the Seahawks won't put up 30 points on our defense. My second argument is that the Seattle defense won't hold the Redskins to 6 points.

Heck, the Squawk's offense won't hold our defense to 6 points. They may not even hold Sean Taylor to 6.

Edit: How 'bout posting a link?

I don't understand something...since when did Qwest field become this super hard place to play??? We've always heard about Mile-High, Arrowhead, 3-Rivers, The Black Hole, and of course FedEx as very unfriendly places to play, but until this season, I've NEVER heard anything about Qwest field. Dallas and NY both went in there and pretty much took it to the Seahawks, barely losing.

IMHO, I think Qwest field is overrated. We play in Philthy, who were loud as hell even though their team sucked this year. I think our boys will have no problem with a bunch of wussy Seattle fans...

Archived