Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wow. Find your respect...in Chicago

pgitta

It's hard to find old-school fans like the Bears. There are very few teams that have that instilled tradition. I'm not saying we haven't had it over the past 10 years, but the fanbase definitely changed before Gibbs coming back. The emotion I saw at the games last year and this year has been totally different.

I have a lot of respect for Bears fans. Year in, and year out, they weather the cold and support their team. They are a great bunch of knowledgeable fans, unlike some of the other teams we've faced this year. Here's to meeting them for the NFC Championship game! :cheers:

I live just outside of Chicago. I grew up on the eastern shore of Maryland and was stationed in D.C. at Marine Barracks 8th & I during the early eighties Skins glory days. They have and always will be #1 with me.

Even if it comes to the NFC championship game.

But here's the question. Living here for 13 years now, I've come to develop a real respect for Bears fans. In many ways, there much like us. Total dedication.

If God forbid we get bumped, will I be a sinner for catching a ride along with the Bears?

Hmm. sounds kinda religeous there. Actually, a "Hail Mary" pass is as far as I go where that's concerned. :)

I think that part of the reason you're seeing that is that the Bears and Skins are similar in that our defense can carry us in any game. I happen to think that our offense is much better (we've shown it in quite a few games) and that lately our defense has been almost as good as the Bears defense.

Anyhow, if the Skins win then the Bears fans have hope. That's at least how I see it.

It is nice to have both the Redskins and Bears back in contention though, the NFL is just better in my eyes when both of those teams are playing well.

Bears do have a long football history.. not unlike the Redskins... and their fans are probably some of the most intelligent ones around (outside us of course)...

They probably do want some payback.. but the fact that there are some fans out there that recognize what we are seeing gives us some validity in what we've been saying all along regarding Seattle.:applause:

That makes me happy.

Bears fans tend to be more knowledgeable than your every day fan. Their franchise is sort of similar to the Skins (minus 2 SB victories :D ) in that they've suffered through some hard times with only a few bright spots. They have a storied history, just like the Skins, and their a defense-first, grind it out running team, like the Skins.

My cousin is from Chicago, and is a big Bears fan. He also believes the Skins will take care of business in Seattle.

Teams that are relatively new have more "troll" fans who are very unintelligent and just want to cause trouble....:2cents:

That's nice respect indeed. The only problem that I see there is that only one person talked about having to beat the Panthers and that was over a question of homefield advantage. I like the Bears as a team alot. They are a very solid team and franchise and I hope they beat the Panthers, but I'm just not sure that's gonna happen. Those defenses are about even, but the Panthers offense is a good one and the Bears are average at best. I'm just hoping that they're not looking past their own game too quickly. I did notice that the posts were dated the 8th and would be curious as to how they feel now. Having said all of this, I just love how they revere Gibbs. It's a beautiful thing. My oldest brother is a Panthers fan, and any time I mention Gibbs he gives me that reply of a person who rolls their eyes as to say, "whatever". Now I have explained why I like those Bears.

But here's the question. Living here for 13 years now, I've come to develop a real respect for Bears fans. In many ways, there much like us. Total dedication.

True, Bears fans are pretty knowledgeable and loyal. But the thing that annoys the crap out of me about Bears fans is how whenever anything goes well for a while, out trots the mention of the 85 Bears. I swear, they are stuck under the shadow of the 85 team and they will be every year until they win the Super Bowl.

True, Bears fans are pretty knowledgeable and loyal. But the thing that annoys the crap out of me about Bears fans is how whenever anything goes well for a while, out trots the mention of the 85 Bears. I swear, they are stuck under the shadow of the 85 team and they will be every year until they win the Super Bowl.

Like we're not still talking about the '88 and '91 'Skins teams? :silly:

Like we're not still talking about the '88 and '91 'Skins teams? :silly:

No, we are still digging up the '82/83 team! But that's ok, I love it!

I lived in Chicago, and that city is amazing. They are very similar to us in that, no matter what happens, they live and die with their team. I LOOOOOVE Chicago, and the Bears are my #2 team. I actually tried to root for them when they played the Redskins, the game where Urlacher scored on the fake field goal, I was in Chicago and was trying to be a Chicago guy....but I just couldn't do it. The Skins are way too embedded in my blood.

But a Skins/Bears NFC Championship game....wow. Who picked that in the beginning of the year??? And I would actually fully expect the Skins to win that game! ;)

:cheers:

No, we are still digging up the '82/83 team! But that's ok, I love it!

I lived in Chicago, and that city is amazing. They are very similar to us in that, no matter what happens, they live and die with their team. I LOOOOOVE Chicago, and the Bears are my #2 team. I actually tried to root for them when they played the Redskins, the game where Urlacher scored on the fake field goal, I was in Chicago and was trying to be a Chicago guy....but I just couldn't do it. The Skins are way too embedded in my blood.

But a Skins/Bears NFC Championship game....wow. Who picked that in the beginning of the year??? And I would actually fully expect the Skins to win that game! ;)

:cheers:

****!!! I was at that game. We all called the play, we all saw him wide open..... Too bad nobody on the 'Skins did. :(

If God forbid we get bumped, will I be a sinner for catching a ride along with the Bears?

Nahhh. Go for it. I'll join you. Chicago people are good people. I visited there for the first time ever back in 2003. Spent almost a week there in February. I was struck by how friendly the folks are there, even despite the bone-chilling cold. I expected it to be like Manhattan, where people won't even look at you (and you might get stabbed if you look at them for too long). Instead, I found the town to be very charming.

Plus, as plenty of others have said, Bears fans know their stuff, and have a long history.

And, if I remember my SNL correctly, Ditka could beat the Giants 17-14 by himself. So, y'know...

Archived