Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comments on the Schlereth article

novascotiadiesel

NOt sure how to post links etc.. but i read an article by Mark Schlereth which can be found in the breaking news section. I completely agree with MS's opinion that it will hurt the skins in the long run for sean taylor to play in the next game. i beleive that it is character and integrity and heart that makes winners in a sport like football. i would like to hear what others on this site feel about MS's article

Don't agree at all. People seem to have no idea what kind of things go on on a football field. Sorry guys but i wouldn't give a rundown of it to a room of 5th graders. Spitting on someone is "dehumanizing"? Give me a break. Everyone is ratcheting up the degree which spitting should be punished so far it is heinous. I've never seen anyone care that they've been spit on in my whole life. It really says less about the person that spits and is motivation for the victim. The character of Gibbs and the want for integrity in the sport I wholeheartedly agree with, but this spitting incident is just a lousy distraction so espn doesn't have to tell us how wrong it was in the predictions for week 1 of the playoffs. Get off Sean's back, spitting is less offensive than taking a swing in my book, that is just reality.

I don't know about you.. but I feel that taylor has a lot of heart...

he's young- give him time to grow up. he is a beast on the field and we need him lurking in the secondary to induce alligator arms on their recievers.

we are hurt in the long run if we don't play him, for I think we don't win if taylor isn't on the field.

Who is this guy? Has he ever made a playoff team? How many superbowl trophies does he have in his crib?

Unless you have walked the walk, don't think you have any credibility talking the talk.

Huh? The guy won one with us, and two with Denver, man.

Who is this guy? Has he ever made a playoff team? How many superbowl trophies does he have in his crib?

Unless you have walked the walk, don't think you have any credibility talking the talk.

I hope you're not asking who Mark Schlereth is. If so, he was a pro-bowl guard for the Redskins '91 Super Bowl team, who went on to the Broncos where he won 2 more Super Bowls.

Mark Schlereth told a funny story about his playing days. He liked to wet himself on the sidelines. Guy's gotta go, you know. It was the preseason and he was in his second year as a starter. He wet himself, and joked about it, then, our QB went down and he was told to warm Stan Humphries up. He didn't tell him what he'd done, just laughed about the QB complaining about all his sweat when he went to get the warm-up snaps.

Personally, I'd rather be spit on.

And, anyone who thinks the other is funny has no call to question anyone else.

Actually he's got 3 rings, one with the Skins in 91 and two with the Broncos...

That doesnt change the fact that I disagree with him. We need Sean to beat the Seahawks, and thats all Im concerned with right now.

Are you being facetious? Mark Schlereth has played on 3 SuperBowl winning teams, the 1991 Redskins and the two Denver SuperBowl teams of the '90s.

I think he was talking about the original poster, not Schlereth. At least, I hope he was.

While I feel that we need ST to play great, I also see his point though. I think an example needs to be made.

Irresponsible actions must have consequences.

Then again Dick Butkus used to go over to the visitors sideline and land a haymaker on some poor guy and then run back before the game even started. Think about that.

People act like this is the first time someone has spit on someone. You don't need character to be a safety in this league. You need that killer instinct. People want to go after Sean Taylor because he is an easy target. No reciever in the league wants to see Sean Taylor. That is his game and that is what makes him special.

NOt sure how to post links etc.. but i read an article by Mark Schlereth which can be found in the breaking news section. I completely agree with MS's opinion that it will hurt the skins in the long run for sean taylor to play in the next game. i beleive that it is character and integrity and heart that makes winners in a sport like football. i would like to hear what others on this site feel about MS's article

Come on, this stuff happens all the time in football. Get in the bottom of a pile up and I assure you worse things happen. I played football and I assure you alot goes on that they dont show on TV. Only thing Sean did wrong was he did it in front of the ref.

Go Get Em Sean your the man.

I can't believe your asking who Mark Schlereth is. He won 1 super bowl under Gibbs and two with the Denver Broncos. This doesn't even count the other times he went to the playoffs.

Hmm the pee slant is interesting does seem quite hypocritical. However The thing i found interesting about this article is that it begins to comment on the importance of the overall culture philosphy and ethos of winning teams. i am not quite articulate enough to do it but... i would like this topic to spark some conversation on how radically this ethos has changed on the skins and how the handling of the spitting incident could effect it. i feel it is quite evident that key to the orginizations recen turnaround is the basic integrity character and heart that gibbs has inspired in his team. i wonder what impact (admitably it could be little or none) this issue has on that winning ethos?

Mark Schlereth told a funny story about his playing days. He liked to wet himself on the sidelines. Guy's gotta go, you know. It was the preseason and he was in his second year as a starter. He wet himself, and joked about it, then, our QB went down and he was told to warm Stan Humphries up. He didn't tell him what he'd done, just laughed about the QB complaining about all his sweat when he went to get the warm-up snaps.

Personally, I'd rather be spit on.

And, anyone who thinks the other is funny has no call to question anyone else.

Sorry Art your off base

I don't agree with Stink but I do agree with his right to question, he earned it. He gets paid to let his thoughts be known and he did. I know if what ST did had been by someone on any other team this Board wood be out for blood.

I am in no way condoning Taylor's actions but everyone in the media is acting as though Taylor just walked up to the guy and spit at his face( not in his face because it fell well short) for no reason. Don't you think Pittman must have said something to provoke ST. Not that it is right but he didn't just walk up to Pittman, tap him on the shoulder and spit all over him.

they fail to realize that the guy he spit on was accused of beating on his wife like she stole something, and his main critic Michael Irvin, was busted for possession of Drugs and a Crack pipe. I'm not saying that ST was right for what he did, but i think people need to check themselves before they start picking up stones.

This is such crap. Players take cheap shots at other players all the time and rarely get more than a flag, almost never get more than a fine and a flag, and certainly don't get any more than a fine, a flag, AND kicked out of the game they are playing in. If taking a shot at someone's knees or their melon isn't enough to draw a suspension, than spitting at them CERTAINLY is not worth a suspension.

I don't care how hard you spit at someone, you aren't going to hurt them or endanger their careers.

Archived