Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis vs. Alexander stat

TimmySmith

For my own curiosity I wanted to know how each did in Non-Division NFC games. I thought this would be a good measure since most are dissing the NFC West.

Without too much detail..

Alexander

3 Home Games 315 yards

3 Away Games 220 yards

Total 535 yards 6 Tds

Portis

3 Home Games 312 yards

3 Away Games 385 yards

Total 697 yards 7 Tds

Well thats somewhat of a biased statistic, cause 4 of those 6 games for us were against the NFC West...what would be more interesting would be against common opponents, so mainly portis, alexander vs NFC East + NFC West.

There is no argument that Clinton Portis is a better running back, football player, team leader than Shaun Alexander. Portis yas a better YPC average and he catches, blocks and throws touchdowns. Shaun Alexander is good but he is not top five. He isn't

Portis

Edge

LT

Larry Johnson

Tiki Barber

All of these guys are better than Shaun Alexander.

Well thats somewhat of a biased statistic, cause 4 of those 6 games for us were against the NFC West...what would be more interesting would be against common opponents, so mainly portis, alexander vs NFC East + NFC West.

Biased or not, it is a hint of exactly how each has done in the same situation you will see Saturday.

There is no argument that Clinton Portis is a better running back, football player, team leader than Shaun Alexander. Portis yas a better YPC average and he catches, blocks and throws touchdowns. Shaun Alexander is good but he is not top five. He isn't

Portis

Edge

LT

Larry Johnson

Tiki Barber

This whole post just looks like something I just used in the bathroom.

Except Clinton Portis is a better football player.

Alexander is far superior to Edge.

Yeah, and the Cardinals have the 8th best offense and 8th best defense in the league. They still suck. Be careful how you use statistics.

Remember, in the Redskins-Seahawks game, Alexander was completely shut down for 3 quarters. In the fourth, he gained 35 of his 98 yards on one game-tying drive and put them in position to win the game. Alexander is going to be a beast on Saturday, and the Skins are going to have to play him even better than they did the first time.

That is a good point...but I still like the stat. :laugh: :cheers:

Portis

Edge

LT

Larry Johnson

Tiki Barber

:doh: You have to be kidding me. Shaun Alexander broke the single season TD record this year and was this years rushing leader. Last year he was one yard from leading the league in rushing as well. To claim that he isn't even top 5 is ludicrous.

I like to talk up my players as much as the next guy, but Shuan Alexander was the best back in the NFL this year.

For right now the ranking goes

Alexander (He's nasty running the ball, though he doesn't do much else)

Johnson (He's nasty running the ball, though he doesn't do much else)

LT (second best QB and reciever on his team)

Portis (blocking is only worth so much)

Edge (too many injury problems)

Portis

Edge

LT

Larry Johnson

Tiki Barber

Oh my, I wish it were true, but Alexander is the best the NFL has right now. Portis has had a great year, but Alexander has been the MVP !!

HTTR

One statistic not being taken into consideration is how our defense was playing when we BEAT Seattle. Many of us were asking ourselves what happened to the #3 Defense in the league. Our D was playing solid but not lights out like they're playing now. I think the Seachickens are going to have a much tougher time moving the ball this time compared to last.

Not to mention ST really didn't get a piece of Sean Alexander that game. I thinks it's long overdue for Sean to meet Shaun.

:doh: You have to be kidding me. Shaun Alexander broke the single season TD record this year and was this years rushing leader. Last year he was one yard from leading the league in rushing as well. To claim that he isn't even top 5 is ludicrous.

I like to talk up my players as much as the next guy, but Shuan Alexander was the best back in the NFL this year.

No I'm not kidding. If you were starting a team why would you want a back that can't catch or block? Saying that blocking is only worth so much shows me what you know. HE IS OVERRATED.

Not going to argue the fact that Alexander isn't a grat back. However, he's far from the best. My God look at the NFC West, they're terrible. Bring Alexander to the NFC East and see if he gets the same yds. Portis had 427 against our division and Alexander had 820 against his division.

Not to mention the fact I've never seen Alexander put LB's on their asses on a consistent basis like Portis. Show me one of the RB's on your list that is a better all around back than Portis.

Also if you take a look at Washington and San Diego's schedule this year I think LT and Portis are both right up there with Shaun and his weak NFC West schedule.

Dude, your kidding me.

This year, by far, and I mean not even close, Tiki Barber has been the best. He got as many yards, with a very bad OL, a 2nd year QB who didn't play very well overall and he played in our division and played a similar schedule as ours. And he caught over 50 balls for 10 yards per catch.

Alexander got 21 of his 27 TD's in 8 games against the worst defenses in the league. 6 TD's in the other 8 games including our matchup.

I'm not impressed.

Tiki

Johnson(started 10-11 games)

LT

Portis

Alexander

Edge does not make my list because he's like Ricky Watters playing behind Steve Young, Jerry Rice and Brent Jones and a great OL. He benefits immensely from that great offense and still has a pretty low ypc.

First, Tiki is the most over-rated back on this list. Yes he did gain alot of yards this year, but he can't score. The man ran for 9 TDs this year. That puts him tied for 10th among running backs with 4 other players. The most important thing a running back can do is get in the end-zone. That is why Shuan Alexander and Larry Johnson are at the top of the list.

Second, blocking is only so important. While neither Alexander nor Johnson are nearly as good at blocking as CP, they don't fall on their knees and let LBs run right by them either. What is more important is the number of big plays they are involved in. Clinton Portis had only 6 rushes go for more than 20 yds this season. Alexander and Johnson had 14 and 15 respectively (Tiki also had 16, but he still can't score touchdowns)

Thirdly, CP is not a better reciever than most backs on my list. Johnson caught 343 yds worth of passes. LT had 370. Edge had 337. Alexander had more recieving touchdowns than CP. While we all know CP has terrific hands, but he does not catch alot of balls(16 for 216).

Finally intangibles, CP is probably the best blocker of the group. I have seen LT lay people out as well though. He is the second best QB in the group behind LT. Which tough not used often, has helped us and the Chargers win games when we needed a play most. As for locker room presence, I would leave it at a tie between LT Alexander and CP. All these guys are leaders in their locker room. I don't know what Johnson is like now that he is a starter, but I know he was a big headache when he was behind Priest.

In conclusion, Clinton Portis IS NOT THE BEST RUNNING BACK IN THE NFL. I do believe he will be pretty soon. He is the youngest RB among the group listed, and he seems to get better every week (except that offensive debacle against Tampa last week).

Oh yeah, the better "all-around"(versatile) back is LT.

For my own curiosity I wanted to know how each did in Non-Division NFC games. I thought this would be a good measure since most are dissing the NFC West.

Without too much detail..

Alexander

3 Home Games 315 yards

3 Away Games 220 yards

Total 535 yards 6 Tds

Portis

3 Home Games 312 yards

3 Away Games 385 yards

Total 697 yards 7 Tds

SA sat for the second half of the Philly and Indy games and most of the GB game. All told he played in about 2 fewer games than the other RB's.

First, Tiki is the most over-rated back on this list. Yes he did gain alot of yards this year, but he can't score. The man ran for 9 TDs this year. That puts him tied for 10th among running backs with 4 other players. The most important thing a running back can do is get in the end-zone. That is why Shuan Alexander and Larry Johnson are at the top of the list.

Those guys get more TDs because their team uses them in goal line situations. Kinda like how Emmitt Smith always had 20TDs and Barry Sanders finished the year with 12 or something because his team used another player in goal line. Not his fault but Tiki still has the yards and he has a better ypc and caught way more balls with a crap OL and playing a much tougher schedule. Alexander got 21 of his 27Tds against crap defenses, again I must mention.

Look at his stats against good team, they suck.

Portis

Edge

LT

Larry Johnson

Tiki Barber

What?!?! Are you kidding me? C'mon dude, put the crack pipe down and come back to earth. Saying Clinton Portis is better than Shaun Alexander is like saying a Honda is better than a BMW. Crazy. While a Honda (and Portis) is decent, it is ridiculous to say that Portis is better than the NFL rushing leader, MVP, and record breaking back that Shaun is. And to say he's not a top 5? The most idiodic statement I've heard in quite some time.

Happy New Year!!

:cheers:

HawkMan

GO HAWKS!!

Those guys get more TDs because their team uses them in goal line situations.

They use thesze guys more in goal line situations because they are better in goal line situtations. Over the past 6 weeks CP has proven himself capable in the red zonedemonstrating poise and power, but before that he would often be stuffed in goal-line and red zone situations. If you can honestly tell me you trusted CP to pound the ball in from the 3 yardline against a goalline defense consistently before this run began I will mail you a freaking cookie. CP just didn't display the goal line ability is first year and a half here. Tiki is no good in the goal line because he has no power.

Alexander, Johnson, and LT are each terrific in the goal-line because they are powerful backs. They score so many touchdowns because they are able to consistently score TDs. Get it? The better you are at something the more likely you are to be asked to do it again.

Archived