Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Theisman comment on Skins keeping LaVar

ehorst

During Saturday's coverage of the Bucs game, Joe Theisman stated that he believed the Skins would keep LaVar Arrington and that he'd be in B&G next fall. Does another have insights on what Theisman is thinking?

From what I've read everwhere LaVar has a huge roster bonus coming...and it's unlikely anyone would pick up his lofty contract...thus he would be cut in the Spring.

So, what is Theisman thinking...a renegotiation?

I'm not willing to dismissed Theisman's comment, since he is close to Snyder and may be one of the few media analysts who is truly in the know.

I'd LOVE to see LaVar back next year--in recent weeks we've gained some glimpses of the old LaVar. Next season, LaVar could be comeback player of the year!!

From everthing that i have been reading states that it would be better for our team financially to keep him as well. But lets face it, Sneider has not been known to be a penny pincher to get what he wants. If Lavar staying in Washington would be better for us in the wallet but our owner wanting him gone in place of someone else.....lets face it. Lavar would be packing his bags as soon as we face our first loss in the playoff this season.

Then again Lavar appears to have had a huge attitude change as well. I think that its the playoffs. He was very jealous of Steven Davis when he went to carolina and then the playoffs when he congratulated him in conversation. In his career Lavar had seen more change and more personel movement and one playoff stint with the Redskins.

I am almost certain that he thought Joe Gibbs wasn't any different either. Except for now he is seeing just what Joe can do for our team and i for one actually think that Lavar is finally coming around.

I think LA is only worth about $2M-$2.5M per year tops on a couple year contract with any other club. The Postons will do their homework and find that his value if "cut" is just that. This will allow the Redskins to allow LA to keep all his paid bonuses (not future) and reduce his salary to an amount equal to market value or slightly higher. He will be given incentives to make back some of his lost salarlies. That's my take, and he if doesn't then he will most likely be cut.

No way Lavar restructures, He has already stated this. I'll add that he is even less likely to restructure if they include incentive based payments. Lavar knows that there is no way he could capitalize on incentives if he isn't being played.

All that being said, I hope that he is Redskin next year. I want to see him on the field, how awesome would it be if he was to step in for the injured Wynn at DE and fit it with the system and get to rush the passer. I know that he has played at the DE spot a few times this year, I didn't see enough of it though to really know how it went.

No way Lavar restructures, He has already stated this. I'll add that he is even less likely to restructure if they include incentive based payments. Lavar knows that there is no way he could capitalize on incentives if he isn't being played.

He says a whole lot of things. When his agents tell him the best offer is $2M on a one year deal with incentives; he will be restructuring to get $2.5M with a longer term deal in Washington. That's assuming that he wants to be a Redskin and not retired. If we keep him and pay his contract it could cause great players like Griffen, Washington, Marshall, Springs, Taylor, etc. to want new deals. Backlash can be the death of any team!

You couldnt get a player on the same level of LaVars ability and experience for 2-2.5 mil a year... especially considering we would be sucking cap from cutting him .

I think Thiesman is right LaVar stays and next year is a new year . The Playoffs the change in philosophy trying to keep the group together, I think LaVar understands this now when he wasn't playing and shouting his mouth off he didn't .

Next year could be the year we finnally see what the double trouble LB corp of Washington and Arrington can really deliver

Ultimately, it's too big a cap hit to cut or trade LA next year. I'm not sure about the likelihood of his renegotiating, but any cut or trade would probably come in the following year, if it's still deemed necessary.

I think LA has come around and finally bought in to the system and the coaches.

I also think LA has finally realized that he's still not 100% from his knee problems (his latest appearance on the John Thompson Show backs this up) and that the coaches were right in not rushing him back earlier — they understood his physical status better than he did.

I think that this playoff run will rekindle his football desire.

Finally, I think the birth of his daughter will drastically further LA’s maturation process.

All told, LA wants to remain a Redskin and it costs too much to get rid of him. Next year he'll be more valuable on the field as he finally rounds back into shape and returns to form. We cut Coles and took the hit because he didn’t want to be here. No matter what other nonsense LA has spouted lately, he always says he loves being a Redskins, wants to stay here, and will always consider himself a Redskin — big difference.

You couldnt get a player on the same level of LaVars ability and experience for 2-2.5 mil a year... especially considering we would be sucking cap from cutting him .

I think Thiesman is right LaVar stays and next year is a new year . The Playoffs the change in philosophy trying to keep the group together, I think LaVar understands this now when he wasn't playing and shouting his mouth off he didn't .

Next year could be the year we finnally see what the double trouble LB corp of Washington and Arrington can really deliver

Good post!!! I agree!!!:notworthy

I think it's going to happen like this:

Skins FO: "We're drastically overpaying you. Restructure or we'll release you."

Lavar: "Nah."

Skins FO: "Kay, bye."

Fortunately this is not how the real world actually works. There are concepts like "give and take" "leverage" "agents". Lavar will be back

Did anyone see the post article about Lavar yesterday. It had a picture of Arrington and Snyder shaking and hugging. I believe it was from the Bucs game.

The Poston's are STILL his agents after the contract fiasco!!?? I thought I read somewhere he got another agent. In any case, maybe going to an NFC Championship game or even further would change the way both LaVar and the Skins view the relationship.

JT has absolutely no insight into the Lavar dealings. He's just a blowhard. The man says things to hear himself talk. He said Jim Haslett should be coach of the year! Anyone who takes anything he says seriously is a lemming.

There's simply nothing worse than the Sunday night crew. Nothing.

You couldnt get a player on the same level of LaVars ability and experience for 2-2.5 mil a year... especially considering we would be sucking cap from cutting him.

33 Lemar Marshall LB 0.455 0.181 0.636 0.759 0.782

It appears that Lemar played his position better last year for less than $1M per year and will continue to play another two years for less than $1M.

The cap hit is about $12M next year on LA. He could not, and I repeat, could not get anymore than $2.5M on the free market. We would save about $3M by cutting him on next year's cap. This is significant considering that we have young LB talent in Clemmons, McCune, etc. We could always move Marshall back to the weakside and get a true MLB, or maybe McCune will be ready.

Sean Taylor signed a new agent.

Lavar will be back next year, and seeing as how Lavar is lovign the playoffs he might would consider restructuring. It has been a long tough season for Lavar. He said himself, that he needs an entire offseason to get back to full speed, also said the old Lavar would have taken it to the house Saturday(meaning physically, not mentally).

Also another comment while being interviewed, our wide-eyed linebacker said he did what he was coached to do when he had the ball, that was to find the numbers. He is actually listening to the coaches :-)

It is cheaper to keep Lavar next year... if you think very short term. If Arrington stays, he'll cost about $7m against the cap in '06, and another $6.5m in '07 and $9m in '08. The '07 and '08 numbers will be at least $1m higher if the $6.5m roster bonus in July is converted and spread over a few years.

If they trade him, the Skins take a $12.5m cap in '06. If they release him, they take a $5m cap in '06 and a $7m cap in '07.

Releasing him seems like the worst idea. Yes, you spread out the cap hit, but you don't save anything and you pretty much guarantee you'll be playing against him -- either Parcells or Reid would be thrilled to have him.

Trading him seems like a *****, but if you're getting rid of the guy, you oughta get something in return. If they could dump Coles and swallow the cap hit, they can survive trading Arrington. So I say keep him if you love him and think he's worth his monster contract, or trade him. Nothing else.

Here's a recap... or just search for yourself if you want the whole foggy story...

There's a lot of confusion about the costs of keeping, trading, or releasing Arrington. It's almost impossible to sort through all the various permutations given the CBA issues and his contract, but here's a shot (correct me where I'm wrong):

KEEPING: Keeping Arrington supposedly costs $12.046 against the cap next year, but that's misleading. He's due a $6.5m roster bonus in July, and because of the state of the CBA, all of that counts against the cap for now. It will most likely be spread out, meaning that Arrington's real cap cost next year will be closer to $7m.

TRADING: If he's traded, his cap cost (dead money) will be $12.545m in '06. There is a slim possibility of Arrington agreeing to paying back some bonus dollars in return for being traded, but don't hold your breath.

RELEASING: If he's released on June 1, it spreads his cap cost over two years, most likely $5m in '06 and $7m in '07. There are some more variables here, some dealing with the CBA and some with his contract, but that's the likely scenario.

It appears that Lemar played his position better last year for less than $1M per year and will continue to play another two years for less than $1M.

The cap hit is about $12M next year on LA. He could not, and I repeat, could not get anymore than $2.5M on the free market. We would save about $3M by cutting him on next year's cap. This is significant considering that we have young LB talent in Clemmons, McCune, etc. We could always move Marshall back to the weakside and get a true MLB, or maybe McCune will be ready.

Lavar was injured last year and he's not even fully recovered this year. If you can have an Arrington, Marshall, Washington linebacker core why would you break that up if you don't need to? We don't need to, yet you people are enamorated with jutting Arrington for this supposed "cap relief" we won't see until a year down the road.

Which is better, cap relief or performance? Arrington had just as good a game as Washington yesterday. Our Linebackers combined for 32 tackles!

And you're trying to tell me you'd rather move Marshall out of the MLB spot, a place where he is EXCELLING, just to get rid of Lavar? Does this sound logical to you? Why exactly can Lamar not be a true middle linebacker? Gregg Williams has had nothing but praise for him this year. Not only that, but he has made very few mistakes and several game changing plays. Yet you want to switch positions just to get rid of a linebacker coming off a knee injury who has shored up the weakside that we kept getting gutted on.

And do you seriously think Arrington is worth only 2mil a year? Please. If we cut and he keeps playing like he played in the Tampa game, somebody will give him a Marcus Washington type contract or close to it.

And is it not risky to cut a talented linebacker in Arrington under the pretenses that we will be HOPING for Clemons or McCune to step up? What has Clemons shown besides being a speed rusher? McCune hasn't done anything except be shuttled back and forth from the practice squad.

Seriously, suggesting Marshall, Clemmons, McCune or anyone else on our roster could do better than a HEALTHY Lavar Arrington who now buys into this system, that is just not smart.

The thing thats sad about this whole fiasco is that Lavar was ever given the contract he was in the first place.

Injured not injured, marque player or not; the contract given Lavar was bad business two years ago.

Keeping Lavar and paying him or paying to release him... either way the contract was a lesson in poor decision making.

Lavar simply is not nearly the player that a contract of that amount should be given to.

Whatever happens, this one got the pooch pregnant.

The way I see it... why would they cut one of the most beloved players on our team?

He's made some big plays for us this year AND seccured field position for us to score a TD in the Round 1 Playoff game against Tampa Bay. Also... earlier in the season, was named our defensive team captain for a few games. He also keeps everyones spirits up on the team with his good attitude--which in my opinion is CRUCIAL to this teams success.

Lavar makes a HUGE impact on our team. It wouldn't be the same without him. As has been stated in this thread, he's gone through a lot of caoching changes in this organization and has kept a relatively good attitude about it. He's got his focus back now.

Unfortunately unless LaVar renegotiates again (which he said he wouldn't do) I truly believe he will be released. Gibbs & Co. have taken the relative value approach - which led to Pierce departing at the end of last season. This means that they won't pay a player more than his relative value (based upon position, experience & performance vs. the other players at his position on the team). They did not want to pay Pierce more than Marcus Washington last offseason b/c of their relative performance. The same approach will be taken with Lavar. How can they justify keeping him as the highest paid LB on the team when he's only in for certain situations and has been much less durable (than the other LB's) over the last 2 seasons?

I can't argue with the approach. The defense (especially the LB corps) hasn't lost a whole lot with him on the bench more this season. As for Pierce - he gets to sit home and watch this Sunday. Meanwhile (as stated by Philip Daniels today) the chemistry on this team is amazing. That's in large part because the front office is using the relative value approach so that players feel they are being rewarded fairly (vs. the other players on the team). After all, in the end, it all comes down to the $$$$.

Let's hope LaVar feels his bonus money is enough to allow him to renegotiate and stay with the Skins!

Archived