Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shaun Alexander's Skewed Rushing Stats..

Portis the Tortoise

After looking further into Shaun's great numbers this year, I found a very interesting trend. Seattle only played 5 games against teams over .500 this year. One of those 5 came in Week 16 against Indy, who only played their starters for 1 quarter. If you throw that game out, in Shaun's other games against teams greater than .500, he averaged a very mediocre 21.5 carries for 85.5 yards and 1/2 of one TD per contest. In his games against lesser opponents (Arz, SF, Stl twice apiece, Hou, Tenn, etc.), Shaun averaged 23.66 carries for 109.85 yards and an astounding 2.16 TDs.

Not only does this bode well for Washington, but keep in mind that we've already played 11 games vs. teams above .500, while Seattle has only played 4 (Indy would be 5, but that was a nonsense game). Washington comes into this weekend's game as a far more seasoned unit than the Seahawks. If Gibbs and Co. can muster 20 points, and the defense doesn't allow Hasselbeck to beat us, I think we'll be heading to Carolina with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

After looking further into Shaun's great numbers this year, I found a very interesting trend. Seattle only played 5 games against teams over .500 this year. One of those 5 came in Week 16 against Indy, who only played their starters for 1 quarter. If you throw that game out, in Shaun's other games against teams greater than .500, he averaged a very mediocre 21.5 carries for 85.5 yards and 1/2 of one TD per contest. In his games against lesser opponents (Arz, SF, Stl twice apiece, Hou, Tenn, etc.), Shaun averaged 23.66 carries for 109.85 yards and an astounding 2.16 TDs.

Not only does this bode well for Washington, but keep in mind that we've already played 11 games vs. teams above .500, while Seattle has only played 4 (Indy would be 5, but that was a nonsense game). Washington comes into this weekend's game as a far more seasoned unit than the Seahawks. If Gibbs and Co. can muster 20 points, and the defense doesn't allow Hasselbeck to beat us, I think we'll be heading to Carolina with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

Shawn is a good RB. However I think he is overated. We can contain him and I believe we will. I agree with your entire post. Even the part about the game with carolina. Alot of people are calling me crazy, but for some reason I think the panthers are going to beat the bears. If it turns out that way, I will be going to N. carolina for that one :point2sky :point2sky

Well even then Shaun is still a great running back AND renaldo is going to be out. I dont know which side he plays on, i think right end, and Shaun likes running to the left into Philip Daniels. That will make it easier for us since Wynn is out, but we do not take him lightly.

Shaun is a great RB even if he gets his yards against terrible teams. If you have the most rushing yards in a season and the most TDs ever in one season, your a great RB.

You have to factor in how weak their schedule was. They played 11 teams with 8-8 or worse records and the Colts 2nd stringers. Alexander got 21 of his TD's in 8 games against horrible defenses. In the other 8 games he had 6TD's and his team lost 3 of those and won 4 of the others by 3-4 points.

Shut down Alexander, don't turn the ball over, and don't miss on field goals (Giants) and this team isn't going to win.

The Cowboys did exactly that in Seattle earlier in the season except they turned the ball over twice and still almost won, if not for their stellar end of the game play similar to what we did to them in Dallas.

Yes, how Alexander could have been chosen over Tiki Barber when Tiki had the second highest total yards for a season and the Giants played the 14th hardest schedule in the NFL amazes me.
The 28 touchdowns helped.

You might want to pick a new screen name.

I agree with you 100% if all you're saying is that Shawn's stats are skewed. You've provided factual evidence for that. Of course, we can't call him overrated based on past years performance.

Actually, I was looking at almost the same things as you earlier today and I came to many of the same conclusions. Another thing to consider is their home slate. Fairly gravy, if you ask me. Their toughest tests at home were against Dallas and NY, and those were both pretty close games.

Everyone keeps harping on their undefeated record at Qwest, though.

This is actually GOOD.

It's also a good thing that so many writers (esp. John Donovan of CNNSI, sheesh!) are bashing the Skins offense for their performance against TB. This has to bother the O and make them feel like they've got something to prove and I think we'll be healthy dogs, which players seem to respond well to these days.

But I will say this: I hope Qwest isn't as loud as the Kingdome could get - it'll be really tough for our Offense to prove all the critics wrong if thats the case.

It looks like Gibbs and the coaching staff have the Skins playing much better the second time they face the same opponent, so for that reason, I'd rather face the Bears in the conference champi...no wait...to early to talk about that yet.

So Alexander is overrated and Seahawks played a soft schedule. You guys are really reaching to find some reason to have hope. But like I was told by a 'skins fan about your year 'just making the playoffs is a huge success'.

None of the hope that I have is based on Alexander's performance - which was fairly mundane the last time we met. It has to do entirely with the Skins' recent performance. Heck, with their perfmance throughout the year and YES, against a much more difficult slate than the 'Hawks.

Ifs, ifs, ifs........If Oakland hadn't scored more points than Washington they wouldn't have won at FedEx....Anyone who doubts Shaun's abilities is crazy or blind or both.

Yeah, and if Seattle HAD scored more points than Washington they would have won at Fed Ex...

Alexander still averaged

3.9 yards per carry against those 4 teams, which was better than portis all last year, and barely worse than this year.

You analyzing of his stats is flawed.

Barely? half a yard's not barely.

Look fellas, if you want to defend Shaun, that's cool...but not a good idea to do it at the expense of the opponent on the opponent's meesage boards.

Shaun is a great RB even if he gets his yards against terrible teams. If you have the most rushing yards in a season and the most TDs ever in one season, your a great RB.

As someone here who has come to know the 'hawks by defualt..that is, de fault of my choosing to live in these parts for the last 20 years :D ...and I have watched almost every game they've palyed for years becuase that's what's always televised. When nothing Redskin is at stake, I luke-warm-ly "support" the local effort in general football spirit and have found the local fans to be very reasonable people generally, if somewhat tepid in their fandom.

That said, and based on my reading here lately, I have easily adjusted to the understandable, supportable, but somewhat more apparent (in this circumstance) "homerism" of some of my brethren here :laugh: .

But rather tha joining in dismissing Seattle because of their schedule (always dangerous to judge too much by a team's schedule) or dismissing the genuine level of talent they have because we beat them earlier, I have made some posts offering a more accurate take on Seattle, IMO.

But of course and forever will always back my Redskins brothers in any real conflicts with visiting fans from Bigfoot land. Alexander is eevrything any back has been in some time. The only reason this isn't his second year in a row having the NFL rushing record is because with ONE yard to go last year Holmgren sat him out for strategic purposes, unaware of his proximity to the mark at first, or so the story goes, and it almost cost them Shaun's prescence here this year. Since our game against them, they have improved across the board from an already good level of performance. Their O-line is more formidable than any other we've palyed since them, and Hasslehoff has been pretty solid. The defense is quick, and competent, but not great. Their offense is much better than Tampa's.

My expectation is that it will take the kind of game we gave in the second rounds to Dallas and Giants to get this one. That doesn't mean that Gibbs & Williams won't find another way to win even if what I just called for fails to occur. In the end, more than anything else, I expect us to win, period.

:point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky

Qwest field has 68,000 people and hopefully at least 5k skin fans will show up. I think we can handle Qwest field.

I wouldnt underestimate their QB though. He is a great game manager and does what he needs to do and can make some plays. This is the playoffs where they have always fallen short so i think they willl have some determination to nullify their 21 year streak.

If any other NFC playoff team had their schedual though, they would be at least 13-3.

Yes, how Alexander could have been chosen over Tiki Barber when Tiki had the second highest total yards for a season and the Giants played the 14th hardest schedule in the NFL amazes me.

How does Tiki Barber not win that? He would have had THE highest ever if we hadn't shut him down.

Its called touchdowns. Sean Alexander gets them Tiki doesn't. That simple.

My God people. I love my fellow Redskin bretheren but get a clue. In his five full seasons he has: 1,318, 1,175, 1,435, 1,696 and 1,880 yards respectively. The man has 7,800 yards and 89 TDs in his career. What the hell does he have to do to earn your respect? He is not overrated. He is a great running back. Yeah he did play weaker teams this season but that can't be said his whole career.

Archived