Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bradshaw does it again

The Batman

Just watching the Panthers-Giants game, and Terry Bradshaw was talking about the muffed punt by the Giants and he said something like the team that commits the fewest mistakes is going to win. I'd like to take that as a segue into this thing about Brunell. Guys, listen to yourselves. We've won 6 straight, and we've got a veteran leader in Brunell. He's intelligent, he doesn't take chances, and he doesn't play the hero. When people play the hero, THEY LOSE. Look at the last 4 years of Indianapolis football. Every time Manning played the hero, he had grossly inflated stats, and yet his team managed to lose. The fact is, we found a way to win, not in spite of Brunell's play, but with the aid of our leader. There's not even a need to mention that there's a better player on the bench [how soon we forget how many times Ramsey manages to put the ball neatly in the hands of the defenders] because there isn't. Experience is golden in the playoffs, and so is playing safe, and Brunell has both in spades. Ramsey seems to have neither. I simply can't imagine putting Ramsey into the game with his 2 int minimum a game in situations like we're in. If the defense doesn't show up, the offense wins it. [Giants v Redskins to a certain extent] And if the offense doesn't show up, the defense wins it. And if both show up, we can beat anyone in the league. So why mess with a winning formula? Brunell is winning us games with his excellent decision making and intelligent game management. Place your confidence in him and in Joe Gibbs and maybe instead of whining about his play you can give him a shot of confidence. Because he will be the starter, and he should be.

Just my $0.02.

:logo:

Brunell is doing exactly what Gibbs is asking him to do......and that's all there is to it. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be playing. It's not easy to make plays when the defense knows your going to run twice, and then pass on third and long.......the deck is stacked against him when ever we get the lead, and Gibbs goes in to his stall offense. You can't get mad at Gibbs either, because he has a proven track record. We might not like to watch Gibbs call the game this way, but we sure like the results....and like i said, his track record speaks for itself. I wasn't pretty yesterday, but we won......who knows what would've happened if Gibbs had tried to be aggressive against a great defense like Tampa.......Gibbs goes with what he knows...and it's hard to argue against his results.

Brunell is just a product of his environment.......which is why Ramsey isn't playing, because he can't play as smart as Brunell....which isn't a knock on Ramsey, it's just that he doesn't have the experience. Look at how the playoffs are going so far........the more experienced quarterbacks are making a difference so far.....or at least their teams are winning.

In Gibbs I trust!

Ok, the "Brunell is doing exactly what Gibbs is asking him to" mantra is a little weak...yes, he's running the plays that Gibbs wants him to, and he'll throw the ball away the way Gibbs is comfortable with...but to say he's missing receivers or fumbling or throwing INTs on the Skins' side of the field "like Gibbs is asking him to" is a bit ridiculous...lol...Mind you, I want Brunell to be the starter for the reasons mentioned in the initial post: leadership, rarely gets rattled, tends to make the best decisions even if he doesn't make the best throws...but lumping everything we see in Brunell's play under the "Gibbs is asking him to do this" label is a bit naive.

As long as we're winning, it makes no sense to put Ramsey in the game. Brunell's a veteran leader who keeps his head in the game. Winning with a bad offensive performance yesterday might be the best thing to happen. Remember we handled Detriot easily in 1999 only to lose in the second round of the playoffs? Gibbs and the Coaches will work extra hard to get this thing rolling next week and the D won't have to carry as big of a load.

COunt me in as a Brunell supporter. He is a Trent Green clone with better passing and better mobility. His days with the Jaguars show he can coem from behind in the playoffs, win tough games on the road as an underdog, and manage the game. You can win a Super Bowl with Mark Brunell.

Ok, the "Brunell is doing exactly what Gibbs is asking him to" mantra is a little weak...yes, he's running the plays that Gibbs wants him to, and he'll throw the ball away the way Gibbs is comfortable with...but to say he's missing receivers or fumbling or throwing INTs on the Skins' side of the field "like Gibbs is asking him to" is a bit ridiculous...lol...Mind you, I want Brunell to be the starter for the reasons mentioned in the initial post: leadership, rarely gets rattled, tends to make the best decisions even if he doesn't make the best throws...but lumping everything we see in Brunell's play under the "Gibbs is asking him to do this" label is a bit naive.

I disagree.

Anyone who has followed this team through Gibbs' first stint as head coach is familiar with one thing to possibly summarize his strategy.

He sandbags.

Of course with a 14 point lead we're not going to be bombing it downfield. He's playing it smart, just as Gibbs asks. He's not going to crack open the playbook and put his marquee players at risk when it simply isn't necessary. It's why Portis played very little and Springs didn't play at all. The interception was not his fault. Blame that one on Taylor "Look at me, I'm kinda fast!" Jacobs. He batted it down, not the defender. If I'm not mistaken, Brunell hasn't fumbled since the first Tampa debacle, but I could be wrong. True, he did miss a few recievers, but let's face it, the number one defense in the National Football League covered them pretty well. Joe Gibbs is sandbagging. He's running twice to eat clock, then maybe attempting a throw. If nothing's there, he's putting the faith in the defense, just as Gibbs is, by throwing it away. True, Gibbs is not telling him to throw it under or into coverage, but hey, he's doing a pretty fine job of what he needs to do to eat clock in a defensive football game.

In 1991, my dad went to an exhibition game at our local Williams-Brice stadium. Giants vs. Redskins. Unfortunately, at that time I was a little over 2 years old;; as such I do not remember the exact score, but the Redskins were blown out. As you all well know, the Redskins absolutely dominated when they had to. Last night, offensively, they simply didn't have to. They wanted to save every precious drop of offense for Seattle. So in that respect, Brunell is doing exactly what Gibbs asks of him. You are correct, Gibbs is not asking him to make bad throws. However, what Gibbs is asking him to do is to keep those bad throws to a minimum and to let the defense win the game [in the case of last night]. And he is doing that to perfection.

Hail Brunell and Hail to the Redskins.

I disagree.

Anyone who has followed this team through Gibbs' first stint as head coach is familiar with one thing to possibly summarize his strategy.

He sandbags.

Of course with a 14 point lead we're not going to be bombing it downfield. He's playing it smart, just as Gibbs asks. He's not going to crack open the playbook and put his marquee players at risk when it simply isn't necessary. It's why Portis played very little and Springs didn't play at all. The interception was not his fault. Blame that one on Taylor "Look at me, I'm kinda fast!" Jacobs. He batted it down, not the defender. If I'm not mistaken, Brunell hasn't fumbled since the first Tampa debacle, but I could be wrong. True, he did miss a few recievers, but let's face it, the number one defense in the National Football League covered them pretty well. Joe Gibbs is sandbagging. He's running twice to eat clock, then maybe attempting a throw. If nothing's there, he's putting the faith in the defense, just as Gibbs is, by throwing it away. True, Gibbs is not telling him to throw it under or into coverage, but hey, he's doing a pretty fine job of what he needs to do to eat clock in a defensive football game.

In 1991, my dad went to an exhibition game at our local Williams-Brice stadium. Giants vs. Redskins. Unfortunately, at that time I was a little over 2 years old;; as such I do not remember the exact score, but the Redskins were blown out. As you all well know, the Redskins absolutely dominated when they had to. Last night, offensively, they simply didn't have to. They wanted to save every precious drop of offense for Seattle. So in that respect, Brunell is doing exactly what Gibbs asks of him. You are correct, Gibbs is not asking him to make bad throws. However, what Gibbs is asking him to do is to keep those bad throws to a minimum and to let the defense win the game [in the case of last night]. And he is doing that to perfection.

Hail Brunell and Hail to the Redskins.

I don't think you understood what I wrote...lol...I was talking about using the "Brunell's playing the way Gibbs wants him to play" explanation as a catch-all response towards anything dealing with Brunell's play...I've seen it used no matter what the discussion is about Brunell. And I was pointing out that things like missing open receivers or causing turnovers hardly qualify as playing "the way Gibbs wants him to play"..lol. It's become a cliche' tossed out in instances where it doesn't belong...

I don't think I need a 16 year old to be telling us what we're seeing on the field. Sorry, I been watching the game RELIGIOUSLY since I was 5. I'll take my opinion over yours.

You completely gloss over Brunell's mistakes, INCLUDING yesterday, but also including the times he's missed wide open WRs by not even LOOKING in their direction. Locking on receivers is something younger QBs are accused of, not the 'veteran.

And XNOUGHT---Trent Green with better passing ability? Are you joking? I can only IMAGINE what Trent Green would do with Moss.

There's a reason Brunell has the lowest amount of passing yards out of any full-time starting QB in the playoffs (meaning one who hasn't missed multiple games)

Outstanding post. I agree wholeheartedly. Brunell is one of the main reasons this team is now 11-6. Would you rather lose ugly or win pretty? I'd choose the former any day.

I think you mean win ugly or lose pretty! I'd take yesterday's win anyday!

I don't think I need a 16 year old to be telling us what we're seeing on the field. Sorry, I been watching the game RELIGIOUSLY since I was 5. I'll take my opinion over yours.

You completely gloss over Brunell's mistakes, INCLUDING yesterday, but also including the times he's missed wide open WRs by not even LOOKING in their direction. Locking on receivers is something younger QBs are accused of, not the 'veteran.

And XNOUGHT---Trent Green with better passing ability? Are you joking? I can only IMAGINE what Trent Green would do with Moss.

There's a reason Brunell has the lowest amount of passing yards out of any full-time starting QB in the playoffs (meaning one who hasn't missed multiple games)

Look man, I don't need you getting personal about my age here. I went to my first football game [for the Game****s] when I was 3. I also happen to be a 3rd generation Redskins fan, and my grandfather has been a Skins fan for over 50 years. Which, I believe, is before you were born.

Also, I have no idea what game you were watching, because I certainly didn't see these WIDE OPEN RECIEVERS you were talking about. I'd say the Tampa defense did an excellent job of locking us down.

Now, all three of us talk frequently about our Redskins, and what we see is a proven leader. Which is also what Gibbs sees, and it's why he still starts.

With regard to your comment about Trent Green, he's not in the playoffs, is he? Apparently all the better throwing ability in the world couldn't get his team to the postseason.

This might be slightly off-topic, but let's look at Gibbs' decisions in the past couple years. Trade for Portis. People are unsure, proves a great decision. Trade for Brunell. Highly criticized, good decision. Trade for Moss. Everyone whines, GREAT decision.

So maybe if you don't want to take my opinion for it, you should take the opinion of the man who knows infinitely more than you do about the topic instead of telling me that I don't know what I'm looking at because I'm younger than you are.

Yes, because we are a running team primarly :)

Bradshaw did say he plamed the offense on the play calling, not the players. Meaning we curled up and held on.

Archived