Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's debunk the "banged-up secondary" myth once and for all

jrockster21

**EDIT: Just wanted to point this out -- our "banged-up secondary" had little effect on this game. What did? The pass-rush. Who else specifically made an impact? Sean Taylor and Cornelius Griffin. Word to ya mammy.**

So as I'm sure most rational football fans know, a secondary at any level has a much easier job when there is pressure on the quarterback. Plain and simple. Get to the QB, he has less time to throw, the DBs have to maintain coverage for a smaller amount of time. Its basic math.

The last time we played, this was glaringly evident. It wasn't because the Skins' secondary was terrible the last time we played...they weren't. Not having Taylor was a huge factor, but not a 5 touchdown factor. The difference in the last game was the lack of pass-rush.

Why will things be different this time?

1. Big Joe was hobbled last time, now he is 100% and playing like a raving Samoan lunatic once again.
  2. Cornelius is back to 100% and playing as good as he ever has...he provides a huge push along the dline
  3. Those two guys alone should be enough to put enough pressure on Chrissy to force her into mistakes. It doesn't take much.
  4. Phillip Daniels is inexplicably playing like a madman for some reaons. 6 sacks in the last 3 games and a forced fumble -- he's Reggie White incarnate.
  5. "The tarantula with frickin' laser beams on his helmet" (credit to Om ) will be patrolling the secondary. So with the increased pressure Chrissy is facing, he will also have ST in the back of his mind forcing him into more mistakes. Don't be fooled; every QB the Skins face has ST in the back of their minds.

With those factors, a secondary consisting of Rogers and Harris, with Patterson and Prioleau rotating in, will be more than sufficient to shut down the passing game.

The moral of the story?? Never fear, Skins fans!! I think Springs will play anyway, albeit banged up. But he's been playing banged up all year...and we've done alright.

Skins 31 - Bucs 17

Another point -- everyone sees how pumped up Marcus Washington is during the regular season -- imagine how off the chain crazy pumped up he's going to be against Tampa this week. He's had 4 or 5 sacks the past 3 weeks as well...He's blitzing as well as he did last year, if not better. I don't think Chrissy wants to feel the wrath of Marcus.

I still worry about the secondary as the Eagles hit big on a couple of plays.

Well, I see that more as a case of the team coming out flat in Philly for some reason. The secondary solidified in the second half (alliteration, whoo!) after the guys woke up from their New Year's Eve hangovers. :) Plus, on the second TD was when Springs reinjured his groin, which is why Brown got free.

I would be most worried about Springs actually being a detriment by trying to play when he's not 100% healthy. He is definitely a pivotal part of the defense, but if not 100%, he can hurt the team (a la Philthy).

If our D-Line plays the way it did vs the Eagles we will have another tough game. They kinda let us down after 2 very strong games in a row vs Dallas and New York.

Also, if Springs can't play we lose alot more than just our best cover guy, we lose a DB that can make tackles.

Taylor playing this time around vs the Bucs should be a lift but if we have to blitz to get pressure on the QB we are going to be in trouble.

I have images from the last game vs the Bucs where we would blitz and still couldn't get much pressure on Simms, leaving him with man to man coverage all over the field.

The front 4 is going to have to step up and play like they did vs the Cowboys and Giants, it is definately the key to the game.

On Daniels, the return of Griff and the health of Joe have prevented opposing QBs from stepping away from him and, on several occasions, has forced the opposing QB into him. Further, we aren't seeing as much max-pro as we saw earlier as teams found out while the may avoid the sack, they don't avoid the punt. Also, we're getting multi-possesion leads, so the defense can just pin their ears.

In any case, I think it Griff that's key. In all our worse defensive showings, he missed the game (or at least the greater part of it). ST will hawk any bad passes Simms throws, so he's going to have to throw the ball away after 2-3 seconds or just let himself get sacked. Also, ST will make the receivers go all alligator so Simms will HAVE to be accurate.

yea i am not as worried about the secondary as many people are...i can think back to having garnell wilds helping shut down randy moss last seaon...galloway is not randy by any stretch of the imagination. i know we dont have wilds anymore but the point is GW can stick it to a reciever with no names...we'll be fine

I still worry about the secondary as the Eagles hit big on a couple of plays.

On one big pass, the problem was Springs was in one coverage while Prioleau thought it was something else. On a couple of others, I don't care if we had DG in his prime cloned to play both CB spots, the Eagles executed and there was NOTHING we could do. Any players in the NFL will execute at least once in a while, and it your in the wrong defense, you WILL get burned.

yea i am not as worried about the secondary as many people are...i can think back to having garnell wilds helping shut down randy moss last seaon...galloway is not randy by any stretch of the imagination. i know we dont have wilds anymore but the point is GW can stick it to a reciever with no names...we'll be fine

whatever happened to wilds anyways? i've been wondering this for some time

So as I'm sure most rational football fans know, a secondary at any level has a much easier job when there is pressure on the quarterback. Plain and simple. Get to the QB, he has less time to throw, the DBs have to maintain coverage for a smaller amount of time. Its basic math.

The last time we played, this was glaringly evident. It wasn't because the Skins' secondary was terrible the last time we played...they weren't. Not having Taylor was a huge factor, but not a 5 touchdown factor. The difference in the last game was the lack of pass-rush.

Why will things be different this time?

1. Big Joe was hobbled last time, now he is 100% and playing like a raving Samoan lunatic once again.
  2. Cornelius is back to 100% and playing as good as he ever has...he provides a huge push along the dline
  3. Those two guys alone should be enough to put enough pressure on Chrissy to force her into mistakes. It doesn't take much.
  4. Phillip Daniels is inexplicably playing like a madman for some reaons. 6 sacks in the last 3 games and a forced fumble -- he's Reggie White incarnate.
  5. "The tarantula with frickin' laser beams on his helmet" (credit to Om ) will be patrolling the secondary. So with the increased pressure Chrissy is facing, he will also have ST in the back of his mind forcing him into more mistakes. Don't be fooled; every QB the Skins face has ST in the back of their minds.

I've got a list.

1. Our secondary is banged up, that's not a myth.

2. You didn't debunk anything with your post.

Explain to me why the Eagles crappy QB was able to shred our defense for so much of last game? I'm worried about this week in a big way. We need to get healthy in the secondary and QB or we dont' stand a chance.

I've got a list.

1. Our secondary is banged up, that's not a myth.

2. You didn't debunk anything with your post.

Explain to me why the Eagles crappy QB was able to shred our defense for so much of last game? I'm worried about this week in a big way. We need to get healthy in the secondary and QB or we dont' stand a chance.

Simple; people (such as yourself) want to use the "our secondary is banged-up" rationale as a reason as to why we aren't going to have problems. A couple things:

Last year, the defense finished strong, despite having I think only 2 or 3 of 11 original starters on the field. This year they are finishin strong as well, despite the not-so-great first-half showing in Philly.

What can you say about Philly? They had a very good game plan...and killed us with the draw. Once they had some success on the ground, the passing game opened up more. But in the second half, the defense stepped up and shut down the run game, and the passing game was likewise shut down. The Iggles had 215 yards of offense in the first half compared to only 100 in the second half. Don't think for a second that the defense is going to repeat their first half performance this week.

Oh, and for your reference:

de·bunk Audio pronunciation of "debunk" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-bngk)

tr.v. de·bunked, de·bunk·ing, de·bunks

To expose or ridicule the falseness, sham, or exaggerated claims of

All I'm saying is that people are over-exaggerating the effect of a "banged-up" secondary. We're going to have all but one starter, and Sean Taylor (arguably the most important piece of the secondary) will be back. So yes, I believe I did debunk it.

Excellent point -- the other key to that game was the constant pressure on Daunte. He was hurried and knocked down a ton, and I think sacked 3 or 4 times...any other QB would have been sacked more times, but Daunte is a beast.

Yeah Griffen and Taylor back will mean a tough day for Mr. Simms. We did come out flat against Philthy, but look at how they played with Springs out of the game in the 2nd half.

Another great point -- the defense did not have Springs and stepped up big time in the 2nd half to put the game away. A big part of that? PRESSURE ON THE QB.

Here's to Chrissy Sims getting smacked around a ton tomorrow!! :cheers:

Hey, if they think we have a banged up secondary, let them think that. I mean just let them throw it up and pick it off.

:laugh: :laugh:

[madden]

What you're trying to do on defense, is you're trying to put your players in a position to get in front of the ball when the quarterback, when the QB throws the ball to his receivers. If you can do that, then you've put your guys in a good position to intercept the ball. That's a turnover!

[/madden]

:laugh:

From a different thread, but I wanted to repost it in this one...right on the money.

Although we lost the game, the sacks and turnover flood started with the return of Griffen in the SD game which when included gives us 20/20 numbers. In the first 10 games, we had 15 sacks and about 18 takeaways. Over the 3 Griff missed plus the one he missed most, we only had about 4 takeaways and 5 sacks. So, in Griffin's 12 complete games, we forced 34 takeaways and 30 sacks. With Griff in the game, we take the ball away and put greater pressure on the QB.

What can you say about Philly? They had a very good game plan...and killed us with the draw. Once they had some success on the ground, the passing game opened up more. But in the second half, the defense stepped up and shut down the run game, and the passing game was likewise shut down. The Iggles had 215 yards of offense in the first half compared to only 100 in the second half. Don't think for a second that the defense is going to repeat their first half performance this week.

That's pretty good analysis, and I think right on.

However, we gotta face reality. If Springs doesn't play we are going with Walt Harris and Ade Jimoh as starting corners. If the pass rush works your point is well made. If not...they couldn't cover me and you.

That's pretty good analysis, and I think right on.

However, we gotta face reality. If Springs doesn't play we are going with Walt Harris and Ade Jimoh as starting corners. If the pass rush works your point is well made. If not...they couldn't cover me and you.

Rogers is back this week, and will be starting over Jimoh (I would assume). And if he doesn't "start," he'll be in the majority of "packages." :)

Archived