Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Open Message to Dan Snyder

Tomel

One thing that's perfectly clear to me, as a long-time Redskin fan, is that coaching is a CRITCAL element in a team's ultimate success. As a retired business executive, I know that having the right leaders in key positions in an organization is ABSOLUTELY the most important job of the CEO and the senior management team. Even if the Tampa game is the Redskin's last game of the season, making the playoffs in only the second year of Gibb's return and only for the second time since Gibb's left the Skins, proves my point. Sure, good players are important, but coaching is the glue that holds everything together and makes a team great.

You've spent a lot of money on players since buying the Redskins. Well, now's the time to spend whatever it takes to keep the Skin's coaching staff together. The Redskin's franchise is the most valuable in the NFL and there's no cap on coaching salaries, so you need to make sure that when one of our current coaches leave, it's due to retirement, not because they were lured away by another team. In the case of Gregg Williams, money alone might not do it. Therefore, give serious consideration to giving Williams a guarantee that he will be Gibb's successor when Gibb's retires. Maybe even give Williams a bigger role in the Redskin's organization in the meantime (only with Gibb's concurrence and support, of course).

Mr. Snyder, I'm probably just as big a fan of the Skin's as you are (the first coach I remember is Bill McPeak). I don't want this trip to the playoffs to be the last one for another six years. Let's not find ourselves next December with regrets that we've missed the playoffs because we failed to take the actions we need to take now. This is where YOU, as a fellow avid fan, can really make a difference in what will happen over the next several years.

Hail to the Redskins! Tampa Bay, here we come!!!!

Therefore, give serious consideration to giving Williams a guarantee that he will be Gibb's successor when Gibb's retires.

It's already been done. Gregg Williams knows if he stays, he gets the keys to the team the minute Joe Gibbs heads back home.

Good point. Honestly, as long as Joe Gibbs is Redskins Head Coach, I hope that Gregg Williams does stay as Redskins Assistant Head Coach-Defense. He keeps things intact, very organized, and helped the Redskins' Defense have a killer instinct. Along with Gibbs and the whole coaching staff, Williams really helped turn around the Washington Redskins into the competitive football team that it is right now. I know he wants to be a NFL head coach someday, but I hope he becomes the next Redskins' Head Coach should Joe Gibbs step down again. Right now, Williams is definitely learning a lot from Gibbs, thus gaining more valuable knowledge on running the team. As for Dan Snyder, I hope he does keep the coaching staff as well as a majority of the roster in order to have more continuity within the Redskins' organization. If the Redskins maintain continuity with their players and coaches, they will be a great football team with championships in years to come. I know Joe Gibbs understands that perspective.

It's already been done. Gregg Williams knows if he stays, he gets the keys to the team the minute Joe Gibbs heads back home.

Simply put, the 'Skins can't do that. They may WANT Williams to think he has that guarantee. They may NEED the players to think he has that guarantee. They may want EVERYONE to think that has happened. Bottom line is, you never know what the future may bring & you have to keep your options open.

NOW......what the 'Skins can do....and I would venture a guess have done is to have inserted a clause into GW's contract that says, in effect:

"We all think you will be the next head coach of the Redskins; however, life is a crap shoot. So, here's what were going to do. Should you turn down other head coaching jobs to say here in a lesser capacity AND subsequently do NOT get the head coaching job here; then, wheelbarrows full of money shall magically appear at your front door at regular intervals for quite a long time."

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Simply put, the 'Skins can't do that. They may WANT Williams to think he has that guarantee. They may NEED the players to think he has that guarantee. They may want EVERYONE to think that has happened. Bottom line is, you never know what the future may bring & you have to keep your options open.

NOW......what the 'Skins can do....and I would venture a guess have done is to have inserted a clause into GW's contract that says, in effect:

"We all think you will be the next head coach of the Redskins; however, life is a crap shoot. So, here's what were going to do. Should you turn down other head coaching jobs to say here in a lesser capacity AND subsequently do NOT get the head coaching job here; then, wheelbarrows full of money shall magically appear at your front door at regular intervals for quite a long time."

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Normally, I don't put too much stock in The Washington Post, but this paragraph is a good one -

League and team sources said they anticipate Redskins owner Daniel Snyder will do everything he can to retain Williams, whom he made one of the highest-paid assistants in NFL history when he hired him in 2004. Snyder has the means to match the financial package any team could offer, and it is already a well-established tenet within the organization that when Gibbs, 65 and in the second year of a five-year deal, leaves coaching, the job would go to Williams, 47, should he still be here.

full story link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/02/AR2006010201178.html

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Yes, I agree. Let's say, for example, GW has no plans to leave. So why doesn't GW simply put these rumors to rest and state he is staying, if he is staying? Because all the interest in him and offers made towards him increase his value and his future earnings while with the Redskins.

Danny has shown time and time again that money is no object. He already has easily the highest payroll wrapped up in his coaching staff. I have no fear that salary will be the issue if Williams leaves. If he leaves it will be because he wants to be a HC again right now.

Mr. Snyder,

Please make it clear to Greg Williams that this is his team when Coach Gibbs leaves. Make him feel like he has a longtime future and job security as a Coach and not even give it a thought of leaving for another team "IF YOU" make it clear to him that his future is here as a Head Coach and he develop his dreams and asperations here as a longtime Coach. Remember sir, Coach Gibbs builds teams on character, and longevity and the writing is on the wall to keep Greg Williams as a longtime Redskins Coach with a future for sucess. I am a third geeration fan and my son will be a fourth and I have proudly wore the Redskins colors all over the world while serving in the service for ten years and beyond. Every fan appricates your dedication and hard work along with the stress you encounter as a team owner. Thank you. Please make it clear to Greg Williams during the playoffs, and that will even add additional motivation to the team which will carry them through to the Superbowl. Sincerely, Kentuckyskinsfan.

It's a good post, but I think Snyder is way ahead of you. As CLB said, I don't think they can make any guarantees, but Snyder will do everything he can to keep Williams, who I think wants to stay anyways. Williams is the right hand man to a HOF coach for one of the proudest and most financially successful teams in the league. Why leave now?

Great post, excellent points. Love the fact you rep. being a retired bus. exec. and correlate that to football!

I think the larger point, however, is the continuity of the coaching staff (in addition to being a skilled staff). For the first time since Joe left we've got coaches that are competent (Norv is not one of these) and had the chance to actually put the team together for more than just a single season (Spurrier doesn't count b/c that coward quit in the middle of the second year). So I believe this is the most important aspect of the coaching situation. As far as Gregg Willy goes, we will be fine if he is the only one to leave. Remember we have cats playing the role of position coach that were D-coordinators before they came here and some, such as Greg Blache, were considered to be head coaching candidates before they came here. If GW left and Blache had to take over, I think we'd be just fine...

Let's hope we can all stay one big happy family, though! Go 'Skins!

1. Williams is already one of the highest paid coordinators in the NFL. In fact, he may be the highest paid, period. And he's already the de facto successor to Gibbs. So, Snyder has already done everything he can to keep him around. If he leaves, it will be because he'd rather live somewhere else, or he'd rather have something Snyder won't give (all I can think of is managerial powers). Either that, or he figures his stock won't get any higher than it already is, and he sees no point in waiting.

2. If he leaves, it's not the end of the world. Really. They'll promote another coach, or hire someone else.

I'd like to see Williams stay, but I'd understand completely if he wants to be a head coach again, and he doesn't want to wait.

Archived